The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 88 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

I almost posted on this thread two games ago that he has improved markedly since the Man City match. Even in the games we've lost in there, he has appeared braver and is no longer turning sideways when a shot comes in. Today was the best example of this as he put his body on the line time and again. Praise where it's due and he deserves it for his past few performances....

Mings was fantastic. He seemed to enjoy the physical challenge yesterday a bit more than he sometimes does, and his footballing ability as always is top class.

There’s nothing wrong with constructive criticism on the forum, the reason he was fantastic was that he didn’t do any of the things that are holding him back to living up to his reputation as the complete defender which commentators seem to suggest. I’ve always said he has all the attributes to become a top defender but I do think his reputation is slightly ahead of his actually ability, and for his own good he can’t let his ego get ahead of him.

He didn’t lose concentration, he didn’t get caught up field, he didn’t try to flick balls rather than booting it when in danger. This is one of the final parts of his game he needs to work on, and he needs to do this for nearly 40 games a season.

There can be no denying that Aston Villa's improvement under head coach Dean Smith has been nothing short of phenomenal in spite of the added complications the 2020/21 Premier League campaign brings. Many players have improved further on their mixed form in 2019/20 and new additions such as Matty Cash and Ollie Watkins have definitely hit the ground running, even if we all know there are consistency issues to be dealt with, and obvious things we can further improve upon.
https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co...lla-star-is-back-to-his-colossal-best-for-me/

Good read and well said. Mings is one of my favourite players and alongside Jack he has been a massive influence on our astonishing journey from mid-table Championship to competing for Europe. I very much doubt we would find ourselves where we are without him. Football is about opinions and those who have singled out Mings for some of his mistakes are fully entitled to theirs.
But as far as I'm concerned Mings is a fantastic player and professional and I'm sure when his race is run the Villa fans will look back with the same affection we have for the legendary defenders we have enjoyed watching in claret and blue in the past.

:tophat:

He definitely got complacent for me and made some very simple errors that were right to be highlighted, but in hindsight the City issue must have rocked him, but instead of being pissed and digging in, he seems to have got pissed and demanded more from himself and it's working for me.

Much better the last few games, better decisions, keeping it more simple, doesn't look flustered or panicked and whilst it might be my perception of the last few games, as he's pointing and shouting as much as ever, he seems to be more aware of his own game at the same time.

mings is world class for 89 mins of a game but very often seems to have a moment of madness .loses the ball by trying to over play it most the time and what iv noticed the last few games is how he is always pushing players in the back and its going to cost us a pen sooner or later
most likely next time we play man utd i bet lol

A bit frightening that, means we allow too many crosses into the box Still! Despite all the clean sheets

What I mean is it's like Sam Johnson has made 89 saves the most in the PL he's also let the most goals in , not a good stat really

The first choice back 5 are all really good individually and as a unit.
We just need to add 3 first team players and some cover

Mings has - credit to him - been solid for a number of games on the trot now. He’s stepped on massively and cut out the sloppiness that a few of us were calling out. I can’t recall a time in this league where he has been as consistent as this. I stand by my constructive criticism of him, either he has recognised or someone has coached taking unnecessary risks out of his game. He’s a much more calculated player these days.

With Mings, concentration seems to slide after England appearances, when he becomes an England regular more often it’ll be like clockwork going from Bodymoor to St George’s park and back again.

Really pleased with him lately, you can’t much better than Martinez, Konsa and Mings at our level.

Last edited:
I obviously made no secret that I felt the criticism was over the top. Yes, he was in a dodgy spell but he was kopping blame for every thing that went wrong. It was really bizarre at times.
He is a damn good defender and the talk of binning him was ridiculous. He has been up there with the best performer for several weeks now and given his previous performances since he joined, his breaking into the England team and the high regard that those outside Villa hold him in it was never in doubt in my humble.

So if we can't make Iron Man by Sabbath work with "Tyrone Mings" then we may as well just go Olé olé olé olé forever. I've made a start.

He is Tyrone Mings
Heading, blocking, pointing at things
Never loses his shit
Gets on the train in his Villa kit

[Chorus]
Nobody beats him
He just shouts at the world
Chewing his gum
Making your striker look small

Other verses? Changes?

Worth a listen, speaks the truth and goes on about it’d be a cop out to sit here and say put things into perspective we’re in a great league position, we should be higher and there’s no hiding from that, we should of picked up more points in the last chunk of games, the league doesn’t give you anything and to get into the top 4 or the top 6 we have to show a level of consistency that we’re trying to find.

Frustration is again I'd have said it was his only proper mistake all game, but whenever he makes one we always get punished. In my humble, lesser but higher hyped players like Stones, Maguire et al have more mistakes in them in a 90 yet get away with it.

After his post Man C improvement, I'm just pleased he didn't let his head drop and can take the boost of helping us to level - and then not hiding from the error after with his Tweet.

Keep his head screwed on and he'll keep improving.