Bristol Rovers/Ehmer | Page 4 | Vital Football

Bristol Rovers/Ehmer

Ehmer started today for the first time in a while but was subbed off at half time in Rover's 2-0 defeat to Plymouth - and both goals came in first half! :grinning:

I don’t think any of the bottom six are going to hit 50 points which is the usual target.
To get out of trouble, someone is going to need to win five of the last ten games.
That’s unlikely.
It could be a low total to stay up this season.

I don’t think any of the bottom six are going to hit 50 points which is the usual target.
To get out of trouble, someone is going to need to win five of the last ten games.
That’s unlikely.

Very tight down there. Swindons win today took them from bottom to 19th.

2pts separating those 6 clubs, and all have similar GD and same games played (except AFCW 1 less). Not like the top half.

That’s unlikely.
How can you say that to get out of trouble someone would need to win five of the last ten games but then also say it'll be a low total to stay up in the same paragraph/post. If it's a low total, then teams will not need to get 5 wins (15 points) to stay up. 5 wins would mean the target would be between 47-49 points. Comparing that with the last 10 years, this is merely the lower side of average, not THAT low. And certainly not where the current PPG is suggesting the line will be - as you suggest yourself - it's looking like the target will be very low this season.

At the current PPG rate, it's actually looking like 43/44 points would be enough to stay up. An exceptionally low target. Matched only once in the last 10 years (the 11/12 season). So if this is the case, then clubs will only need between 9-12 points to get out of trouble.

That's 3 wins for some, and still only 4 wins for even the very lowest club (currently Rochdale).

Of course at this point in the season, sometimes the lower clubs do start to increase their PPG so if this were to happen, then at a push maybe 45/46 might be needed. That's still only 3 wins and a draw or 4 wins for all the clubs down there.

How can you say that to get out of trouble someone would need to win five of the last ten games but then also say it'll be a low total to stay up in the same paragraph/post. If it's a low total, then teams will not need to get 5 wins (15 points) to stay up. 5 wins would mean the target would be between 47-49 points. Comparing that with the last 10 years, this is merely the lower side of average, not THAT low. And certainly not where the current PPG is suggesting the line will be - as you suggest yourself - it's looking like the target will be very low this season.

At the current PPG rate, it's actually looking like 43/44 points would be enough to stay up. An exceptionally low target. Matched only once in the last 10 years (the 11/12 season). So if this is the case, then clubs will only need between 9-12 points to get out of trouble.

That's 3 wins for some, and still only 4 wins for even the very lowest club (currently Rochdale).

Of course at this point in the season, sometimes the lower clubs do start to increase their PPG so if this were to happen, then at a push maybe 45/46 might be needed. That's still only 3 wins and a draw or 4 wins for all the clubs down there.
Well that's cleared that up then.

It seems that Max's confidence is totally shot and I'm sorry for him that so far his move hasn't worked out. Were he to be released I would welcome him back to our squad and get SE and PR working on him to rebuild his confidence. On form he is certainly a reliable top half of L1 CB.

I don't think you need to feel sorry for him, his bank balance is looking healthy following the move. He's under contract for next season as well down there so can't see him being released.

I might take Max back because he had a decent partnership with Tucker last season and Jack looked confident with him. But it would be as backup to our current pairing with the proviso that he worked hard to improve his current game. I think Tucker and Cundy have been our best combo this season and complement each other well. If we could keep them together for next season, I believe we could have a very effective unit at this level.

Barton quoted in local Brizzle paper today:

“We’re trying to climb Everest and those that can come with us, great, because the higher we go now, the altitude, the air gets thinner and if we’ve got any passengers, they’ll cause casualties along the way. So on Monday morning, we might lose one or two, because we can’t have any dead weight trying to summit this mountain that is in front of us for our League One survival".

Not getting the impression that Barton rates the two ex-Gills, might find out on Monday.

Just looked at Rovers first team squad on-line. They list 34 players in the squad which includes 2 players out on loan. Astonishingly they list 6 goalkeepers but only 3 strikers.

Just looked at Rovers first team squad on-line. They list 34 players in the squad which includes 2 players out on loan. Astonishingly they list 6 goalkeepers but only 3 strikers.
I noticed that Bert.
That’s down to the previous manager before Tidsdale.
Ben Garner I think it was.
An unusual recruitment program.
That’s a big squad at this level.
Imagine their budget.

It wouldn't surprise me if SE mentions Ehmer and Hanlan's seasons if we've got any players who might look at jumping ship to another L1 club promising a promotion charge.

I don’t know what they expected from Ehmer?
Possibly, as Gills captain, a sensible and experienced centre half.
In Hanlan’s case, the fans thought that they had got a central frontman.
The guy in my local bookie is a Gas fan and was surprised when I told him that Brandon was more of a winger type number 10 and would be unlikely to hit double figures.
I said he’d work hard, give everything but isn’t composed enough to be a striker.
That seems to be pretty accurate so far.
I really liked Hanlan and wouldn’t mind him back at some stage but not as a number nine.

Barton quoted in local Brizzle paper today:

“We’re trying to climb Everest and those that can come with us, great, because the higher we go now, the altitude, the air gets thinner and if we’ve got any passengers, they’ll cause casualties along the way. So on Monday morning, we might lose one or two, because we can’t have any dead weight trying to summit this mountain that is in front of us for our League One survival".

Not getting the impression that Barton rates the two ex-Gills, might find out on Monday.
And they are stuck in the foothills of the Himalayas!

I noticed that Bert.
That’s down to the previous manager before Tidsdale.
Ben Garner I think it was.
An unusual recruitment program.
That’s a big squad at this level.
Imagine their budget.
Surely our budget isn't lower than theirs?

I wouldn’t want either back. As I’ve said previously I really don’t get this fascination with taking ex players back. They were here, did a job for a while, left for pastures new. That’s fine and I wish them no ills in the future. Would either of them get in the side as a starter? No. Did they both take a pay rise to leave and go to Rovers? We assume so. Therefore would we have them back on a good wage to be back up. Definitely not.

Thanks but no thanks. I would rather trust in Evans and Raynor to use their contacts in the game to find the next generation of gills players. Rather than take players back that saw greener grass down the West Country.

Ehmer’s confidence and respect amongst players and fans will certainly be shot to pieces by Joey Barton’s comments today.......wrong choice of captain.......nothing changed with Max since his previous encounter with him at QPR upto 9 years ago .....too deep a line kept on Saturday etc etc
Joey building up his excuses in case of relegation possibly?
Harlan next I wonder?

Ehmer’s confidence and respect amongst players and fans will certainly be shot to pieces by Joey Barton’s comments today.......wrong choice of captain.......nothing changed with Max since his previous encounter with him at QPR upto 9 years ago .....too deep a line kept on Saturday etc etc
Joey building up his excuses in case of relegation possibly?
Harlan next I wonder?

I read those comments after seeing your post- ouch.