The Official Plymouth Match Thread - Sponsored by Final Game Blues "for all your end if season needs" | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official Plymouth Match Thread - Sponsored by Final Game Blues "for all your end if season needs"

listening to the Gills whilst watching ex-premiership giants Portsmouth unsuccessfully huffing and puffing against ex non-league minnows Accrington - that’s what makes English football so great

Decent end to the season... when do you think the news will be public about Graham moving on? As soon as he has agreed contractual details with Birmingham?

Top ten so we’ve got to be happy with that.
Two consecutive seasons of no relegation worries.
I don’t know if we can push on a bit more next season, but it will be interesting if Evans stays.
I expect that all out of contract will move on.
Some because they can do better contract wise, others because they have not made the grade.
At least we will retain the nucleus of the squad, should we choose so.

Enjoyed the game. Argyle looked decent early on and threatened. So we duffed them up a bit and got the goal. We then saw the game out. A typical Gills performance (although recently we've not shut the game down) and Argyle typical of a lot of teams at this level, neat but without an edge.
Fantastic season for Big V who has come on leaps and bounds. So glad he made the magic 20. An honourable mention to McKenzie who looks a solid utility man to me and will start to shine through with a bit of a run. Also, thought Johnson looked bright and has something about him. I can see why Evan's thinks he's worth a punt.

Copied from Haydn Parry on Gills Twitter:
20 goals a season since year 2000

Cody McDonald 25 (2010-11)
Tom Eaves 22 (2018-19)
Simeon Jackson 21 (2008-9)
Marlon King 20 (2001-2)
Vadaine Oliver 20 (and counting!) (2020-1)
That's some Hall of Fame. We've done pretty well for strikers over the years.

Top ten so we’ve got to be happy with that.
Two consecutive seasons of no relegation worries.
I don’t know if we can push on a bit more next season, but it will be interesting if Evans stays.
I expect that all out of contract will move on.
Some because they can do better contract wise, others because they have not made the grade.
At least we will retain the nucleus of the squad, should we choose so.
Personally I can see very few players left one way or another the likes of Oliver and Dempsey are very likely to be sold.As you say almost everyone out of contract will move on for one reason or another.A few might be pushed out the door too although that will cost so unlikely to be more than one or two being told not in my plans if you can find a club etc.
We should be clear from real financial troubles if Dempsey and Oliver have another year .They will be in demand and will be sold to stay afloat. I would still expect the budget to be cut all be it it might not be any more than average for the division. With the teams coming up we will almost certainly have a bigger budget than about half a dozen clubs.So not all that bad .Shame one or two good players will leave on a free .But hopefully we will get the benefit of getting a good freebie or two ourselves.
Will Evan's stay? I reckon we will know by this time next month for sure as he will want to start early if he is moving on.

If Oliver or Dempsey go it had better not be to another league 1 club. Will be bloody annoying watching them at Priestfield next year playing for someone else

If Oliver or Dempsey go it had better not be to another league 1 club. Will be bloody annoying watching them at Priestfield next year playing for someone else
Oliver is 30 in October I would doubt there will be interest from the Championship. He is probably the wrong age to recruit as back up.Dempsey on the other hand might interest a few teams from the league above Peterborough would be a logical destination as they have probably seen more of him than teams already in the division.They also tend to dip into buying players from lower budget clubs.

Oliver is 30 in October I would doubt there will be interest from the Championship. He is probably the wrong age to recruit as back up.Dempsey on the other hand might interest a few teams from the league above Peterborough would be a logical destination as they have probably seen more of him than teams already in the division.They also tend to dip into buying players from lower budget clubs.

Peterborough tend to buy players with the intent of selling them on though

That's some Hall of Fame. We've done pretty well for strikers over the years.
You're right there, just a shame we have not been able to hang on to them for more than a couple of seasons. Back in the bad old days of the 60's and 70's, they tended to hang around for a while longer - Brian Yeo, Alan Wilks, Bill Brown, Brian Gibbs, Tony Cascarino, Damian Richardson - to name but a few and those who moved on, generally did so for a price. Times have changed and so have attitudes more towards the choice between money vs loyalty. Only in a very few cases does loyalty exceed money. It is understandable to a point but it becomes almost impossible to create the "it's our club" attitude for both supporters and players alike.