Euros Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Euros Thread

Very worrying Bob. The Jocks wanted it more than us. Unacceptable.

Absolutely Bear, we didn't know how to play against them, struggled badly to find another gear.
It doesn't matter that Kanes head is elsewhere, it appears he will always be Southgates first choice. Favouritism with players won't win us much at all, it never has done imho.
Surely we expect better football than that from the chosen ones ?

I actually watched it live here in Oz and to be frank (strange that when my name is Bob!), it looked like a typically negative 'Southgate Set-up'. They looked devoid of ideas and were nearly embarrassed by the Sweaties on more than one occasion. Granted England will move through to the knockout phase but you'd have to hope they don't meet a strong team there....

Well Bob, all sides come up against it at some point. Teams like Italy and France have had brilliant starts, but rest assured, only one team will win it.
Who thought Portugal would win it at after this stage last Euros ?

We played like we did when we got hoofed out by Iceland. Nothing happening up front, no players (other than Foden) making runs, no one touch triangles, no one moving into space so a pass could be made. They looked scared to attack, almost like they were told to play for a draw.

We seem to ace the qualifiers but switch off when it counts at the tournament. Hopefully it’s a case of not peaking just yet and as we progress we turn it on.

Kane or whoever is up front needs service from the midfield. We need goals like Portugal, Italy, France and Germany are creating.

Crazy seeing people calling for Southgate to be sacked now. Total knee jerk reaction to a poor performance. People expecting us to batter Scotland were deluded. It was always going to be a tough match.

Let’s see what team and formation goes out on Tuesday and if GS can turn it round.

What team and formation would you go with?

https://team-picker.files.bbci.co.u...ting-xi-28e30d720149af011ea6348e2d5f991f.html

I’ve put a few fresh faces on with Bellingham and Sancho with DCL up front. If our ‘big names’ aren’t cutting it then we have a big squad who will gladly step in. Hope Kane comes good though.

Attachments

• 20A723CD-D36C-49E4-87CB-8487DE55251B.jpeg
    20A723CD-D36C-49E4-87CB-8487DE55251B.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 2
Watched a very lacklustre Spain struggling against a poor Poland this morning. But, like others have said, these are often the teams that go on and win it!

Kane is very good on occasion but try’s to get decisions when he falls over which he is quite good at…Over rated in my view.

All your comments that I have read about Englands first 2 games (I have not been able to watch due to broadcast restrictions In Oz---Optus only) is not giving me any confidence for the more important stages to come. Hopefully they can lift their game so we do not suffer the usual disappointment.

All your comments that I have read about Englands first 2 games (I have not been able to watch due to broadcast restrictions In Oz---Optus only) is not giving me any confidence for the more important stages to come. Hopefully they can lift their game so we do not suffer the usual disappointment.
Hopefully we’ll peak when it counts. 1990 World Cup was a slow burner 1-1 with Ireland, 0-0 Holland and 1-0 Egypt.

If we’d drawn with Croatia and beaten Scotland 1-0, people probably wouldn’t be chuntering as much.

Hopefully we’ll peak when it counts. 1990 World Cup was a slow burner 1-1 with Ireland, 0-0 Holland and 1-0 Egypt.

If we’d drawn with Croatia and beaten Scotland 1-0, people probably wouldn’t be chuntering as much.
Aye, rarely do you get a team win all the way through a tournament. Even in 1966 we opened up with a 0-0 draw with Uruguay, but people forget that as we went on to win it. The brilliant Spain team of 2010 lost their opening game to Switzerland and their biggest win was a 2-0 win v Honduras. Again, all forgotten because they went on to win it.

If people had offered us four points from six and two clean sheets before the tournament, we'd have taken it.

Were we good the other night? No. But a bit of perspective and bit less negativity is required (bit like during Blackpool's season!). Equally though, pundits got too carried away after the Croatia win (which was nothing more than professional).

I'd much rather drop in a shit performance in the second group game and still come out of it with a point than do it a knockout game and be hearing home. Hopefully lessons learned and the bar gets raised going forwards.

I'd much rather be in our position than Spain, France, Germany or Portugal after two games.

Aye, rarely do you get a team win all the way through a tournament. Even in 1966 we opened up with a 0-0 draw with Uruguay, but people forget that as we went on to win it. The brilliant Spain team of 2010 lost their opening game to Switzerland and their biggest win was a 2-0 win v Honduras. Again, all forgotten because they went on to win it.

If people had offered us four points from six and two clean sheets before the tournament, we'd have taken it.

Were we good the other night? No. But a bit of perspective and bit less negativity is required (bit like during Blackpool's season!). Equally though, pundits got too carried away after the Croatia win (which was nothing more than professional).

I'd much rather drop in a shit performance in the second group game and still come out of it with a point than do it a knockout game and be hearing home. Hopefully lessons learned and the bar gets raised going forwards.

I'd much rather be in our position than Spain, France, Germany or Portugal after two games.
Yeah we reserved out crap game against Iceland when we got knocked out last time. Much my wife’s Icelandic families joy.

Imagine the people calling for Southgates sacking will be the ones lauding him as a hero if we win. Bit like with Critchley’s start to last season!

We have the team but do they have the mentality? Hopefully, but what a response from Germany though after their first match.

Im not enjoying the commentary at all. Savage and McCoist especially (though I actually sometimes feel sorry for Savage at times. Think he gets picked on a bit by some). Danny Murphy quite negative. Micah is good - complete loon. I prefer unbiased commentary during the game and then whatever goes at half and full time.

I hope GS plays some of the other lads like Bellingham and Sancho and gives Grealish a full run. Bellingham looks to be shaping into a fantastic player. He’s going to be a proper unit when he gets older.

Yeah we reserved out crap game against Iceland when we got knocked out last time. Much my wife’s Icelandic families joy.

Imagine the people calling for Southgates sacking will be the ones lauding him as a hero if we win. Bit like with Critchley’s start to last season!

We have the team but do they have the mentality? Hopefully, but what a response from Germany though after their first match.

Im not enjoying the commentary at all. Savage and McCoist especially (though I actually sometimes feel sorry for Savage at times. Think he gets picked on a bit by some). Danny Murphy quite negative. Micah is good - complete loon. I prefer unbiased commentary during the game and then whatever goes at half and full time.

I hope GS plays some of the other lads like Bellingham and Sancho and gives Grealish a full run. Bellingham looks to be shaping into a fantastic player. He’s going to be a proper unit when he gets older.
I've been quite happy to watch several of the games on mute whilst her indoors has music on. A lot of commentators and pundits are piss poor.

I thought Bellingham put himself about well when he came on as a sub v Croatia. I'd start him v the Czechs and go 442: Pickford, Shaw, Mings, Stones, James, Grealish, Bellingham, Phillips, Foden, Kane, Rashford.

I've been quite happy to watch several of the games on mute whilst her indoors has music on. A lot of commentators and pundits are piss poor.

I thought Bellingham put himself about well when he came on as a sub v Croatia. I'd start him v the Czechs and go 442: Pickford, Shaw, Mings, Stones, James, Grealish, Bellingham, Phillips, Foden, Kane, Rashford.

I would replace Kane Rashford or both at HT if they are not firing on all cylinders. One cannot carry out of form players for too long.

Re commentators, the 3 criteria should be are they knowledgeable and well informed, would you like to share a drink with them and how would you feel if your son or daughter bought one home? Micah Richards passes all the tests. Ian Wright is okay too. Sourness and McMoist are the worst on every measure.