Spurs 4 United 0 - report and pod | Vital Football

Spurs 4 United 0 - report and pod

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
After ending the long losing streak last week at home to Brighton, the more familiar losing feeling was experienced again after defeat at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday evening. With neither side really having much to play for and both without managers, it was maybe not a game that the neutral would have been salivating over.

Much of the media’s attention seemed to be focused on events at Old Trafford with the fan protests leading to the postponement of today’s big game in the Premier League but the game went ahead in London with no such demonstrations. A Gareth Bale hat trick and a Son stunner saw off a woeful Blades side who lost away yet again and created another Premier League record, it is now 27 away games without a clean sheet.

United made one change from last week with Basham back in for Bryan who was not in the matchday squad through injury. The Blades had Sander Berge and Jack Robinson back on the bench after long term absences. For Berge, any game time now was surely a chance to put himself in the shop window in the summer? Ethan Ampadu was also out after picking up a knock in the week

Spurs started with Bale and Alli back in from the start with Moura and Winks dropping out. A Bale, Kane, Son and Alli front line suggested Spurs knew they could get at the beleaguered Blades side. Indeed, only perhaps Hojbjerg could be seen as a defensive player of any nature with Lo Celso completing the top 6.

The game started with United playing in all green and with Basham on the left-hand side of the back three. United began on the attack with a cross coming over but Osborn could not get enough on it to get it back across from the other side. Fleck’s give away at the other end saw Son play Kane in and he was denied by Ramsdale but the flag went up anyway. Spurs were knocking it around confidently and United could not get out for a period.

A ball over the top nearly Reguilon almost get in between Ramsdale and Baldock as the latter dithered. McGoldrick tried to break out but his shot was pulled badly wide but at least United got up the field after being penned in early. Spurs got back on the ball and moved it around as a static Blades side were defending very deep early on. Basham did well to stop Kane after he went round a few Blades players.

A deflected effort saw a shot go behind for a corner but United cleared before Bale fired well over. Spurs were not being pressed at all and the Blades defence was so deep it was almost asking for trouble. Bogle lost Alli who headed at Ramsdale from the angle with a looping effort.

Osborn got robbed from Aurier and Son took a pot shot but Ramsdale made a super save down to his right with a strong wrist to push it behind.

United had survived the first quarter of an but then were nearly behind as Egan gave it away and then chopped down Son before Kane checked inside Baldock easily and his shot lacked necessary power and Basham cleared off the line. Egan was booked. Baldock then was the next to give it away and the ball just evaded Son who came back on after treatment. United were trying to play it out but it was not working and they could barely string two passes together. Brewster had not been in the game and had barely had a touch.

A simple ball through the lines saw Son feed Reguilon who nutmegged Bogle and pulled back. United left Kane completely unmarked but he blazed miles over. United could not get into the Spurs half but then a rare break saw McGoldrick get down the left but his cross was poor. United at least got further up the field but a poor Ramsdale kick out nearly saw Tottenham in again. Brewster fired horrible wide before Ramsdale had to have treatment on his foot, which he seemed to injure in aforementioned kick out.

United’s best period of the game was punctuated by an excellent Norwood cross but United’s forward was statuesque again. Fleck and McGoldrick tried to link but it was given away cheaply and the brief pressure was not sustained.

Spurs took control again and with it the lead on 36 minutes. Aurier’s lofted ball over the top saw United’s defence completely disorganised with some coming out and some staying in and BALE ran through easily onside. Ramsdale was maybe a bit slow coming out but was not helped by the indecision in front of him as the Welsh international expertly lobbed it over him and into the net.

Another break from United saw Brewster play in Fleck but his shot was weak and Alli broke away and embarrassed Bogle before the same United man cynically pulled back Son but Kane could only hit the wall.

Lo Celso then curled over after patient football with men over. As the half entered stoppage time, Alli had an effort curled into Ramsdale’s hands just before the break but the Blades got in only one behind after being dominated for much of the first half.

The second half saw two changes instantly from the Blades as Burke and Berge came on for Bogle and Brewster. Baldock went back to right wing back and Basham right centre back.

United began the half well with some better commitment and some decent play saw some moments of attacking intent but nothing came of the improved play. Fleck then went into a challenge on Lo Celso and was perhaps fortunate that VAR did not get involved after his foot came down on the Spurs players head as he planted it down. It was clumsy to say the least.

Spurs through they had doubled their lead when a ball through the middle saw Son in and the flag stayed down. Ramsdale back pedalled and Basham tried to get back but the South Korean picked his spot as the keeper left his near post. The checks saw that the Blades got lucky as the striker’s chest/torso had put him marginally offside and the goal was chalked off.

The Blades were getting closer to the Spurs players at least but they were not really threatening at all. United were playing higher up the field at least but it was a risky tactic and it seemed they had gone from one extreme to the other and led to a dangerous defensive strategy. More poor play in midfield saw the game effectively ended as Baldock tried to dive in and lost it and Spurs were in and as Osborn could not get back, Son put the ball through and BALE ran through from his own half and this time as Basham tried to get back, the Spurs player smashed it into the net clinically.

Spurs then started to move it around again and Bale was toying with the United defence and Stevens upended him but looking for his hat trick, the Spurs man dipping free kick was straight at Ramsdale. It was not long before he got his hat trick though as Aurier skipped away from Osborn and Stevens, played in BALE and he fired it into the corner giving Ramsdale no chance. It was another well taken goal but again way too easy.

It was damage limitation for the Blades at this stage and Tottenham were now able to just knock it about easily under no pressure. Winks came on for Lo Celso for Spurs just before the 70th minute.

Kane’s cross narrowly evaded Son after the England captain had got down the right. Spurs won a succession of corners and a flick at the near post was saved. Bale came off after lighting up a meaningless game, with Bergwjin replacing him.

McGoldrick was the latest to give it away and the ball was moved forward to SON and he came inside Basham and curled a delightful effort into the top corner. It was a brilliant goal and the Blades keeper had no chance on this at all.

Lamella for Alli was the final Spurs change. The Blades could barely get out of their half but a rare break saw Basham come forward and link with Burke but his pull back saw Osborn barely get any purchase on his shot. Burke again had a decent run but his cross was overplayed. Norwood then had an effort on goal but it was straight at the keeper in the Blades only effort at goal after Burke had done well.

Spurs were moving it around and looking for more in the one-sided contest. Kane shanked his finish and then took a poor touch in an uncharacteristically poor game from the Tottenham talisman.

Mousset replaced McGoldrick and United won a few corners but it came to nothing. The game went into additional time and Spurs nearly got a 5th as Reguilon broke through and was one on one but put his shot wide when it was easier to score. The full-time whistle came soon after and United trooped off after another away defeat.

United – We had our rare win last week so suppose we cannot have expected two good results. In many ways it does not matter and these games do seem a bit of a drag to watch or write about. They are meaningless in terms of points and without a new manager I am not sure the motivation is there for the players anymore. I get that they are professionals and have pride but I think even they just want this awful season to end.

Most games (last two apart where we looked ok v two poor teams) it looks like we are a League One side (not even Championship) going to a big club and have no belief we can keep the ball, get amongst them or create chances. The idea of getting a result seems fantasy stuff as the players look beaten before they start in set up, approach on and off the ball and desire. People will say well they are down so you can’t expect masses of effort and the confidence to be low but we won last week and also it has been like this all season? Today was so predictable really. I cannot believe they are considering Heckingbottom for the job as the players have not really improved individually or collectively. It is painful to watch players who have been so good for us look so inept and just out of their depth (especially as 18 months ago much of this side went to this ground and played Spurs off the park!).

We had a few players back today and Basham started but the same negative defensive set up and this new way of us coughing up possession as we attempt to play it out continued. Why we have started doing this when the players are not quick or good enough to pass it out of defence I do not know? This coupled with us being so deep meant it was just coming back all the time. The midfield did not press or tackle and sat off worried about them running through them as none of them of course have the pace or strength to keep up with runners. The forwards did not link or really move at all. We should have played an extra man in midfield or gulp…even Burke. We had no outlet whatsoever. We tried to pass it around and then just normally lost it or kicked it aimlessly away and they then came at us again. Spurs wasteful finishing and lack of composure in the final third stopped them scoring 3 or 4 more first half. We had a few half attacks I would call them but weak shots from McGoldrick and Fleck that nowhere near going in was all we could muster. We did not trouble the keeper at all first half and Spurs were not great but still comfortable.

Second half we did better for a spell and at least got stuck in but it was like 5 minutes and we created nothing at all. We then went for a complete change of tactics as we went from defending deep to defending almost on half way. This saw Spurs score one with (VAR denied them) and then got the 2nd with another ridiculously high line. We fell apart after this and I could not understand Hinchcliffe saying we were much better – we did nothing really. They had more chances from this new stupid way of playing/defending and Bale got a few more. Son scored a great goal as we stood off time after time again. It could have been even more than 4-0. We had one shot on goal and that was straight at the keeper and easy from the Norwood shot.

Our away form is laughably bad. We have lost 15 out of 17 games away and 7 straight now. Other than the win at Man Utd and the point at Brighton we have lost most games easily. Cannot recall many games we were unlucky to not get anything – maybe Wolves the other week? We have had some right battering too – at Chelsea, Leicester, West Ham and Southampton. Games we have lost 3,4 or 5 and could have been way more. We have been woefully out of our depth this season. We are not even close to many of the teams, especially the top teams. It is hard work watching us play currently – really hard work. We are going into games of football and are playing rubbish, barely have an attack and the opponents look like scoring every time they attack. We are just garbage at this level. If I was a neutral watching this, I would be scathing about how bad we are. We have absolutely stunk up the league and we have wasted a place this season (sounds silly as we deserved it by getting here).

We now finish with 4 games and do not play particularly great sides. I want us to do well as I am a fan even if they are meaningless but I worry that if we do ok, that will be their justification for keeping him in charge. Today was not a great start if he was continuing his audition and wanting to be in with a shout. This week, there has been a few things come out from the manager search but nothing that significant really. Just we have five candidates which is not really a surprise (not sure I even believe that -may be just something they are saying to appease us and make us thing we have a plan) but I suppose shows they had not earmarked one in particular. Reports from Yorkshire Live (who have been more reliable than our friends at the Star) suggest Jokanovic is not one. You also worry they maybe were chasing Blessing and these potential work permit complications mean they have had to almost start again. It is worrying that Wilder had resigned twice (was it three times?) from the Prince’s interview but we had no back up plan or nothing ready from January to now. That is four months. It is two months since Wilder went also.

It seems like we have no plan sadly and the news about Heckingbottom emerging as one of the contenders seems very much ‘typical United’ as my Dad may so. The cheap option already at the club but surely this is not the move that is going to get us having a chance of returning to the top league soon. A nice guy who speaks well but has failed everywhere he has been since he was at Barnsley. I am not sure he can handle the challenges and the pressure of being here, especially when crowds come back? If this lazy appointment is made then it shows a lot about the plan (or lack of it) as I say. It will not endear the Prince or Bettis to fans. I have been one of those saying wait and see but now the longer things go on, the more it seems we have no real strategy at all to move things forward. We now are nearly at the end of the season and we have no manager and chairman. It seems a bit of a mess to me.

I do feel regardless of the managerial situation that those that think so many of these players will slide from dreadful form to being top end performers even at a lower level (Champ standard is poor granted) within a few months – are way off. I might be wrong. The likes of Osborn, Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Brewster etc cannot even do many of the basics even when under no pressure so regardless of standard they seem to have no confidence or belief in things they do. There has to be a natural churn of players and many of these cannot argue if they are moved on. Sadly, no Premier League teams are looking at anyone the way games are going and the longer things go on the likes of Egan, Fleck and Baldock are not going to have any suitors at all. Berge may move on of course. The team is bereft of confidence and ability. I do not see what we would lose by playing a few youngsters? We are getting hammered anyway. I do not buy it would ruin them – no one is going to throw them under the bus. After watching more diabolical performances from many experienced performers why would we not change it?

Today was another thoroughly depressing night. We look completely overmatched. We have little skill, strength, pace, power, ability, threat and cannot defend. We have no clear system, way of playing or idea how to get up the field. I think we have got even worse under Heckingbottom overall and that is saying something as we were abysmal before. This season just needs to end but the club need to start having a plan. We seem to be limping around with no idea.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 5/10 – One good save on an offside but a bit of indecision early when Baldock lost his man. Made a superb save from a shot from Son down to his right. Again, was completely exposed. Made a few more expected saves mostly from long range but then on the goal I did think he was slow. Just my opinion as a former keeper of some repute (in my head). He needed to go quicker and get there or stay back. He made it easy for the lob where he was. Made a few other saves as the half ended you would expect really. On the second goal that was disallowed I felt he left his near post but then again, we should not be left with so many one on ones. No chance on the final three goals as he was badly exposed. They kept coming at us time after time. He saved a few routine ones near the end but overall, just another game where he was given no protection.

Bogle 2/10 – His lack of awareness defensively saw him lose Alli a few times and he seems not able to react to things at times. The goal saw him just ball watching. When he did get forward, he made poor choices or dithered. Got beat way too many times and just started to foul his man. Did this twice on one move after he lost it on halfway. Just kept losing his man and the ball. He has no idea how to play the position at all to say he has been in the game a few years. Went off at half time. He began well around Dec-Feb but he’s gone right off the boil when he has played. I still prefer Baldock at right wing back to start the Championship.

Stevens 3/10 – Not a great prospect of him going against Bale even if the Welsh man has not been in sparkling form. He was nowhere near him when he scored but I suppose he came inside. He just kept kicking it down the wing when he had it and rarely did, he keep it. Went inside for the second half. Not sure he was any better. Chopped Bale down a few times and they just kept running at us. The whole defence moved up but this did not work either. Another player that looks completely shot. Sadly, not sure Lowe is any better. You would have to think if Norrington Davies does ok in pre season he will get the shirt. Stevens is one I would definitely look to move on. Wrong age and on the downward. If we could get a bit of cash, I’d let him go. He has been awful for over a year now and there is no sign of any return to his form of before. This is now who he is as a player it seems.

Baldock 3/10 – Poor defending saw Reguilon nearly get in when he dithered. He struggles with his back to the goal and does not sense danger. Skinned by Kane on his chance and then gave it away soon after for another chance after a poor ball. He needs to be put back to his natural position full time which he was for the second half. He dived in and lost it and they broke for the second goal. He just started diving in and got a bit petulant. I felt he was another that was all over the place really and players passed it around us.

Egan 4/10 – Came out well in a defensive interception early. Then lost it trying to overplay and completely clattered his man was booked when Kane has one off the line. I do not see him organising the defence or keeping a line and we are so deep at times. The goal was pathetic as no one was in line at all although his clearance was at full stretch. Egan is ahead of 5 or 6 other players – Stevens and Bogle just stood there. After this they just ran at us quite a bit and you felt they may score every time they attacked. We had this ridiculously high line then and they had chances aplenty. I did not want us deep but with pace surely sitting on half way is madness. They scored more goals due to this nonsensical tactic. He actually can say he stopped Kane scoring but this was more down to his poor play and he had lots of space and a fair few chances too. He showed that he is an issue due to his lack of mobility/pace and that may put teams off signing him.

Basham 5/10 – Began at left centre back which I cannot recall him playing before. Good interception from a Kane run early but then he ran off him too on another occasion. Cleared one off the line after an Egan error. Kane did get through him on the lead up to the goal. He kept going and I felt was our best player at times at least coming onto the ball and showing some desire/physicality. Went to right centre back after the changes at half time but he was always at full stretch trying to get back. He tried to make some challenges on the goals but it was too late and they scored easily. He fronted up after the game in an interview and said it how it was – that we were not good enough and talked about how poor we were on the ball too.

Norwood 3.5/10 – Not his sort of game as never on the ball much. Not sure what he offers when we do not have possession. A few times he had it he got hurried out of it. Won one tackle on Alli which was rare to see him winning one and not fouling. One lovely through ball that no one reacted to. He did then have a spell of ok passes but we were hemmed in and the clipped ball down the line after our attempts to come out from deep was the only thing we did. It was not just him. No pressure on Aurier as he passed it through on the goal. Second half he and Fleck had a better spell for a period but it was about 5 minutes and then they took control. On a few mis placed passes he was slow to react – the McGoldrick one for example on the 4th. Had our first effort on goal after Burke’s cross but a weak shot. His set plays were pretty rubbish too.

Osborn 2/10 – Struggled to get involved in the game. Got brushed off easily when Son nearly scored as our physically inept midfield got overpowered at key moments. Had a few occasions where he had it and just sort of ran into trouble. Every time he got it he gave it away. He just could not do anything right I thought. I think if Lundstram had played like that he would have got hammered. He might be a decent lad and give his all but that was a wretched showing for me. He is a trier but to me is technically very poor and his lack of physicality means if he is poor on the ball and weak then you have to do more than just run around. I think even at the level below other than the odd fill in game he should not play much as harsh as that sounds.

Fleck 4/10 – Early telegraphed pass that put them straight in and then a dribble where lost it saw them break. Just takes too long to do things and the strong upper body strength seems to have gone completely as he gets brushed off. One weak shot. He was then not in the game as they passed it around us and the midfield were never in it, looking at the possession stats. Started 2nd half with a poor challenge on Lo Celso I felt. I am a Blades fan but he could have put his foot elsewhere and had time to not put his foot there. Thought it was sure he would get sent off but maybe they had pity for us! I thought it was a bit nasty to me and would have been baying for red the other way. Dummied one for Norwood and a few neat flicks but overall, not near enough and we had no protection in front of the defence as they ran away. Very lucky not to have seriously injured the Spurs player and facing a 3-match ban.

McGoldrick 3/10 – One early run and shot which was a bit selfish as he pulled wide. Got a decent run down the left but a poor ball with no one to play in anyway. Just not in the game really rest of the first half. Second half he was never in the game really and then on the 4th he was guilty of giving it away. Not sure he did anything at all after the break. At this stage I’d rather we saw someone else even if Ndiaye or Brunt. I think flogging a 33/34-year-old in meaningless games is pointless now.

Brewster 2/10 – Not in the game. We may as well have played an extra man in midfield as two strikers was pointless. We ended up getting overrun in midfield. He had one run and then just passed it straight to them. Then a dreadful shot miles wide and high. One decent pullback to Fleck was his only highlight of the first half. Hinchliffe alluded to the lack of movement and I agreed. He is stationery a lot of the time when the defence/midfield look up which is odd as he is not a back to goal player but then is not a runner. Still not worked out what he is or his strengths? People keep telling me he will be a good player but I can only go on what I have seen and the evidence is flaky to that belief. The fact he has played 28 games and not scored or barely even looked like scoring sums up how little impact he has made. He came off at the half – could not be surprised really. As much as Burke is useless, he has still offered more for us this season than our record signing. He did ok last week but today he just looked terrible.

Subs –

Berge 2.5/10 – Nice to see him back even if maybe the last few games and we may never see him again. Not sure he got in the game much at all. He was not much help defensively, did not get on it and then when he had a bit of space made an awful hash of a headed chance at 4-0. Not the best game to come back into really but I am not sure he barely had a touch!

Burke 5.5/10 – He gets lots of criticism but he did more in 5 minutes to start the second half than the other two side in the first half. He at least got on the ball and tried to turn them around. A few decent runs and balls back with a few poor end products but at least he got on it and showed something. Basham of the starters was the only one who seemed to put some effort in but I thought Burke may have been our best player and he only did 3 or 4 decent things but that was more than most!

Mousset – One of the poorest 10 minutes I have ever seen! He looked completely out of shape and could not even run. Mis controlled two balls and fell over another. Another we have to try and get out of the club. He is not interested in committing to his profession at all.

Manager Heckingbottom 2/10 – His team selection saw Basham back and Berge on the bench. You could argue that outside of Berge starting for Osborn that it was the strongest side we could put out. I have advocated a few changes and a natural churn but I would not be shocked if that line up that started today is not massively different to start next August. A lot can happen but be interesting as other than O’Connell maybe in for Bogle/Baldock (not position wise of course) It is about the best we can put out.

Interesting his stance seems to have changed in soundbites this week in the press where he has not said things like ‘who would not be interested in such a great job.’ I am concerned that the momentum in terms of the decision is shifting his direction which I personally think would be an extremely poor decision and smacks of very little ambition or plan.

Maybe due to that he is playing his best players. Personally, for me, the last 4 games, playing bottom half teams (apart from Everton who are not that great) I would be giving Brunt, Ndiaye and Gordon some time but now he has a sniff of the job he will want results. Surely after the majority of the showings under him showing he has no idea how to change things individually or collectively, that he cannot be considered for the job?

Spurs - Been a really odd few years and things have not gone in the direction they seemingly were heading a few years ago when they were competing for the league under Pochettino and got the Champions League final. It seemed a vibrant and relatively youthful group were the team to watch. Ironically the move to the new stadium has coincided with things really falling off. They had a bad start last season and I recall the Blades outplaying them down there and should have won. They sacked Pochettino and in came Jose but whilst they picked up; they have not exactly changed hugely and indeed the football has been more defensive. They should have kept with Pochettino. It was a ridiculous sacking if you ask me and a classic example of teams panicking if they had one bad half a season (was it even that?). They now face an uncertain future. They play in a fantastic stadium (the best in the league by some way in my opinion from visits to all the big ones) but do not have a manager and I do feel Kane may move on. They have signed a lot of players that have not exactly improved them and spent a fair bit of money. Maybe some will come good but when you see an established superstar like Bale not making an impact then you wonder what is going on? They do have some great players. Son is so underrated I feel and Kane is a such a hard worker as well as being a brilliant finisher. Without him you worry though for them. A fair few players that are quite ordinary. I am looking at you Eric Dier and Harry Winks. Lads that would not be near the England squad if they played for a Burnley or a Brighton. I am not sure I see them challenging City, Liverpool, Man Utd or Chelsea really and at best they may sneak a 4th place finish the next few years.

As for the Manager there are some good candidates such as Rodgers, Espirito Santo and Martinez. All who have had degrees of success in England but I have a feeling only the latter might be fashionable enough for some Spurs fans. I think Rodgers is a very good manager who took his licks at Liverpool but actually has done well wherever he has been and is clearly the best British manager available. Those names are certainly more exciting than the ones we are looking at. Be interesting to see what happens with Kane though as I feel he may need to move on or he will simply not win anything – that is brutal but is the truth really looking at Spurs trajectory.

They have been patchy to say the least and only won 1 in 5 and before that went out of the Europa League and last week lost the League Cup final of course. Today Mason knew that it was a game he could bring back some of the players who have not been involved such as Alli and Bale. They had a very attacking line up and knew they would cause us problems. Bale scored three great goals, Son another and it was easy. They were playing cones. It was so easy. The commentators made us feel like we were in the game. We were never in it. We were useless and having a 5-minute spell of Burke running around was not really a massive change in how things had been going. The defensive plan 2nd half was even worse than the first half and that is saying something. I would have no issues us going higher if we had like 15-20 minutes to go at 1-0 but we knew one ball and mistake with the line and they were in. Well, we did it a few times and they scored more goals. If Kane had been anything like normal, it could have been double figures. They will point to some great goals but there was no pressure on Bale with two one on ones and then an unopposed shot.

Opponent Man of the Match – Bale. Three great goals. Cocky so and so but then you can be when you score goals like he did. Not sure he has had the impact they hoped for though. Aurier was good and came forward with no one checking his runs. Son is a great player and scored a wonderful goal.

Opponent Weak link – Kane. He was terrible tonight! Well still better than our strikers but for him he was completely off it. Think the defence is weak but was put under no pressure.

Referee/Officials – Andre Marriner. Easy game to ref. He actually was lenient to us. He could have booked more for cynical fouls. To be fair he would not necessarily be able to see the Fleck one clearly and needed help from VAR. How they ruled that accidental I do not know? He had time to put his foot elsewhere and it was clearly endangering the opponent. We would have gone mad if that had been on our player and he was very lucky not to be seriously hurt.

Coverage – Odd day as felt much of the focus was on the Man Utd v Liverpool postponement and our game seemed maybe rightly an after thought. Michael Brown always speaks sensibly and at least covers both of us. Leslie is an ok commentator and I actually do not mind Hinchliffe despite his Wednesday connections. He was rightly critical of Brewster for his lack of anything first half. He did seem to see an improvement I did not really see. We won a few tackles and played a couple of passes in a row – that was more than we did first half I suppose but as soon as the second went in it was done. Then it was damage limitation but we did not even do that. I am not sure why the commentary team felt sorry for us and saying they had sympathy. We were useless. Just call them out for what they were. Too many are making excuses for this side every week for me. Sorry to say it but they deserve criticism for losing almost every game and getting outplayed every week. Maybe it is not their fault they are not good enough but I think they still should be doing more than they are in games and not succumbing so easily as they do most weeks.

The social media ban has been odd as normally twitter, Facebook and Instagram are full of stuff. From the message they are getting across it is a positive step but of course that alone is not going to change things. To me, they need to do it for longer or certain players like McGoldrick did as he alluded to on TV on the Robert Peston show, maybe just need to come off until these companies do something. Maybe that is letting these idiots win but losing huge sports stars would have more of an impact if say Beckham or Pogba said that’s it we are done with Twitter. There is no control and no real follow up in most cases. Away from the protest angle, I found it odd not hearing or seeing those pointless messages from fans/players as well and taking away the admirable intent of the social media boycott, I found it nice not to see the same mostly pointless stuff that is posted about football. Sometimes less is better!

Groundhog day
so not read it sorry DB

dunno what’s more disappointing watching us or the line of duty finale
(got to be another series thats not an ending)

Up there it has to be one of the worse performances of the season. I'm not saying they weren't trying, BUT it wasn't good enough and did little to test the keeper. I don't recall any serious shot on target that almost resulted in a goal.

Great effort DB, I really don't know how you can write an objective report the way we are at the mo' it's shocking stuff to watch, we are going to need a experienced strong manager to sort this lot out.

I still think there is an argument for patching things up with Wilder, it would be a first for a manager to walk/fired and then come back but you never know - "it's a funny old game" I still think he would better than any of the candidates named so far! - Heckingbottom won't get the job, no worries, and why do people think we will just go for the cheap option,? nobody really knows how the Prince works or thinks - I'm sure he is ambitious and ambition doesn't come cheap !!

Last edited:
I’ve read the player ratings now hard to argue against any of it I agree re Steven’s he looks shot and I’d move him on if we could or be cover for RND also agree about brewster the most damming for me was when stevens put a great ball in and he just stopped running no effort to get on the end of it I commented on it at the time,maybe he will come good but maybe not with us and certainly not without more desire and commitment,
from the off every ball we played was either short or slow, players instead of having time on the ball had a spurs player on them giving them no time and so were eventually rushed into giving possession away when just a sharp pass to feet was needed we couldn’t manage that. I’ve said before I’d play bogle in front of baldock he can’t defend but has a better end product for me as for the caretaker the prince said his actions will speak louder than words if he eventually appoints him I’ll be joining chips in the other corner my worry is that they will want the system to carry on and any manager worth his salt wouldn’t come near the job if they were being dictated to from upstairs on how to play which would leave us with the one option.
I’ll be surprised now if we come up with somebody else all the sound bites seem to be preparing us for the worst we’ve seen it too many times you can read the signs I can only hope I’ve got this drastically wrong but to say I’m worried for next season is an understatement

Great effort DB, I really don't know how you can write an objective report the way we are at the mo' it's shocking stuff to watch, we are going to need a experienced strong manger to sort this lot out.

I still think there is an argument for patching things up with Wilder, it would be a first for a manger to walk/fired and then come back but you never know - "it's a funny old game" I still think he would better than any of the candidates named so far! - Heckingbottom won't get the job, no worries, and why do people think we will just go for the cheap option,? nobody really knows how the Prince works or thinks - I'm sure he is ambitious and ambition doesn't come cheap !!
We’ve all got ambition m8 but it’s always tempered by our budget maybe we will see how big the princes budget is this summer by the recruitment manager and player wise
fans think we will go for the cheap option because we always do it hasn’t mattered who has run the club,time for the prince to break the mould

Last edited:
As I keep asking, who thinks the Prince is our man? Next move will give us part of the answer and the second move (the backing) will tell us more............then we wait.

Good report as usual DB, maybe the marks are to high but all about opinions. Unbelievable how this set of players have deteriorated painful watch at the moment. Next manager has a hell of a job to stop this nosedive.

I can see Hecky Logic of playing right footed Basham on the left to combat Bales main form attack cutting in from the right on his deadly left foot. Completely negated by poor performances in midfield.
Roll on next season.

I can see Hecky Logic of playing right footed Basham on the left to combat Bales main form attack cutting in from the right on his deadly left foot. Completely negated by poor performances in midfield.
Roll on next season.
It worked in the first half but we had to change and get Berge on.