They're at it again | Page 3 | Vital Football

They're at it again

As for the suggestions above r.e. uncompetitive at the top end. "Our" Premier League is actually pretty competitive when you compare it to the other leagues where it is basically a 2 horse race.

You're kidding?

In most recent seasons it hasn't even been a 2-horse race in England.

There seems to be no mention of promotion or relegation to/from this league, which means that it would become a boring hell. Comparison is made with the Champions League but that is a cup competion-you are not stuck with it indefinitely.Lets face it the novelty would wear off pretty quick. I would make it clear that the breakaway teams would be welcome to change their minds and re-enter the English League,but would have to start at the bottom of the pyramid.
It will be a closed shop - 12 clubs playing with themselves. Reminds me of a word beginning with 'W'.

And will be very tedious, like the SPL

Am I the only one thinking the sports lawyers are sat rubbing their hands wondering how much they can make challenging FIFA UEFA PL and others about the legality of banning players from international representation?

Let the ***** go, the whole of English/Welsh football will be the better for it. UK fans of the big six will get fed up of repeatedly watching them play the same teams. They have sold themselves to the foreign money gods already.

Time for UEFA, the Premiership FA, EFL and every other European governing body to be tough and chuck the greedy bastards out.

Premier League should call their bluff and kick them out. It smacks of them thinking they can hold football to ransom to get extra control over things in this country. Wasn't that a suggestion over another ridiculous mutiny attempt suggested earlier in the season where these clubs were to be given more voting rights in exchange for the bail out.

Boot them out.....promote the top 6 from the Championship to take their place and then the top 6 from League 1 into the Championship

Not that I'm looking to benefit a far more worthy team of course!!!

It's just a positioning gambit, they all know this isn't going to wash just now, but they may get a few concessions in the next TV deal, then go again in another 5 years. I would call their bluff and expel them from the League etc, and also offer five new places in division two for phoenix teams for their clubs, hopefully dividing the fan base too.

Of course with expelling 5 teams from the premier we would need to promote 8 from championship to make up the numbers which would of course mean 8 from League One etc

OK. Now seen the proposal. They should be told to fuck off out their national leages who should all say they will not contribute the five rotation clubs, and that they should just fuck off and keep fucking off until there is nowhere to fuck off to and then they should just keep fucking off

Im not sure why everyone thinks this is inevitable. The groundswell of opinion (supporters, politicians, players etc) is almost entirely negative and hostile. Top clubs have an awful lot to lose ~ they are probably trying to broker a better deal for themselves and overplayed their hands. This will almost certainly collapse.

Am I the only one thinking the sports lawyers are sat rubbing their hands wondering how much they can make challenging FIFA UEFA PL and others about the legality of banning players from international representation?

Well FA's can simply never select these players again. No one has a legal right to get picked for their country, it's an honour bestowed upon someone (or should be!).
And all leagues and cup competitions make their own rules and can decide who participates in their competitions.

So frankly, tough shit on all those who choose this elitist debacle.

When the story first broke I thought they'd finally decided to have a clean break. Read the detail now, and oh no; of course it's the old, we still want to remain in the domestic leagues as well - i.e. have our cake and eat it.

In a way this makes it less of a story and is just more sabre rattling to see how the governing bodies react. Basically it's an early salvo/threat in ongoing positioning to see what deal they can extract from within, in full knowledge that what they are demanding will not be accepted in it's initial format. No doubt in the coming weeks they will return to the table with a watered down 'compromise'.

The big worry is that UEFA/FIFA will either a) bottle it or b) take a bung, and the bastards will end up getting a lot of what they want without being punished or have to give much up.

Looking at the history of those fine governing bodies, there is every chance they will stand firm and not give them an inch and make it clear there is no negotiating table to sit at.

Last edited:
If you think about it this is a continuation of the gradual attack on the integrity of The European Cup which started years ago when UEFA coefficients came in allowing several clubs from the richer leagues to automatically enter with genuine champions from the smaller leagues having to go through a qualification process.

It wouldn't surprise me if they push for almost guaranteed entry handed on a plate to the bigger clubs whilst reducing the numbers and excluding even more of the smaller clubs. That would explain the scope for another 8 clubs to qualify, no doubt from more pre qualifiers. How generous of them.

The net result being a bigger pot of money, shared between fewer clubs that they are guaranteed a share of even when they are too shit to qualify from their own leagues under current rules.

Basically an extension of The Premier League, which whilst isn't a closed shop, makes it very hard for outsiders to get a foothold and virtually impossible for the big clubs to drop out of.

Last edited: