With Calderwood + Johnson | Vital Football

With Calderwood + Johnson

SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Leaving have we, are we looking to, replace them.
Both roles seem pivotal to us.
I think it was no coincidence that results improved once CC arrived and certainly the sheer number of players signed over recent seasons scouting has become crucial now we have reached this level.

And why did CC leave anyway? Assistant coach here to assistant coach at Northampton? Seems a bit odd to me.

And why did CC leave anyway? Assistant coach here to assistant coach at Northampton? Seems a bit odd to me.
He lives in Northampton and wanted to be closer to home. He's definitely on the wind down career wise.

I don't think we'll replace Johnson.

I think the Head of Football Operations, John Stephenson will probably pick up most of what Johnson did

I'd like to see someone come in to support Critch like Calderwood did.
I was talking with PHT last night about crowds.
Gone are the likes of Crawley, MK Dons bringing 150 to us, every team this season will sell out their allocation of 2500.
That's a lot of £ to the club, and it's crucial we stay in this division to help us secure the long term aims of the club.

I also think it would be sensible to bring in another coach with experience at championship level. We have a big squad and you often need specialst coaches with a lot to do

Blackpool Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Stuart McCall as an Assistant Head Coach.
The vastly experienced player and manager, 57, replaces Colin Calderwood on Neil Critchley’s backroom staff, who recently joined Northampton Town.
McCall, whose father Andy played for Blackpool during the late 40s and early 50s, started his career as a midfielder with Bradford City, achieving two promotions, including one to the Premier League as captain.
Three years at Everton followed, prior to becoming a five-time league title winner at Rangers, where McCall made more than 200 appearances and lifted the Scottish Cup on three occasions.
After finishing his playing days at Sheffield United and working as an assistant to Neil Warnock, he started the first of three managerial stints at Bradford City, where he holds legendary status.
He also had a highly successful spell managing Motherwell in the SPL, guiding the club to a Scottish Cup final and two second placed league finishes, amassing a record points total in the process.
Capped 40 times for Scotland, McCall joined the coaching staff of the national team for three years in 2013 as an assistant to Gordon Strachan, before returning to Bradford for the third time, reaching the League One play-off final in 2017.
Neil Critchley said:
“Stuart’s reputation and vast experiences within the game command respect. The knowledge that he has gained from an extensive playing, managerial and coaching career will be invaluable to me, the players and the staff.
“Stuart has shown a desire to come and join us here at Blackpool and after speaking to him, it was clear that he has lost none of his passion and enthusiasm for football. He will complement our excellent, existing staff and I’m delighted that he is joining us before we start our journey back in the Championship in a few weeks’ time.”
Stuart McCall added:
“To be joining Blackpool is special. My sister was born in Blackpool and my dad played with the likes of Stanley Matthews and Stan Mortensen. He always told some good stories about his time there.
“I’m really excited for the challenge and to become part of the team. The Club and in particular the coaching staff did an outstanding job last season - I obviously know Steve Banks well – and I now want to come in and be a key part of the group as well. I’m here to support Neil in the best way I can.”