2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

you would prefer to go for known quantities, that will be much more expensive, higher wages and as likely to fail as other known quantities as Knocks, Freeman and Arter. It is always a gamble and has a question mark against it. My gamble has youth and time on its side.

Last proven striker we signed was Grabban, as you've flagged, who's been worth the outlay, IMO.

Brentford have what 70m in transfer fees for the last 3 big attacking players they sold and probably another 20-30m to come from Toney?

Signing young talented players can absolutely work.

It works if your footballing philosophy allows them to thrive, like they’ve done.

It’s been said a million times but going from Warburton to Karanka to O’Neil is never going to see good young talent do the business consistently when they’re asked to adopt different roles within the team or the expectation changes with each manager.

Brentford have what 70m in transfer fees for the last 3 big attacking players they sold and probably another 20-30m to come from Toney?

Signing young talented players can absolutely work.

Brentford don’t sign young talent half heartedly. They sign, after watching over a long period of time and are happy to wait a season or two for them to develop. They often buy three or four young players, in close season, knowing only one or two make it big. They are not afraid to splash the cash to get talent. The ones that don’t make it are usually moved on, frequently at a small profit or loss. It relies on a metrics formulae and “money ball” data, but it works. They also play nice football that is a joy to watch.

I really want us to get Cat 1 status for our academy but that aside I would be more than happy if we were to run to a strategy of bringing my in mainly young talent backed by a couple of experienced players and a reasonable core of home grown players.

We certainly can’t keep going round in circles the way we have been. We have gone absolutely nowhere and spent a fortune getting there.

I really want us to get Cat 1 status for our academy but that aside I would be more than happy if we were to run to a strategy of bringing my in mainly young talent backed by a couple of experienced players and a reasonable core of home grown players.

We certainly can’t keep going round in circles the way we have been. We have gone absolutely nowhere and spent a fortune getting there.
There has to be a balance.

Ipswich followed a strategy of buying younger league one players and ended up as a league one team.

Absolutely get some top talent, but augment it with higher level dependability and experience.

Brentford don’t sign young talent half heartedly. They sign, after watching over a long period of time and are happy to wait a season or two for them to develop. They often buy three or four young players, in close season, knowing only one or two make it big. They are not afraid to splash the cash to get talent. The ones that don’t make it are usually moved on, frequently at a small profit or loss. It relies on a metrics formulae and “money ball” data, but it works. They also play nice football that is a joy to watch.

Still in the championship though ain’t they? Ain’t that good a system is it?

Ipswich followed a strategy of buying younger league one players and ended up as a league one team.

Absolutely get some top talent, but augment it with higher level dependability and experience.
It’s all down to the quality of player we bring in both in terms of the younger players and the more experienced.

Can’t be worse than what we have been doing the last decade or so...

We are full
Unless it's soh?

Hard to say right now, I've been disappointed not to see him the last couple of games at least.

I assume Modesto is still working for EM and therefore on the lookout for young talent across Europe. Forest have signed some promising youth recently.

the arrival of Stuttgart’s data whizz kid will strengthen info across Europe to assist recruitment.

Brass is well known in U.K. and knows lower leagues and development squads in U.K. very well. Wigan has got a good set of development teams from U18 thru to U 23.

Recruitment team looks promising.

Work on academy development due to start imminent. Not sure of timetable and finish date. Cat1 status may hinge on this though certain other elements are just as important. All this under Brazil oversight.

throughput to first team appears to developing a pathway. Worrall, Cash, Yates all went on loans before having breakthrough seasons as established first team members. They could in theory be joined by Johnson, Fornah and Gabriel. Mighten took a different route but has one foot firmly in first team. Another three or four are waiting in the wings to either be fast tracked or season loan next season. Add Mbe Soh and we have a good young nucleus.

Pope mentions, in earlier post the importance of balance, that having some experienced players would bring to a squad. This is important and the experience of Grabban, Lolley and Colback will be important. As is the likes of Worrall and McKenna who have youngish age but also experience.

The basis of a team/squad is there. A few positions are crying out for strengthening and some attributes, like speed ( thought as well as movement) need to be added. 3 or 4 quality players.

The squad is well versed in CH style and that will continue. The behind the scenes recruitment team has been put together. Squad size and wage Bill will be trimmed. Senior members are off to Greece to agree overall strategy and next steps. The correct 3 or 4 players being purchased is crucial. Not a big upheaval. We wait to see.

Still in the championship though ain’t they? Ain’t that good a system is it?

Indeed, people nosh their money ball off, but, whilst they have a shot of the prem, they're still playing in the same league with the same money troubles as NFFC.

Young players, this, youngs players that...y'all sound like a bunch of Richards.

Last edited:
Start by selling Figs so he's the next in line after Worrall / McKenna. Provided of course we hold onto Worrall
It’s more likely that Worrall will be sold than Figs as he is far more in-demand. While I would rather not lose Worrall though I am at least happy that we have a ready made replacement.

At the moment centre back is the one area I am not worried about although I am sure we will endeavour to balls that up...

Indeed, people nosh their money ball off, but, whilst they have a shot of the prem, they're still playing in the same league with the same money troubles as NFFC.

Young players, this, youngs players that...y'all sound like a bunch of Richards.

If you listen to one particular expert on here you will find we are a basket case of a Club because our wage bill jumped to 150% of income, albeit on a temporary basis.

Brentfica on the other hand had a wage bill of 25.8m last season on income of just under 14m, which works out at around 26% of income (definitely not 185%) if you use the CP method of accounting which means you just ignore numbers you do not like the look of.

Their accounts make fascinating reading; they are a very well run Club, particularly so if you are the owner.