2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 38 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

If. And I know it is a big if. If we were to have the likes of Garner, Clarke, McCormack (never seen the latter play) surely it would help some of our younger players coming through. They see what they have to do and learn some of their habits. The last decent Derby team, when managed by Lampard benefitted from three young players amongst a fairly ordinary squad. Nearly made it.

Yep...in spite of what others might think, can't argue with the stats when he played.

True.

He may have been an extremely limited player, but looking at the stats of when he played versus when he didn't play, he was probably one of our best and most important players this millennium.

If. And I know it is a big if. If we were to have the likes of Garner, Clarke, McCormack (never seen the latter play) surely it would help some of our younger players coming through. They see what they have to do and learn some of their habits. The last decent Derby team, when managed by Lampard benefitted from three young players amongst a fairly ordinary squad. Nearly made it.

And then after they didn't make it and those young kids had to go back and couldn't be replaced, they became relegation fodder.

Garner will be picked up by someone like Norwich, who will play him in the cups and maybe about 5 starts in the PL.

I also would feel better with Rib and Ameobi. Goodness knows, I don't think either are world beaters and Sammy is one of the most frustrating players in our squad. But he'll score 5 a season and probably set up another five; that would be more than a quarter of the pathetic goals total we reached last season. I would prefer him to a hole in the team sheet.

No doubt what we'll do is sign a winger to replace him who would be absolutely brilliant if we had signed him four seasons before. See the Official Nottingham Forest Transfer Playbook; the chapters on Carayol, Adomah and Arter.

Worth pointing out that Ribeiro made it very clear that he did not want to sign a new contract and was ideally looking for a move back to Portugal.

I was told that Ameobi was offered new terms, but declined.

I agree with most of that but am surprised you suggest additions by end of month. Most agents will be away at Euro’s jollies till July 11 th and players, staff away on hols till similar date. Can’t see much movement in transfers anywhere till mid July and players back in pre season. I say this so as to keep expectation down. I would like to think you are right as early movement indicates forward planning and better preparation but think everyone is in same boat and in need of a break.

Lot's of out of contract players and those approaching last year, where clubs are needing to cut their cloth - would not be shocked to see a few arrivals before end of June.

Worth pointing out that Ribeiro made it very clear that he did not want to sign a new contract and was ideally looking for a move back to Portugal.

I was told that Ameobi was offered new terms, but declined.

At what point did he make this clear? Before or after we signed Blackett as a replacement and dropped him?

At what point did he make this clear? Before or after we signed Blackett as a replacement and dropped him?

Hard to say too much, but he was not dropped (at start of last season) due to form.

Yuri was also amongst a few players that had said they were struggling with the lockdown & being unable to go home to see family etc.

Silva was engineering his move away and Carvalho was also not wanted by Sabri. Fair to say, there was quite a toxic environment with EM, Vrentzos, Sabri & the agents for certain players.

Clearly, we'd signed Iannou and Blackett, Bong had been told by Sabri he was free to leave and there was an expectation that both Yuri & Figgy were looking to secure moves back to Portugal.

Obviously these didn't materialise and the situation changed when Hughton arrived.

Notably Yuri went public with his departure before NFFC announced it, but a fair few players opted not to play with their contracts expiring, Yuri (to his credit) did feature.

Other players have been told they're free to leave, but that's easier said than done - given the wages involved, Hughton doesn't want bad apples.

A couple of worrying posts from okd and Will there.
I'd probably choose Serie A as well, if I had no love for forest.

V large player turn over coming, and six months of allowing them to gel. Whoop.

Linked with serie A sides but not good enough for us, obviously...
Not as simple as that is it?

Serie A is such a different game to the championship that it might as well be a different sport.

The pace is about 2/3 of the Championship, if that.

Krovinovic might have an end product in the form of goals, assists and key passes if he had Serie A time on the ball to produce them.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned his technical ability or said he isn't good enough for us.

But if he can't produce an end product at the speed the championship demands then yes, he'll be better in a slower, more technical league.

3 goals and 2 assists from 40 appearances (26 starts) in a promotion winning West Brom side suggests it's not just forest where his end product is an issue.

I personally would prefer him to a gaping hole in the midfield and he certainly added something to our terrible attack. But I don't see him as a panacea of future attacking performance

Not as simple as that is it?

Serie A is such a different game to the championship that it might as well be a different sport.

The pace is about 2/3 of the Championship, if that.

Krovinovic might have an end product in the form of goals, assists and key passes if he had Serie A time on the ball to produce them.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned his technical ability or said he isn't good enough for us.

But if he can't produce an end product at the speed the championship demands then yes, he'll be better in a slower, more technical league.

3 goals and 2 assists from 40 appearances (26 starts) in a promotion winning West Brom side suggests it's not just forest where his end product is an issue.

I personally would prefer him to a gaping hole in the midfield and he certainly added something to our terrible attack. But I don't see him as a panacea of future attacking performance
Nobody said he was the cure for all our ills but he helped West Brom to promotion and is being courted by Italian top tier sides yet still people seem to think he isn’t good enough for us. He has coped with a season and a half in the Championship so I am not sure why that is or why people would think he is only suited to a slower league.

It is also not as simple as how many goals and assists he gets. Plenty of midfielders have top careers without being noted for their goal scoring or assisting prowess.

A player who can hold onto the ball and pick a pass that then leads to other players creating chances is also of value and was something we were certainly lamenting throughout this season when our midfield couldn’t hold on to the ball for more than ten seconds at a time.

I get the basics of what you are saying but I don’t see why he couldn’t improve us and I certainly don’t agree with anyone suggesting he is not good enough for us or this league.

Nobody said he was the cure for all our ills but he helped West Brom to promotion and is being courted by Italian top tier sides yet still people seem to think he isn’t good enough for us. He has coped with a season and a half in the Championship so I am not sure why that is or why people would think he is only suited to a slower league.

It is also not as simple as how many goals and assists he gets. Plenty of midfielders have top careers without being noted for their goal scoring or assisting prowess.

A player who can hold onto the ball and pick a pass that then leads to other players creating chances is also of value and was something we were certainly lamenting throughout this season when our midfield couldn’t hold on to the ball for more than ten seconds at a time.

I get the basics of what you are saying but I don’t see why he couldn’t improve us and I certainly don’t agree with anyone suggesting he is not good enough for us or this league.
Who is saying he isn't good enough for us? Who has said he is only suited to a slower league?

My point about him a while ago was a general one about he loaners; we could easily blow our entire transfer budget twice over signing all the loaners permanently and, hey presto! We'd had a team just about capable of scoring 52 points and the lowest goals per game rate in our history.

Krovinovic has pretty poor end product for an attacking midfielder/winger at this level, particularly one who aspires to be in promotion sides. His stats are saying that, not me.

And while I fully agree with you about the other valuable contributions he can (and at times, does) make, the reality is that we desperately need wingers/AMs with an end product because we don't have that currently.

Who is saying he isn't good enough for us? Who has said he is only suited to a slower league?

My point about him a while ago was a general one about he loaners; we could easily blow our entire transfer budget twice over signing all the loaners permanently and, hey presto! We'd had a team just about capable of scoring 52 points and the lowest goals per game rate in our history.

Krovinovic has pretty poor end product for an attacking midfielder/winger at this level, particularly one who aspires to be in promotion sides. His stats are saying that, not me.

And while I fully agree with you about the other valuable contributions he can (and at times, does) make, the reality is that we desperately need wingers/AMs with an end product because we don't have that currently.

I take your point about the Leagues but could it also be to do with our style of play and those around him in the team?

I imagine he'd have looked good at a Brentford or Barnsley.

There have been plenty of people who have, both on here and elsewhere.

His stats aren’t great but Eriksson at Spurs was quite similar for a long time and as CP has said, in a different side he could easily be more productive. He has the ability...

Of the loanees we had I would have taken Christie, Garner and Krov. Garner was showing an end product from midfield and Christie was a reasonable attacking outlet but even so, these players would have been as well as rather than instead of any attacking players.

As an aside in a 433 I wouldn’t mind seeing Garner and Krov with Colback or a better version as the middle three. I could see Krov playing deeper quite easily in the right team...