The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 399 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, many fans don't seem to get that only Jack and SJM were good enough for the PL when we came up, an entire team had to be bought including Anwar and Mings who were not even our players. Players out of contract left us with nothing except the likes of Taylor Elmo Lansbury Steer Chester and Hourihane proper average championship plodders.
The more I think about it the more amazed I am we never did a "fulham"

Yes, many fans don't seem to get that only Jack and SJM were good enough for the PL when we came up, an entire team had to be bought including Anwar and Mings who were not even our players. Players out of contract left us with nothing except the likes of Taylor Elmo Lansbury Steer Chester and Hourihane proper average championship plodders.

I think our availabile first team would have been

Steer
Freddy Elmo Revan Taylor

Lansbury Hourihane Mcginn

Green Kodjia Jack

That's what we had in June 2019.

We were very, very lucky. But a big part of the luck was that at the end of the day there were 3 teams worse than us. Bournemouth and Watford had loads of time to pull themselves clear but they couldn't do it.

Doesn't often happen that the team which came 5th in the Championship stays up when promoted. Class tells !

I think our availabile first team would have been

Steer
Freddy Elmo Revan Taylor

Lansbury Hourihane Mcginn

Green Kodjia Jack

That's what we had in June 2019.

You can actually remove Green as he was out of contract from memory, and Revan would be arguable as he'd only been on the bench a handful of times hadn't he.

Frightening to think we were that threadbare as you look back.

You can actually remove Green as he was out of contract from memory, and Revan would be arguable as he'd only been on the bench a handful of times hadn't he.

Frightening to think we were that threadbare as you look back.

I think Green was still there at that point. We loaned him to Preston that summer. Revan had appeared on the bench during the promotion season so as Chester was still out he was actually our most senior fit cb.

I think Green was still there at that point. We loaned him to Preston that summer. Revan had appeared on the bench during the promotion season so as Chester was still out he was actually our most senior fit cb.

No you're right. Hard to believe he's only 22 still. I remember Revan being on the bench, I just couldn't remember him featuring. I still can't quite believe we got ourselves into that state with the defence.

Yeah and McGinn is certainly not top half quality. We came up with a very poor squad.

I still can't quite believe we got ourselves into that state with the defence.
Elphick was sold on the assumption that we were getting that lad from Aberdeen if memory serves correctly. And we were left with Chester and Jedi. Criminal decision-making.....

I have this funny thing a bit like 57 I think where I watch central midfielders a bit more closely than other positions. Unfortunately not in the flesh as you can see much more of players that way, but I really do see a promising player in Sanson in terms of his technical ability and his movement.

It’s ridiculous how many people are writing him off on this forum when he’s only played a part in less than a handful of games, I just don’t get it. We’re quite a negative bunch of fans sometimes.

Wrong thread I know sorry mods

Last edited:
Each time I see Dean Smith at the top of the posts I think he's been sacked. No such luck yet, but it will happen. Onward and upward on that day. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.