EFL Survey | Vital Football

EFL Survey

Dazza63

Vital Newbie
I have just completed a rather lengthy EFL survey, which was essentially all about the experience watching matches via streaming during the pandemic. One of the key questions was whether streaming should still be available once fans are allowed back in (partially or fully). I answered yes, as I live a 150 mile round trip from the ground and whilst I used to be a season ticket holder, the time and cost of fuel means that I can no longer justify it. I still used to attend half a dozen or so home games a season, but if I'm honest it has got less and less over recent seasons. iFollow has provided me with the opportunity to watch live matches and I've watched about 8 so far this season. I'd be interested to hear other views on the future of the streaming service.

It is some time since I used to regularly drive the 600 mile round trip to Bloomfield Road, a little less time since staying over and doing the journey over two days so yes I would welcome the opportunity.
I am eighty this year, no problem with driving just don't enjoy the experience, not knowing what the tunnel and the motorway system is going to be like.
The roads on Saturday's appear busier than ever and the trains are bloody expensive, so for me yes.

It doesnt really apply to expats overseas , as the service has been around a couple of years now.
It's more to do with streaming live games to viewers in the UK , with (I'm guessing) the changes in regulations required.
It's a yes for me , even if it's for the others on here!

I've tried to start the survey , but its telling me it's too busy and to try later.
For those who have completed it , does it offer an opportunity to write down any suggestions ?

I have just completed a rather lengthy EFL survey, which was essentially all about the experience watching matches via streaming during the pandemic. One of the key questions was whether streaming should still be available once fans are allowed back in (partially or fully). I answered yes, as I live a 150 mile round trip from the ground and whilst I used to be a season ticket holder, the time and cost of fuel means that I can no longer justify it. I still used to attend half a dozen or so home games a season, but if I'm honest it has got less and less over recent seasons. iFollow has provided me with the opportunity to watch live matches and I've watched about 8 so far this season. I'd be interested to hear other views on the future of the streaming service.

Thanks, Dazza, interesting thread. I`ve just tried to take part in the survey but the "system is busy" (I`ll try again). To answer your question about live streaming, I would support your response. Like you, I live a long way from GFC and only get to a few home games each season. Thanks to the iFollow stream I have watched every Gills game, something I would not ordinarily have been able to do. Also it means that GFC benefit from my £8.50 (net) iFollow payment - that`s £8.50 x 18-20 odd home games, that GFC wouldn`t have received from me in a "normal" season.

Oddly, perhaps, I`d still travel to most of the away games as I really enjoy the experience and also, a lot of them are not too far away from the NW of the Country. I did miss a few midweek away games last (proper) season because I was tempted into watching via iFollow rather than a long drive home on a rainy Tuesday night !

Anyway, good stuff, Dazza.

Edited to say - Survey completed

Last edited:
I usually watch my football live and live fairly near Priestfield but ifollow has been a blessing while we have been locked out. I lived in Yorkshire for nearly 40 years and some years I was restricted to a handful of away games so I understand how good ifollow can be. It's a yes from me.

Last edited:
you should integrate more and watch the nearest team to where you now live.

I don't disagree. Love watching Gillingham away days now I live in the north but should there be a delay in away fans returning to stadia post lockdown or if i am at a loss for something to do on a Saturday then I will go and watch Blackburn.

you should integrate more and watch the nearest team to where you now live.

Do you know what, i actually agree with this. Of course I started supporting gills as they were my local team, but now i've moved away I do still support them but I think there's something to be had for actually just supporting your local team. I've started following my local rugby club - Thurrock. It's an excellent way to integrate into the local community and make loads of friends locally.

If Grays Athletic actually had a home in Grays, i'd go and support them.

Until then though, i'll continue to cross the river. I am not exactly an exile though - it's only a 30-40 minute journey to games. Even some in Kent dont have that.

Since moving north i`ve tried watching several other teams (there are loads in the N/West) but GFC`s in the blood and there`ll be no transfusion ! Wish I could get to more home games - it`s just too far. But, tbf, this iFollow malarkey could turn out to be a godsend for anyone in my situation.

I watch Fylde if I cant get to a Gills game, also, occasionally (like Foxinthebox67) Blackburn Rovers.

Likewise it’s over a 200 mile round trip for me and although you can’t beat the actual match day experience given the choice I would still attend the same amount of games but would pay to watch the other games on IFollow. I have watched more games this season than normal

Where does the money we pay to watch a match go precisely. Does Gillingham FC get all of the cash or only a certain percentage? I'd also like to know how many viewer are there on average. Given the number of different reactions on here during the match, I wouldn't have thought it was that busy but there again, some people have lives and prefer doing something else than hanging around on Vital Gills most of the day - like me.

Last edited:
Where does the money we pay to watch a match go precisely. Do Gillingham fc get all of the cash or only a certain percentage? I'd also like to know how many viewer are there on average. Given the number of different reactions on here during the match, I wouldn't have thought it was that busy but there again, some people have lives and prefer doing something else than hanging around on Vital Gills most of the day - like me.
I believe (at least during COVID times), the club gets 70% of the revenue for home games. For away games, we only get revenue after the first 500 ifollow passes are sold i believe.

I believe (at least during COVID times), the club gets 70% of the revenue for home games. For away games, we only get revenue after the first 500 ifollow passes are sold i believe.
Thanks for that AK - I'm glad to hear that I am actually contributing something to the club and not some fancy bloody IT firm who are actually in cahoots with the EFL to rake in all of the money.

The official line is that all of the £10 subs goes to the clubs. There is a complicated formula to decide how much the away team gets of the away subs. A couple of clubs owners (Accrington and Barrow) did share some data which seems to suggest that's true. I don't know how the costs of the streaming are funded.

Personally I live nowhere near Gillingham and I'd be very happy with continued streaming. I've watched more games (home and away) this year than for many years. I'm unsure how workable it is though, especially when £10 is so much less than a regular match ticket.

I did try to complete the survey, but just get a message saying that the site is busy. That seems extremely fitting.