The Marvelous Nakamba Thread | Page 17 | Vital Football

The Marvelous Nakamba Thread

His reading of the game is great. He concentrates on the ball and his tackling is sharp and decisive. That was the best DM performance I've seen for a long time.

His reading of the game is great. He concentrates on the ball and his tackling is sharp and decisive. That was the best DM performance I've seen for a long time.
Ask our defenders who they would like in midfield and who would they prefer? Just think that Marvellous gives us a better balance. Supported Dean 100% last season but without Marvellous our midfield was paper thin and our defence was too easily breached. He looked vulnerable too often as Luis and John were always eager to get forward. Marvellous is by no means the finished article but we look a tighter unit when he plays.

Do you think we need Nakamba against Sheffield United? I think Luiz would be better for us in possession to go at them on the front foot, I suppose there is an argument if Nakamba plays that allows others to push up higher.. I guess that’s the trade off.

I think vs Sheffield United we will revert to our “normal” team and then vs Wolves we’ll switch back to to Leeds set up, Smith made similar tactical changes last time vs Wolves (“to give us energy in midfield” in Smith’s own words) so if he does the same that might mean Nakamba and Ramsay back in

Marv should play and either Luiz or Sanson takes McGinns place. I'd leave the team unchanged other than that. McGinn has been shocking but I dont blame him, he is just fatigued. He was blowing out his arse from 70mins onward yesterday.

Great thing is it gives us options. Which is exactly what we need in midfield. I suspect DS stuck with Luiz because when we weren't firing well going forwards Luiz gave us that bit extra. But Nakamba is outstanding as a DM. Reads the game, gets close to players, feet quick enough to rob them, keeps going throughout the game.

Thoroughly deserved MOTM. Marvelous!

Yup, last season Naky was hit and miss as he adjusted. Luiz was more consistent and impressed more even though he had bad games.

I get DS here on choice...but Naky has staked his claim. We now need to find Luiz's sweet position, knowing he can drop back to a decent degree if needed.

Bit of mystery why Deano has been reluctant to play him given his performances in the last 2 games and when he has played before this season.

Shame for him the season has ended because it would have been his place to lose now.

Tremendous last 2 games from him. Brings balance to the team.

Bit of mystery why Deano has been reluctant to play him given his performances in the last 2 games and when he has played before this season.

Shame for him the season has ended because it would have been his place to lose now.

Tremendous last 2 games from him. Brings balance to the team.
I mentioned something in the McGinn thread how Nakamba allows McGinn to be more free-roaming. We've seen that in spades in the last two games. Balance, as you say. For me it's the key to a good midfield and Marvelous gives us the balance.
I think DS sees Luiz as more of a ball-mover and uses him in games where he feels we'll see more of the ball, whereas against the teams who keep the ball well he sees Marv as the right fit.... For me, Marv should play more than he does with Dougie supplementing him or playing left/right of center....

I mentioned something in the McGinn thread how Nakamba allows McGinn to be more free-roaming. We've seen that in spades in the last two games. Balance, as you say. For me it's the key to a good midfield and Marvelous gives us the balance.
I think DS sees Luiz as more of a ball-mover and uses him in games where he feels we'll see more of the ball, whereas against the teams who keep the ball well he sees Marv as the right fit.... For me, Marv should play more than he does with Dougie supplementing him or playing left/right of center....
A point worth mentioning about Marv's performance yesterday was how many free kicks were given away in dangerous positions that would give chances to Mount or Pulisic?
Marv was there quickly and put in clean and assured challenges. He will only get better now that he has adapted to the PL. The options are starting to get stronger and just a few top signings will move us to the next level.