2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 93 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

This is utterly irrelevant IMO.

It is about what we are left with from last season, not the difficulties everyone is encountering in the market.

A team that has a solid squad with good balance between goals and defence can afford to make the "but the market is shit" argument.

Cardiff have done fairly mundane business and now declare they'll be doing no more.

But they can afford to because they have more than enough to be competitive as they are.

Only the fantasist end of the optimists on this forum believe the squad we have left over from last season's debacle is good enough to remain in this division. I note that not a single person on the forum seems to harbour any hopes of the team actually pushing on from being relegation battlers.

It really, really doesn't matter what the realities of the market are; the club's past disasters mean that they have to make things happen in the next 3-4 weeks or they will be responsible for our third term in tier 3.

No "realities of the market" can counteract that simple reality.

"It really, really doesn't matter what the realities of the market are; the club's past disasters mean that they have to make things happen in the next 3-4 weeks or they will be responsible for our third term in tier 3."

So we are going to get relegated unless we sign players but the fact that Clubs do not want to do business yet doesn't really really matter!

The realities of the market do matter, they matter a great deal; its not an argument as you put it or an excuse, it is a fact driven by the incredibly poor financial state of many clubs.

"No "realities of the market" can counteract that simple reality"

The simple reality you allude to is nothing more than a simple opinion.

Don't lets kid ourselves here, this is not about a relegation battle; its about not signing the players to get us into the play offs, and no amount of wrist slashing can disguise that fact.

"It really, really doesn't matter what the realities of the market are; the club's past disasters mean that they have to make things happen in the next 3-4 weeks or they will be responsible for our third term in tier 3."

So we are going to get relegated unless we sign players but the fact that Clubs do not want to do business yet doesn't really really matter!

The realities of the market do matter, they matter a great deal; its not an argument as you put it or an excuse, it is a fact driven by the incredibly poor financial state of many clubs.

"No "realities of the market" can counteract that simple reality"

The simple reality you allude to is nothing more than a simple opinion.

Don't lets kid ourselves here, this is not about a relegation battle; its about not signing the players to get us into the play offs, and no amount of wrist slashing can disguise that fact.
The thought of us reaching the top half this season has genuinely never occured to me.

Of course it is opinion. But it is opinion that is far more backed up by the facts than any opinion that places us higher

Maybe it would be more productive to talk about what we would like to see from whatever squad is constructed.

One of the big ones for me would be a good free kick taker. The last reliable free kick scorer we had was Earnshaw- a free kick in the right area for him was almost as good as a penalty (better than his actual penalties in fact).

I want a player to go down and get a free kick and to be getting out of my seat, expecting something might happen.

I would like more threats at set pieces. Cardiff went up because they could win tight games by sorting from headers at set pieces.

I would love to see us ditch 4-2-3-1. I'm sick of it

As a matter of interest what formation would you like to see?

Personally I have no problems with 4 2 3 1 but it has its limitations when your full backs are no good at getting forward.

I have a feeling that if we get the players he wants Hughton will go 4 3 3

There is absolutely nothing about that or the current Cardiff team I would like to see us to emulate; I detest Warnock and would not be a big fan of McCarthy either.

As a matter of interest what formation would you like to see?

Personally I have no problems with 4 2 3 1 but it has its limitations when your full backs are no good at getting forward.

I have a feeling that if we get the players he wants Hughton will go 4 3 3

There is absolutely nothing about that or the current Cardiff team I would like to see us to emulate; I detest Warnock and would not be a big fan of McCarthy either.

I'm happy to leave the tactics to the tactians beyond the simple statement that, as a fan seeking entertainment, I am sick of seeing 4-2-3-1/ 4-1-4-1

I miss the days of striking partnerships, but I'd be happy with anything different that works

The thought of us reaching the top half this season has genuinely never occured to me.

Of course it is opinion. But it is opinion that is far more backed up by the facts than any opinion that places us higher

But surely the only facts which have changed since the end of last season are:

1. we have gotten rid of plenty of dead wood and some ineffective loans who we are far better rid of

2. we have some talented youngsters back in the squad.

Of the the loans there are only Garner (a big loss) and Kronovic, and possibly Christie who I would have kept, but the last two should be fairly easy to replace.

Its asking a lot for youngsters like Johnson to play well with any level of consistency, but it is far from impossible; but if that is how we have to start the season so be it.

Coventry do alright by playing with a team full of kids.

I'm happy to leave the tactics to the tactians beyond the simple statement that, as a fan seeking entertainment, I am sick of seeing 4-2-3-1/ 4-1-4-1

I miss the days of striking partnerships, but I'd be happy with anything different that works

I do not think you will be seeing strike partnerships back anytime soon, not with the way the game is going; there is far too much emphasis on winning the midfield.

But surely the only facts which have changed since the end of last season are:

1. we have gotten rid of plenty of dead wood and some ineffective loans who we are far better rid of

2. we have some talented youngsters back in the squad.

Of the the loans there are only Garner (a big loss) and Kronovic, and possibly Christie who I would have kept, but the last two should be fairly easy to replace.

Its asking a lot for youngsters like Johnson to play well with any level of consistency, but it is far from impossible; but if that is how we have to start the season so be it.

Coventry do alright by playing with a team full of kids.
The players that have left constituted 38% of the goals we scored last season plus another 9 assists.

We didn't score or create all that many in the first place.

Those loans were ineffective in comparison to most other clubs in the championship, but in comparison to the contracted players who are still here, they were pretty vital.

The players leaving also constitute half of the solid defence (which was the only reason we survived).

I don't disagree that the players who left weren't very good. The problem is that those left behind are mostly even worse. From that point of view I can't just dismiss them as crap and unimportant

Am I the only one that thinks we'll do alright this season?
Just a hunch.
I'm on the fence but I'm thinking we can't be as bad, he's had a pre season and all last season to get something going but we need a few quality additions to make us competitive. He needs to be more attacking, way to cautious last season even when behind he seemed to want to keep it tight.

Have that “hunch” every year…including this one

Despite me often giving stick to pope what seems every pre season, I do appreciate that I get over optimistic as the season approaches. :D

I actually backed us e.w after 4 games last season at big prices cos I had a hunch we werent really that bad. But we were.
Then I had a hunch England were gonna win the Euros. But we didnt.

I aint doing hunches this season or if I do I need one that says I have hunch we wont sign any strikers

Not sure if its been talked about but Warren Joyce is in to oversee the kids and Holmesy has gone. Obviously Joyce has a lot of experience with the Manure kids so we should see this as another positive. Gl to Gareth tho wherever hes going, he seemed a straight up guy and obviously has brought though many of our young talent with good attitudes, not just ability

I believe we will not be a lower half of table. I also believe we will do some business to strengthen those areas we all know is weak. I also believe we will finish above Cardiff. I therefore am one that feels we will push on this season. Even without additions, which would be disappointing, we are stronger, better prepared, psychologically and physically stronger. A few additions will make this a top ten team. Confidence will help even more. Goals would complete the picture.

Think this only happens with additions but imo we do have that core around which to build. You would hope we are over the play off that never was and have got to grips with covid. Agree with ingy tho, most of the other teams are similar to us and the margins are fine. Who knows where a bit of confidence might take us.