Callum Lang | Page 3 | Vital Football

Callum Lang

I'm surprised it took this long for him to be linked with someone, he's been superb for us.

The reality is if you want your players doing really well other clubs will come sniffing - but he is under contract for another year so unlike Joseph at least if he is wanted by other clubs we have a say in the fee we get in.

But I hope he stays, you can't blame a player for potentially being tempted by money and a higher division but I think he's the main man here and would be far better for his long term career to stay here for at least another year banging in 25 goals and really establishing himself before he looks at a move to likely better clubs than those sniffing.

The new ownership needs to get him locked down asap if possible on a new deal and push the boat out for Joseph too. I'm pretty sure Joseph won't stay no matter what but I would stretch as far as we can to at least try on the off chance he could be tempted. I really think he would be lost in the shuffle moving so early and needs to be playing first team rather than U23 football to develop into a top player. But again big club and big money will be very hard to turn down if it's in front of you.

Aasgard, Merrie, Perry, Robinson, Long are these guys going to go back to U23s football next season

Aasgard, Merrie, Perry, Robinson, Long are these guys going to go back to U23s football next season

Aasgaard - no, he should be in the first team squad. The lad is a genuine talent.

Robinson - if we keep Pearce then I think Robinson will be the first team back up, likewise if Pearce leaves and we recruit another LB, his main problem would be if we keep Pearce and recruit another LB. I've been mightily impressed with Robinson this season.

Merrie- Given the likelihood of neither Evans nor Ojo being here next season I could definitely see Merrie being part of the first team squad, we'd need at least 3 competent CM's and up until his injury I think he was performing very well.

Perry - in all honesty, probably in u23s or moved on.

Long - Next season probably needs to be his breakthrough season if he's going to make a name at Wigan. I'd see him getting a lot of bench slots and maybe some first team game time if injuries hit.

Depends on recruitment and what division we are in.

No guarantee Perry and Merrie get new contracts. I think Merrie has a chance but think Perry will go.

Aasgaard - no, he should be in the first team squad. The lad is a genuine talent.

Robinson - if we keep Pearce then I think Robinson will be the first team back up, likewise if Pearce leaves and we recruit another LB, his main problem would be if we keep Pearce and recruit another LB. I've been mightily impressed with Robinson this season.

Merrie- Given the likelihood of neither Evans nor Ojo being here next season I could definitely see Merrie being part of the first team squad, we'd need at least 3 competent CM's and up until his injury I think he was performing very well.

Perry - in all honesty, probably in u23s or moved on.

Long - Next season probably needs to be his breakthrough season if he's going to make a name at Wigan. I'd see him getting a lot of bench slots and maybe some first team game time if injuries hit.

Ojo is on a free in the summer and Aberdeen won't renew his deal. I think depending on survival we could keep him.

Depends on recruitment and what division we are in.

No guarantee Perry and Merrie get new contracts. I think Merrie has a chance but think Perry will go.
Its the sad part of us getting rid of youngsters who would die for the club and then bringing in people about the same level, but just want a pay cheque.

I still to this day believe if McMillan hadn't been injured for a prolonged period of time Baines would never have been the player he became.

Hopefully the new people have a realistic assessment of the players we have, who could replace them and what the overall cost will be. If Tom Markham really has come up with a Money Ball theory it could get very interesting.

Its the sad part of us getting rid of youngsters who would die for the club and then bringing in people about the same level, but just want a pay cheque.

I still to this day believe if McMillan hadn't been injured for a prolonged period of time Baines would never have been the player he became.

Hopefully the new people have a realistic assessment of the players we have, who could replace them and what the overall cost will be. If Tom Markham really has come up with a Money Ball theory it could get very interesting.

I don't think many of youngsters we let go over the years were ones we'd regret. The majority of youngsters released just arent good enough but the odd one does find another level they never showed down the line in a different environment. Out of the lads who went in January I don't think any would've stayed beyond the end of their contracts I think we just brought forward their release 6 months rather than were forced to lose players we wanted long term.

To be fair it's just as well we freed up some space in the squad as the lads who came in contributed more than the youngsters who made way for them were ever likely to.

Love everything about Callum Lang apart from his lack of discipline and him picking up unecessary bookings.
He's very close to ending up with a 2 game and would have easily been avoided.
Two more offer their fair share of petulance.
Darickwa and McClean.

Two more offer their fair share of petulance.
Darickwa and McClean.
McClean and Darikwa at least seem to be getting booked for either frustration or football-related infractions. I can think of at least 4 Callum Lang bookings that were completely pointless, and he needs to cut this out as we will miss him if he ends up sitting out 2 games, I think he'll get rested for the Wycombe match, partly to account for this.

McClean and Darikwa at least seem to be getting booked for either frustration or football-related infractions. I can think of at least 4 Callum Lang bookings that were completely pointless, and he needs to cut this out as we will miss him if he ends up sitting out 2 games, I think he'll get rested for the Wycombe match, partly to account for this.

Will he balls get rested, he’s an integral part of the side and our biggest attacking threat. There’s 7 games he needs to avoid a booking in, so he isn’t gonna be benched for all those. Will be a big miss when he does get suspended though.

Will he balls get rested, he’s an integral part of the side and our biggest attacking threat. There’s 7 games he needs to avoid a booking in, so he isn’t gonna be benched for all those. Will be a big miss when he does get suspended though.

Agreed, I think he'll have had the coaching staff tell him off loads of times this season for his needless yellows but it never seems to stop him. He'll probably have been told in no uncertain terms whatever he does don't get a yellow against Wycombe as we need him for the next 2 at least.

I expect we'll see a few changes tomorrow, especially someone like Lang who's played every minute in the past few weeks. Edwards, Rea and Shinnie maybe to come in and get a start. I didn't say Lang will be dropped to avoid another booking, but that will be one factor that I expect LR will think about when it comes to picking a team that can get a result tomorrow night. Still got 7 games to go until the cutoff so he might just resign himself to a suspension being inevitable, so try and be good for Wycombe and if he ends up booked versus Sunderland then we have a couple of more straightforward matches versus Fleetwood and Wimbledon, on paper at least.