The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 395 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of actually talking about the merits and mistakes Dean Smith has made to date, this thread sadly seems to have descended into point-scoring.

One thing for sure though is if sirden says he was at a game then 100% he was watching the game in person and that shouldn't even be questioned.

Back on topic, Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see Dean Smith continue as our manager as he deserves that for his achievements to date but he's not helping himself at the moment and he is putting his position in possible jeopardy but for what he has done he deserves another transfer window but man, it will be the biggest one of his managerial career to get right otherwise even our great owner's patience will surely be made up.

It's over to you Deano!?
Sums it up really TH, and yes you have been consistant in your view for a long time now.

For some reason, instead of enjoying the fact that we do have the best player in the division there are some that seem to use his absence from the team (and an understandable drop in performance as a result) as a means to claim that Dean Smith is utterly useless. If Dean Smith was utterly useless we'd likely be a mid-table (at best) championship club right now.

For some reason, instead of enjoying the fact that we do have the best player in the division there are some that seem to use his absence from the team (and an understandable drop in performance as a result) as a means to claim that Dean Smith is utterly useless. If Dean Smith was utterly useless we'd likely be a mid-table (at best) championship club right now.

Would you have kept Traore on for as long as he did on Saturday and would you have brought on Barkley. Those were 2 useless decisions.

Sums it up really TH, and yes you have been consistant in your view for a long time now.

I know mate. As a bloke who sees a glass half full, rather than half empty I actually find it difficult to keep on highlighting what in my opinion isn't right and I'd much prefer to be positive but my frustration with what my eyes are telling me get's the better of myself sometimes!

On reflection, I'm going to take a back seat now regarding Dean and this topic as I'm tired of rehashing the same conclusion and I genuinely wish him and the Villa well as that's all we all want.

I know mate. As a bloke who sees a glass half full, rather than half empty I actually find it difficult to keep on highlighting what in my opinion isn't right and I'd much prefer to be positive but my frustration with what my eyes are telling me get's the better of myself sometimes!

On reflection, I'm going to take a back seat now regarding Dean and this topic as I'm tired of rehashing the same conclusion and I genuinely wish him and the Villa well as that's all we all want.

It is what I did. Our opinions have been pretty consistent and similar, but with the way this season has gone, I have found it impossible not to see the logic in promotion, survival, improvement. All will depend on where we finish but.....

Instead of actually talking about the merits and mistakes Dean Smith has made to date, this thread sadly seems to have descended into point-scoring.

One thing for sure though is if sirden says he was at a game then 100% he was watching the game in person and that shouldn't even be questioned.

It does, and it might well result in a warning or a temporary ban if it doesn't end. Especially, as you say, if sirden says he was at a game, he was at a game and I know full well, having been to away games with him, he doesn't get distracted.

It has indeed become fairly childish the last few days, following a few run ins in other threads over the last few weeks.

I think the answer to both those questions is no, and probably most of the pro, and anti Dean camps would agree.
It is stuff such as this that leaves you scratching your head at times.

Yup, the one thing I see more and more on here now, following the vile social media places, is things seem to have to be binary. You criticise you are anti. If you like, you won't criticise etc.

He isn't beyond criticism and as you say, many would say the same, those substitutions just looked wrong and proved to be wrong. He would have taken the praise had they worked, he isn't immune to criticism when things don't work though.

Yup, the one thing I see more and more on here now, following the vile social media places, is things seem to have to be binary. You criticise you are anti. If you like, you won't criticise etc.

He isn't beyond criticism and as you say, many would say the same, those substitutions just looked wrong and proved to be wrong. He would have taken the praise had they worked, he isn't immune to criticism when things don't work though.
It also begs the question that if he hadnt stood like a naughty schoolboy with his hand raised, holding his ribs would he have been taken off when he was.

It is what I did. Our opinions have been pretty consistent and similar, but with the way this season has gone, I have found it impossible not to see the logic in promotion, survival, improvement. All will depend on where we finish but.....

yep couple of wins and 50 pts or so - and then that's improvement (despite some poor performances) -
might be 10th might be 14th but 50pts or so would certainly show enough over last season.
Another point or two only (or none at all) puts quite a different complexion on the season and it gets a bit marginal. No idea obvs what sort of criteria the owners have for 'improvement'

It's all about next season for me, especially if we spend a bit more in the summer.

This season is done, it's been a bizarre season anyway all things considered. I'm sure the owners didn't buy the club to finish mid-table every season and I'd imagine Europe is the minimum expectation for next season.

I don't see why Deano would be relieved of his duties before then. The team still needs to be improved first.

Yes, you don't make that much money or get the kind of jobs Purslow has had by being sentimental.

I don't think they will hesitate to swing the axe if they think it's necessary , but I still don't thnk that time has come just yet.
At the risk of getting drawn into a protracted debate with Divine like that which we had this time last season, I think the same will apply.
He will be given this season, and ten ish games next season season, and the trigger will be pulled if the start to next season is poor.
They wont want to see this seasons progress thrown away.

Would you have kept Traore on for as long as he did on Saturday and would you have brought on Barkley. Those were 2 useless decisions.
No, I wouldn't. He got that decision entirely wrong, as I alluded to in the match thread. But that wasn't really the point of my post. I don't think anyone is saying Smith is perfect. But in the big scheme of things over a two-year period he has done a very decent job. Ron Saunders spent big money on Tommy Craig and made him captain, and he kept playing Gary Williams when many of the fans wanted Colin Gibson in the team. Does that mean Ron Saunders was out of his depth or a useless manager?

They wont want to see this seasons progress thrown away.

You could have made that same assessment two years ago when we won promotion though (and I am sure many of us did). They had every opportunity and excuse available to them to sack him last year in the name of not losing momentum and progress.

Eh? Nobody is denying we're better with arguably the best player in the league playing. But you think it should be no different whether he plays or not. Do you actually think this stuff?

I am not denying there won’t be a difference. But even without Jack should we be struggling against those sides I mentioned to even get a shot on target?

Status
Not open for further replies.