Bristol Rovers/Ehmer | Page 6 | Vital Football

Bristol Rovers/Ehmer

Bristol Rovers are one of a growing number of clubs that I don’t like.

The unjustified preseason hype from their supporters, the way they slashed the cash to financially outmuscle us for Max and Brandon’s signature, the way they’ve chopped and changed managers, the fact they appointed dimwit JB, and the way that JB has ruined Max so publicly... ...I hope that they get relegated.

The unjustified preseason hype from their supporters, the way they slashed the cash to financially outmuscle us for Max and Brandon’s signature, the way they’ve chopped and changed managers, the fact they appointed dimwit JB, and the way that JB has ruined Max so publicly... ...I hope that they get relegated.

Cant disagree with any of that Trashy.

I was one of those at the start of the season who thought they’d be a big player this year. They certainly splashed the cash (not just on Max & Brandon) having sold JCH. And they’ve also got that shiny new big stadium in the pipeline and wealthy owners.

Never had a problem with them before, but as the season has worn on I’m getting a bigger and bigger dislike for them. Weird when I actually preferred a Swindon win tonight. I feel unclean...

Hope Max can get out of this nightmare. Good player when he fits.

One big difference between the two.At the time Max left he hadn't been offered a contract by us to stay here. At the time Hanlon left he had been offered a contract by us to stay here.

Hanlon dragged it out for six weeks and was actually offered at least one if not two new improved contracts to stay here, yet he decided to go to Rovers (completely within his rights). SE (with his Gills hat on) seemed to be of the opinion Hanlon was being poorly advised and that he (or more likely his agent on his behalf) were not being straight. Max on the other hand signed for Rovers 3 weeks after his contract with us finished and up to that point had not been offered any kind of concrete contract offer.

I know which one I think went for the money out the two. Granted it hasn't worked out for either of them.

Agree re Ogilvie. Think he'll have a better offer than us this summer.
The difference with Hanlan was that we had to offer him a contract at least at the same rate as his previous one, to ensure we’d get a fee for him at a tribunal if we couldn’t agree one with Rovers or whoever he signed for. As far as I know that tribunal has not taken place yet so we are probably still owed money for him.
It could be that Hanlan (or his agent at least) felt that he was worth more than that, and whatever deals we offered him weren’t what he wanted.
He seems to be a regular starter now for Bristol Rovers, but isn’t scoring many goals, which was his problem here too.

I've never liked Bristol Rovers much. Their fans seem to have evolved only minimally from their Neanderthal forbears.
Bristol City on the other hand, had a few great lunchtime beers with their fans back in the day.

More from Barton tonight. Basically he blames the previous regime for their current position, and the quick turnaround in between games for not being able to do anything about it. He talks a lot without saying much else of note:

What a dickhead. In 8 minutes, he managed to say:

Bristol Rovers keep losing games because the referees are terrible.

Confidence is low and they need to address that in house. He can’t tell supporters what’s wrong because it needs to be done behind closed doors. Oh - but Ehmer is shit.

He can’t tell supporters what’s wrong because it needs to be done behind closed doors.
Yeah if the way he publicly spoke about Ehmer is what he deems as behind closed doors, id hate to imagine what 'going public' would look like with him.

No wonder the confidence is low jusging by the way he's spoken to players so far.

It was the ref wot dun it again.
Had it not been for the ref, Rovers would have won.
Next headline
Joey chins ref😂

To be fair to them, having just watched the highlights, I think the ref and linesman got it badly wrong with the goal they had disallowed last night.

Agree with the comments above about Barton. Seems that in trying to ensure the door was closed he slammed it on Ehmer's fingers.

It was the ref wot dun it again.
Had it not been for the ref, Rovers would have won.
Next headline
Joey chins ref😂

I’ve always thought the Trevor Kettle is one of the better lower-league referees.

And, in my opinion, refereeing standards Are so much better than they used to be at our level. Sure - we occasionally get the rub of the green or conversely a Lincoln player will cheat a penalty by falling over theoretically in the penalty box. But, generally, I think the referees are pretty good.

JB is right on one point though. Referees at L1 level are not full time and they earn a pittance. Until that changes, standards won’t get much better than they are already.

To be fair, there were plenty on here pre-season who were lapping it up too. I do hate to tell you, but "I told you so".

The reference to Ehmer at QPR 8 or 9 years ago was odd. It makes me wonder whether Barton is as worried about what Ehmer might have to say about that period as much as what Ehmer was like back then. It's also beginning to look as if Joey is worried that the task is bigger and harder than he imagined. It's tough in League One especially in the relegation zone as we know.

To be fair, there were plenty on here pre-season who were lapping it up too. I do hate to tell you, but "I told you so".
Erm i dont think anyone was lapping up, or stating that Rovers were actually going to succeed with their ambitions. So you've no one to say "i told you so to" IMO.

I think the point always was that certainly we could understand how Ehmer might think they have more potential than us. You couldn't even comprehend how a club like Rovers would draw a player away from the Mighty Gills - best club in the land (i agree too of course).

The point that they've sacked various managers just shows the difference in ambition though IMO. If we had the same ambitions, we'd have sacked Evans earlier on this season when the football was awful and results weren't really going our way and it was looking like we'd slip into the lower half/relegation fight.

Their managerial changes shows they are determined to get it right sooner rather than later and underperforming is simply not acceptable. That shows their ambition. Along with the money (of course), it's the ambition of the club that will be why these players who have ambitions of performing at the top of the league or higher will have wanted to get involved (along with the money of course).

The point isn't though that this money means they are dead certs for promotion. These clubs with big money occasionally get it right straight away, but more than regularly they take a few goes at it to get it right... but they almost always get it in the end. We have seen high profile examples all over the leagues. Chelsea took a few years and a few managerial changes after the money came in. Man City, the same. But they all got there in the end, sooner or later.

Rovers with their money are now a club that will be expecting promotion/playoffs each year - that doesnt mean they will achieve it, they have to spend their money smartly - but the ambitions are clearly a little higher than us who are generally quite happy with a brief flirtation with the playoffs if truth be told.

I believe that unless the owners get bored/sick of ploughing in money, they will succeed sooner or later. 1-3 years etc.

Incidentally, it actually turns out that it's possible that in Ehmer's case, maybe his ability simply doesn't actually match their ambitions/the reason for going there. Is he really good enough for top of league 1? He believed he could perform at the top of the league 1. It's looking like he's not able to. But this is another matter. Of course we all knew that in Ehmer's case the security of an actual offer (where he had none from GFC at that point) was key for him probably, rather than a big pay rise, but the ambitions of the club will also have been one key draw.

The reference to Ehmer at QPR 8 or 9 years ago was odd. It makes me wonder whether Barton is as worried about what Ehmer might have to say about that period as much as what Ehmer was like back then. It's also beginning to look as if Joey is worried that the task is bigger and harder than he imagined. It's tough in League One especially in the relegation zone as we know.
It's tough in every league, whether you're challenging for promotion, or aiming to avoid relegation.

I thought it extremely patronising when Barton referred to Max as 'the boy' given that he is only nine years his senior.

I'd reckon that if Barton is still at Rovers next season, then Max Ehmer won't be.

Joey the Magnificent’s press conference today

“There’s a cancer running throughout this club and it needs cutting out”

Nice. Is he including his new employer in that statement.

I thought it extremely patronising when Barton referred to Max as 'the boy' given that he is only nine years his senior.

I'd reckon that if Barton is still at Rovers next season, then Max Ehmer won't be.
I think it’s because Barton was Captain when Ehmer was at QPR, and Ehmer would have been a young player in the reserves/development squad.
For whatever reason he clearly wants Ehmer gone.

Think it'll be a bumpy ride for Rovers for a while until Barton stops throwing people under the bus.

For someone so educated he does seem a tad blunt. Question is will the players turn on him before he gets his feet under the table. His rantings might be what supporters want to hear but will not do anything for his relationship with ANY of the players.

For whatever reason he clearly wants Ehmer gone.

Might be as innocent as ehmer has had a poor season on the pitch. Remember the game down there where he fell over to let Oliver score.

Ehmer always seemed very relaxed on the pitch to me, some could mistake that for not showing enough aggression. I get the Impression that Barton likes an aggressive player - that's not really Ehmer.