Coronavirus vaccine | Page 68 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

The way that I understand it is that us immunised folk will be protected from severe reactions and the nut jobs will go round infecting each other and getting sick.

Or not getting sick if they are young and healthy and therefore unaffected.

I will be getting vaccinated as I am 50 and understand the risk. I think it is a different question if I was 20 and I was juggling unknown downside (long term effect of vaccine) with minimal upside (protection against a virus that wouldn't affect me).

I wonder what the vaccine take up rates will be amongst the young? I would be surprised if take up rates don't fall as the groups get younger and younger

Fair points jogills and I reckon some of the reluctant will go along with the crowd when having the vaccine is the norm.

Unfortunately my anecdote is an example of rank selfishness and stupidity which isn't as rare as I'd like.

Us oldies remember from our parents what health was like before the miracle of vaccines. Some younger people seem to take their safety for granted.

Fingers crossed that the doubters will go along with the majority. For once I'd like them to be like sheep in such a scenario.
If you fancy a real thrombie, look up Kate Hopkins on Instagram. It'll boil your pi$$ 😉

Being bored enough to watch Daytime TV today, I caught Dr Xand Van Tulleken talking about some social media posts where people that have had the jab are actually crediting it with helping existing health issues including pain conditions and eczema.

Although he thinks that should be taken with a pinch of salt, anything that boosts antibodies and your immune system could have such bonus benefits.

That should be a further incentive to take the jab and puts in to perspective any minor risks or temporary side effects.
"Although he thinks that should be taken with a pinch of salt, anything that boosts antibodies and your immune system could have such bonus benefits."

I read an article the other day (can't remember where) that said the technology involved with the Pfizer jab could be used eventually to immunise against some cancers.
Out of all this misery, there are some great achievements emerging.

Sorry Nobby but regardless of political views, as someone dealing with the daily face to face effects of this pandemic the government is totally and utterly to blame for the lack of preparation for the pandemic in particular the inadequate PPE. Hancock lied in parliament last year when he said we would cope and already had adequate supplies and resources. The reason does go back a little further - the obsession by Cameron and in turn May to cut NHS spending and all the other public sector cuts that they both introduced. This is where the buck stops no matter how the right wing press will try to cover it up.

I was told today that ultra vegans refuse the jab on the grounds that it has involved testing on animals. Wonder if that FGR bloke is having the jab?

Oh dear, that fell flat.
Thought the little smiley winky thing would give it away ⬆️

Too much subtle whooshing, Nobs. We have all fallen for it at some time or another.

As Kate says, though, there have been some weird strategies and plans from governments over recent years, and so much money wasted.

Aside from the budget cuts, there were those stupid contracts, wasting money bumping up GPs salaries and supposedly making them responsible for "buying" services as if they were experts in procurement. What the hell was all that about?

Making the Government responsible for hospitals but local councils responsible for social care - very joined up thinking - not ! How often has that resulted in readmissions to hospital due to no proper provision for convalescence?

P*ssing billions up the wall on a failed national computer system, and more recently unusable PPE.

The list goes on and on.

Questions over vaccine safety have been around for ages. The MMR controversy springs to mind.

We vaccinated our kids with MMR on the basis of trusting the scientists and the risks of serious infection were higher than we perceived the risk of the vaccine. we knew parents who didn't though. I wonder if they will take the COVID one.

Same thing applies with COVID in my view. Might not be 100% safe but its safe enough for me.

My son (17) wouldn't take it offered, its a mute point as he won't be offered it but he has been influenced by social media not to take it. By the time he is old enough it will be his choice to make. He'll soon change his mind if he cant travel on holiday without it I am sure !

I suspect that non vaccinated people will find some things difficult come the autumn.
Aside from holidaying abroad and requirments made by other countries before allowing entry i.e. vaccine and / or negative test.
What about staff in hospitality or employees who enter your home for any reason.
Lets say I ring up to get my boiler serviced and say I will not allow anyone into the house who is not vaccinated to carry out the work or I ring the local restaurant and state I need them to tell me all their staff are vaccinated before a book a table.
I guess if nothing else it will lead to interesting conversations between employers & staff.
Mullins at Pimlico plumbers is already anticipating this I think by saying new employees must be vaccinated..... what happens to existing employees who refuse will get tricky if no one wants to use them.
Interesting times ahead.

Tommy - agree with what you say, except I think restaurants/pubs may only be able to take vaccinated people due to - our insurers say if we are closed due to serving non vaccinated customers, our insurance is invalid. - hence No vaccination card, no entry :shrug:

I suspect that non vaccinated people will find some things difficult come the autumn.
Aside from holidaying abroad and requirments made by other countries before allowing entry i.e. vaccine and / or negative test.
What about staff in hospitality or employees who enter your home for any reason.
Lets say I ring up to get my boiler serviced and say I will not allow anyone into the house who is not vaccinated to carry out the work or I ring the local restaurant and state I need them to tell me all their staff are vaccinated before a book a table.
I guess if nothing else it will lead to interesting conversations between employers & staff.
Mullins at Pimlico plumbers is already anticipating this I think by saying new employees must be vaccinated..... what happens to existing employees who refuse will get tricky if no one wants to use them.
Interesting times ahead.

How easily we give up our freedoms!

Freedom to kill others?

Perhaps I should be free to drive as fast as I like, anywhere.

Vaccinations to travel have always been in place. Also a requirement for health or care workers to have certain vaccinations has always happened.

however domestic restrictions for the general public on movement and access have not been and this could be an overkill which could be an entry point for further restrictions in the future. Its not a decision that should be taken lightly. Reminds you of labours identity card.

Vaccinations to travel have always been in place. Also a requirement for health or care workers to have certain vaccinations has always happened.

however domestic restrictions for the general public on movement and access have not been and this could be an overkill which could be an entry point for further restrictions in the future. Its not a decision that should be taken lightly. Reminds you of labours identity card.
Fair points.

I no longee jave a paeticular problem wth id cards nowadays. Unless one is a hermit living in a cave somewhere like Rockall, etails of our lives are easily traced - take our use of this site as an example.