BFSE not signed up for next season - yet | Vital Football

BFSE not signed up for next season - yet

It’s a weird one.
I honestly am not that bothered.
If he stays we will probably be pretty safe from relegation with an outside chance of the play offs, per the last two seasons.
On the other hand the football will be arse numbingly dull again.

Last edited:
End of season place will tell, but we are a safe for mid table again if Evans stays I think. I wonder what the difference in budget has been over the past three seasons? I actually enjoy his match day antics!

Some were saying he'd signed up for another season. Not so

That's not how I read it wxgill.

I read that he is under contract but scally could sack him. Thats unlikely so I think he will be here.

Im OK with it. Don't like the long ball/long throw approach but if you look at the results then we've done well

Some were saying he'd signed up for another season already. Not so.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...le-here-evans-on-his-gillingham-futur-245398/

Quote taken from the article

"He was quizzed about his future on Saturday and said: “I have a year left and I have absolutely zero, zero pressure in terms of finance."

I could be reading between the lines wrong, but I'm assuming he has a year left. ;)

For me, unless the manager has only just avoided relegation by a point or goal difference the season before, I am happy for the continuation of the manager staying on.

Quote taken from the article

"He was quizzed about his future on Saturday and said: “I have a year left and I have absolutely zero, zero pressure in terms of finance."

I could be reading between the lines wrong, but I'm assuming he has a year left. ;)

For me, unless the manager has only just avoided relegation by a point or goal difference the season before, I am happy for the continuation of the manager staying on.
I totally missed that. Good spot Baghdad.

On our budget, I can not see any manager putting together a side with silky skills and I would not like to see us play like MK Dons with five minute spells passing the ball between the back four. Yawn !!

Our system may be fairly basic but it does obscure the fact that we can only afford about 4 above average players, with the rest being honest professionals or youngsters.

I agree that some of his signings are mystifying. Both Maghoma and Johnson are on permanent deals, and he has barely used either of them. The early season loans were not great either.

The point is that his kudos does seem to attract some players that would not come if we go back to a less well known coach like Pennock or Lovell.

Whatever you think of Peter Taylor, he was the last manager we had that enjoyed a similar reputation.

I think Evans has done about as well as anyone could have expected, given our resources.
He has kept it as simple as possible with each player knowing his role.
Examples
Graham bang it into the box
Oliver stick it in the net
O’Keefe f”ck em up
Dempsey hard running for 90 minutes Jackson chuck it in the box from anywhere
Defence is in doubt hoof it

It’s all quite simple but effective at this level.
If you want Barca, sign Messi.

On a bad day it can be a tough watch but most of the time I’ve enjoyed the directness of our play. We are positive and look to attack and it’s quite effective. No one looks forward to playing us and we start ever game with the anticipation that anything could happen. I’ve enjoyed this season. Especially the last few months.

Like others on this board, I like our style of football compared to fart arsing around. If we had some tremendous balling playing lads all good and well (and how long do you think we could keep that sort of footballer for?), play out our strengths.

There’s no victory in going down playing nice football. We’ve had barely a few seasons in my lifetime playing decent football, and long ball for the rest of it. I don’t want us to get rid of a manager and replace him with someone lesser simply because the defenders boot it upfield.

I'm glad we've got him another year. Bar one good 12 months under JED we've always had the worry of relegation and the football was even shitter.

I like our current style of making other teams hate playing us. Sure we have plenty of shit performances but it's totally normal for anyone who isn't sucked into having the mentality of a top Prem team. He said it totally wrong but you can see the point JED was trying to make with "we're only Gillingham"

Sure he signs some duff players but he gets them out pretty quick to replace them with better. Can we honestly say our previous managers have signed better players on average?

There’s no victory in going down playing nice football. We’ve had barely a few seasons in my lifetime playing decent football, and long ball for the rest of it. I don’t want us to get rid of a manager and replace him with someone lesser simply because the defenders boot it upfield.
Good point Trev.
One of the nicest footballing teams we’ve seen this season has been Rochdale.

Has Evans only ever set teams up one way, I'm not sure he has. I was discussing next season with my son in law and expresssed the opinion that Oliver might be in demand and would be hard to replace. His answer was that he'd trust Evans and Raynor to replace him effectively, which made me wonder for a moment , but he persuaded me. His point is that Evans and Raynor scout players endlessly for particular purposes and to fit a certain pattern. If the players don't fit they move on or don't get picked and he's ready to change the system too, hence the resets at transfer windows. On that basis I hope they stay

Has Evans only ever set teams up one way, I'm not sure he has. I was discussing next season with my son in law and expresssed the opinion that Oliver might be in demand and would be hard to replace. His answer was that he'd trust Evans and Raynor to replace him effectively, which made me wonder for a moment , but he persuaded me. His point is that Evans and Raynor scout players endlessly for particular purposes and to fit a certain pattern. If the players don't fit they move on or don't get picked and he's ready to change the system too, hence the resets at transfer windows. On that basis I hope they stay

I think your son in law is right jogills.
Some managers decide what they think works and recruit against that system.
Others play a system that is dictated by the players available.
I prefer positive, direct football but others like tippy tappy 200 touch football.
I remember when I played that there was not much worse than being up front and hardly seeing the ball. It’s very frustrating.
Our style gets the ball to the forwards quickly and they are the guys who are going to get the goals.

I'm happy for him to stay on.

Not all of this signings have worked out but then which manager can say they get it right every time? He gets the right characters (hard workers) in which is a start and the minimum we expect at Gillingham.

I can't comment on his touchline conduct as I've not watched a game via ifollow this season.