European super league, | Page 3 | Vital Football

European super league,

Think the ONLY reason the German ones opted out was due to fan ownership within the club otherwise imo they'd not want to be left behind feeding from the gravy train trough!!

I'm not sure why you'd try and put a negative spin on it Jock .... the fact they've got fan ownership in the first place is the clue.

I'm not sure why you'd try and put a negative spin on it Jock .... the fact they've got fan ownership in the first place is the clue.

Think u got me wrong there Moonay....totally with how the German ownership is administerd & would like something similar for all clubs in the UK. What I do mean is that if they didn't have partial fan ownership then they'd be in the mix along side the greedy premier league f@ckers. In a similar vein if we had partial ownership of MP's that might improve their accountability...thinking along the lines of a fair few lining their own pockets via granting of contracts etc.....oh dear I digress 🤔

Think u got me wrong there Moonay....totally with how the German ownership is administerd & would like something similar for all clubs in the UK. What I do mean is that if they didn't have partial fan ownership then they'd be in the mix along side the greedy premier league f@ckers. In a similar vein if we had partial ownership of MP's that might improve their accountability...thinking along the lines of a fair few lining their own pockets via granting of contracts etc.....oh dear I digress 🤔

Ah, OK Jock. I did wonder if I was misunderstanding your post. I initially started off saying that I thought we were saying the same thing, but your capitalisation of "ONLY" swing me.

Don’t like Gary Neville. One bit. But what he says is correct.

Yep. Oodathowt ?!

They’re now going on about ‘legacy fans’ and how they want to attract more of the new breed who want this closed shop franchise crap. Basically they’re saying they couldn’t give a fuck about the local match going fan who are probably 2nd or 3rd generation in their family who follow the club. Not sure I can find the words to articulate my utter contempt for these club owners.

They’re now going on about ‘legacy fans’ and how they want to attract more of the new breed who want this closed shop franchise crap. Basically they’re saying they couldn’t give a fuck about the local match going fan who are probably 2nd or 3rd generation in their family who follow the club. Not sure I can find the words to articulate my utter contempt for these club owners.
Of course they don't and never have. These owners care about making money, nothing else and they make their money through the glory hunting foreign fans across the world who shell out to watch them on TV. This pandemic has proved that owners don't need match going fans to sell their product.

Mark my words this will destroy the Premier League and create a ripple effect across English football. The Premier League won't have the balls to kick the big six out due to the financial consequences of such a move from a broadcast perspective. So they will be allowed to stay and field reserve teams in every league game as they prioritise the Super League. Top four becomes irrelevant and the league becomes irreparably damaged. A Super League along with an expanded all-new Club World Cup sanctioned by FIFA is looking like the end game for the Super clubs. FIFA's wishy washy statement last night virtually confirmed that they aren't going to fight it and will go right along with it if the super clubs are willing to take part in an expanded Club World Cup in return.

From a Latics perspective, I'm not that arsed as it won't really effect us due to us not being anywhere near the Prem with little chance of getting there ever again. I'm just glad we had our moment in the sun back when the Premier League and FA Cup meant something.

Love German football btw a great watch but I also sit here smirking at the potential demise of the greed league by the very same thing they set up. It makes no difference to Wigan or to Scottish football so let it happen.

C, Jimmy - I disagree that it won’t affect Wigan.

The PL broadcast rights will certainly be worth less. The fight to earn the right to finish in the top 4 and gain access to CL football will be gone. Most games will be meaningless affairs with little riding on them. United v Liverpool had a lot riding on it with scousers battling to obtain fourth. Now it’s meaningless. There’s only so many ways you can polish a turd. So less money will trickle down the leagues and so ultimately we’ll get less. We’ve just escaped the hangman’s noose but many other clubs are in dire financial straits. This could well be the tipping point for many. Players will also be affected as most will now see their earning potentials significantly reduced. The consequences will be seismic.

The big clubs have pretty much declared war on football as it currently stands. At this point the whole of FIFA / UEFA can try and appease them and eventually lose everything or stand up and fight this and maybe could win.

The financial reality of losing the big clubs likely means they will try and appease but I think if they give a single inch they will lose everything and are just delaying it. But if they come out swinging they could leverage the PR shit storm the big clubs created for themselves as a weapon.

If they said across all the leagues if this doesn't immediately stop that the big clubs will be expelled from all domestic football and allow effectively phoenix clubs to be set up and replace them asap so there will still be a club for the fans to support and we can carry on as before. The new phoenix clubs would inherit the TV deal.

You'd obviously have to flesh out the plans as it wouldn't be easy (stadiums, infrastructure, recruiting new players, etc will take time) but imagine if you effectively opened up 6 spots to be bought in the Prem to potentially takeover the existing big 6 fan bases I think you'd attract a lot of interest. It might be a case that the new clubs owners are given a year to set themselves up and we have a year without them competing but I think it could be done if the fans, sponsors, sky, FA etc were committed to making it work.

The idea would be to try and give the fans who all seem mortified by this suggestion an option to carry on supporting their side in the same way.

The current ownership may own the body of the big clubs but the fans are the soul and if they dont want to go then we can transfer that soul into a new body in the PL.

In the process the PR could devalue the ESL and cost them millions by having no prem money, champagne league money, no weekly games for gate receipts and ad money. The new ESL could certainly produce them more money when it gets going but if they all got expelled from all current competition then the money lost in the short term could be super damaging as they are forced to rework their plans.

I think if UEFA / FIFA take a merciless hard stance on this they could maybe get them to back down. Even if they did go recovery could be possible and by casting the departing clubs as greedy and out to destroy the game could win the PR battle. But if they try and compromise then they will lose this battle. The fans have a huge part to play in this too - if the 70k crowds attending the top 6 home games all made their opposition known or accept it will be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
The big clubs have pretty much declared war on football as it currently stands. At this point the whole of FIFA / UEFA can try and appease them and eventually lose everything or stand up and fight this and maybe could win.

The financial reality of losing the big clubs likely means they will try and appease but I think if they give a single inch they will lose everything and are just delaying it. But if they come out swinging they could leverage the PR shit storm the big clubs created for themselves as a weapon.

If they said across all the leagues if this doesn't immediately stop that the big clubs will be expelled from all domestic football and allow effectively phoenix clubs to be set up and replace them asap so there will still be a club for the fans to support and we can carry on as before. The new phoenix clubs would inherit the TV deal.

You'd obviously have to flesh out the plans as it wouldn't be easy (stadiums, infrastructure, recruiting new players, etc will take time) but imagine if you effectively opened up 6 spots to be bought in the Prem to potentially takeover the existing big 6 fan bases I think you'd attract a lot of interest. It might be a case that the new clubs owners are given a year to set themselves up and we have a year without them competing but I think it could be done if the fans, sponsors, sky, FA etc were committed to making it work.

The idea would be to try and give the fans who all seem mortified by this suggestion an option to carry on supporting their side in the same way.

The current ownership may own the body of the big clubs but the fans are the soul and if they dont want to go then we can transfer that soul into a new body in the PL.

In the process the PR could devalue the ESL and cost them millions by having no prem money, champagne league money, no weekly games for gate receipts and ad money. The new ESL could certainly produce them more money when it gets going but if they all got expelled from all current competition then the money lost in the short term could be super damaging as they are forced to rework their plans.

I think if UEFA / FIFA take a merciless hard stance on this they could maybe get them to back down. Even if they did go recovery could be possible and by casting the departing clubs as greedy and out to destroy the game could win the PR battle. But if they try and compromise then they will lose this battle. The fans have a huge part to play in this too - if the 70k crowds attending the top 6 home games all made their opposition known or accept it will be the deciding factor.

Appeasement rarely works and certainly won’t work with this self obsessed, myopic greedy cabal.

Interesting proposal. And I think it has legs. Maybe the PL could exempt them from relegation for 5 years to allow them to bed in (an alien concept really but in the circumstances a caveat most of football would understand and accept). They could even buy the grounds back as ultimately the original clubs would have no need for them as they could just relocate wherever the ‘franchise’ wanted then to like Bangkok for example. Of course the esl would then be worth very little but if it fucks off these yank owners then tough.

Why the fuck would Man city's owners need more money

I think to Man City it's likey more about being part of the elites than it is about money.

The thing i keep thinking is Tottenham in a European Super League?!? We've probably won more major trophies than them in the last 20 odd years!

I know in the far east and the US they all love Real Madrid, Barca, Man U, Liverpool, AC Milan, Juventus etc - but if you are from a foreign country with no local affinity to a side and you literally are picking who to support - who is picking Spurs?!

I think to Man City it's likey more about being part of the elites than it is about money.

The thing i keep thinking is Tottenham in a European Super League?!? We've probably won more major trophies than them in the last 20 odd years!

I know in the far east and the US they all love Real Madrid, Barca, Man U, Liverpool, AC Milan, Juventus etc - but if you are from a foreign country with no local affinity to a side and you literally are picking who to support - who is picking Spurs?!

Who are going to make up the rest of this league ?
Cant possibly be a Super league without the Germans or the French PARIS SG MUNICH DORTMUND PORTO have all turned them down

Why the fuck would Man city's owners need more money

they don’t. Apparently them and Chelsea didn’t want to join but felt ‘compelled’ too. Neither have a seat on this board. They could throw the others under the bus and leave them vulnerable if they backed out - which is exactly what they should do. That was from a city fan I spoke to today - he was raging. Said they’d done a survey on some city site with a couple of thousand respondents and only about 3% thought it a good idea.

I think it's clear now that there is no return for these 6 clubs even if it falls through. Their reputation has been tarnished and people will only see these 6 clubs as a husk

Cant possibly be a Super league without the Germans or the French PARIS SG MUNICH DORTMUND PORTO have all turned them down

It’s a good point - they wanted 15 founding members. They can only muster 12. As for the 5 guests who would take part knowing they’ll burn their bridges with future uefa comps? Of course they’ll be clubs who would join - but they won’t be ‘big’ ones, which is obviously the point of this league.

I think their plan was 15 founding members then 5 teams join them every year based on how they do in their domestic league. That wont be happening.

After the backlash this has got the other teams who may have been in talks with the ESL may be having second thoughts. Is it worth burning your bridges for this proposal when you've already got a sweet deal in the Champions League money. If the big clubs do go the remaining bigger clubs would become kings, might be something appealing about that to some of the big clubs being talked to.

I hope this backfires horribly on all those big clubs.

I think their plan was 15 founding members then 5 teams join them every year based on how they do in their domestic league. That wont be happening.

After the backlash this has got the other teams who may have been in talks with the ESL may be having second thoughts. Is it worth burning your bridges for this proposal when you've already got a sweet deal in the Champions League money. If the big clubs do go the remaining bigger clubs would become kings, might be something appealing about that to some of the big clubs being talked to.

I hope this backfires horribly on all those big clubs.
The problem the so-called "Big 6" have is they've already signed ESL contracts, which means they're already in breach of FA, PL and UEFA rules.
By rights, the club's involved haven't got a leg to stand on, and their position within the English game is untenable.

The other (more immediate) problem we have is, if UEFA stick to their guns over banning ESL players from all future European & International competition, our dreams of doing well in Euro 21, and Qatar 22 are over, as over half the current England squad would be banned.

The problem the so-called "Big 6" have is they've already signed ESL contracts, which means they're already in breach of FA, PL and UEFA rules.
By rights, the club's involved haven't got a leg to stand on, and their position within the English game is untenable.

The other (more immediate) problem we have is, if UEFA stick to their guns over banning ESL players from all future European & International competition, our dreams of doing well in Euro 21, and Qatar 22 are over, as over half the current England squad would be banned.
Actually, I saw a draft team without any ESL players and I think it would do just fine. Give me Grealish, Bellingham and Sancho over frauds like Sterling all day long. Whoever wears the Three Lions in a major tournament gets my support no matter how limited they are in ability.

PSG will almost certainly join down the line, they just don't to risk any potential threat to the World Cup being held in Qatar. They'll wait until they get the quiet green light from FIFA before joining up.

The only real body that can stop this happening is FIFA, by banning players from appearing in the World Cup. The vast majority of players would not accept being banned from playing for their country in the biggest competition in world football and could therefore force their employers not to proceed with a Super League by refusing to play in it. FIFA won't do it though and risk the World Cup's appeal from a broadcast perspective, as I said they are as slimy as they come and if they wanted to draw a hard line on this they would have done so already. They'll sit back and let the war between the ESL and UEFA play out over the next few months before making their move. Sly bastards!

The government also need to step in and make this as difficult as possible to implement. Stop foreign clubs from playing in this country, refuse work permits for the big six, enforce a 51% fan ownership model as they do in Germany, do whatever it takes.

These Money Grabbing Clubs have turned their backs on the
English Football League, if this 'Adventure' ends in tears,
these Clubs should NOT be allowed straight back into the
Top League in this Country

They should be made to Re-Apply to join the EFL, and if they are allowed to join,
they will have to start in the EFL League 2, or even lower with hopefully a
£2 Million spending cap.