Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City

A pretty negative second half, in a game that at half time was there for the taking. As a result feel like it is two points dropped. But still there, well in the mix, and all to play for.

We have the ability to walk this league. We have the consistency to finish anywhere in the top half.
Why take our foot off the pedal in the second half? - we looked good in the first. So frustrating. But, better to be frustrated at the top than at the bottom!

Automatic promotion is going to be 2 from 4 and when you consider we are in that small group alongside Peterborough Hull and Sunderland it's a fantastic position with less that a quarter of the season to go.

My sole thought is that whichever 2 on that list finish 3rd and 4th won't win the Play Offs if history is anything to go off

Excellent first half- high pressing game which gave Town little time to compose or build any momentum. Top drawer goal from Rogers.

Second half we simply gave them 5 yards, no high press, time to apply pressure and eventually it paid off.

Not sure if that was tactical or simply sub conscious by the players.

As MA said, if you can't win against the top teams, make sure you don't lose.

On first half, we looked like a cert away win.
On second half, I'll take a point.

Edun again showed some great intent and filled the gap left by Bridcutt. Back four I thought we excellent the whole game. Jones had one of his poorer games (IMO).

One point opens up the table much more than it looked at half time. Two games in hand on Hull but now 4 points behind them AND we still have to play them at the Bank.

Looking like a tight run in

A point at Ipswich is not to be sniffed at but it could have been all three really. I feel we were too negative second half. It's a fine line but when you play such a low block and the opposition know you are not coming out at all, that allows them to confidently take full control of the game. The chances of keeping a side out for a full half really is asking something and as shown, it only takes one set piece to score a goal.

Ipswich are no great shakes and may have been there for the taking. If we had just been a little more progressive they would have feared our pace no end based on the first half performance. Trying to draw them onto us is one thing but we had to show some intent; we didn't and that ultimately cost us the extra two points .

As most are saying, a point tonight is a good point. Strange and ultimately disappointing match, after controlling the first half we totally lost our rhythm 2nd half. Ipswich never really threatened and gifted the equaliser by a moment of sloppy defending.

Onto Saturday!

Would have taken a draw before the game, but that first half performance and a lead raises the expectation. Not sure we got the tactics right in the second half as they were vulnerable to pace on the flanks - we seemed to stop attacking them - or did Ipswich pull off a tactical switch which stopped us?

It was quite clear that the second half tactic was allow Nsiala to have the ball in their half and wait for a terrible long ball. Honestly it worked and only a poorly defended set piece cost us their goal. We upped it after that but just couldn't quite link it together as they had in the first half.

Overall a very good first half and more of an attempt to kill the game second which didn't come off.

Quick synopsis. Excellent first half and lovely goal;second half, switched off. Ipswich were as bad as when I saw Swindon beat them earlier this season. Turn walking football into a fine art. MApp will not be happy at that second half performance. I'd have taken a point at 7.Onward!

We were much the better team in the first half, so I can't understand why we changed the plan? It looked to me that if we'd come out and played the same, we'd have won 3-0 - interview should be interesting - I hope!

The home commentators summed it up well as we sat back and handed the initiative to Ipswich after we scored. Ipswich were struggling to contain us prior to our goal. It is still a good point away from home and keeps us involved at the top. On to Rochdale.