Match Thread: Lincoln City v Fleetwood Town | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Fleetwood Town

The goals we have started to concede began when Johnson was dropped back into midfield. He had a decent game tonight, but it leaves us too exposed. Got to be Sanders, Jones and McGrandles on Saturday in midfield with Johnson moving up front in place of Rogers.

Edun had a bit of a mare tonight, but got no help from Rogers. As someone else mentioned, I still think Eyoma and Edun are our best full back pairing. Poole is decent but he doesn't fit in with our short passing in that area of the field like Eyoma does.

Johnson, Hopper and Scully or Morton up front. Rogers needs a few games on the bench.

Makes Saturday an absolute must win, especially from a confidence angle.

I thought Sanders for the short time he was on the pitch was excellent apart from one over hit pass. Very encouraging going forward.

No criticism of Poole , but apart from a game or so before he arrived Eyoma was getting great reviews, then to be fair he looked a bit jaded. I was surprised he hasn’t been brought back into the side after a couple of games rest, unless he isn’t fully fit.
I think we look weak defensively down the left , Rodgers isn’t doing the covering work for which ever left back, Bramell and Edun seem to give the ball away for fun which means we are constantly under pressure down that side.
Sanders from what we have seen looks the class addition to the squad, Poole is o.k., Bramell, I don't know what he is or what he adds. He seems marginally worse than Edun who has reverted to early season form. We have options to change in those defensive positions!

don’t forget we have 2 games in hand over Hell. If we play those games with fit covid free players we stand a chance. I think it’s between Hell Sunlan and us for 2nd.

Overall disappointment - Tayo had another mare - Scully obviously not 100% and Rogers has lost a bit of spark. Positives were Sanders, Jackson, Morton - all is not yet lost - oh and to make yourself feel a little happier, I recommend a peak at the foot of Division 4
When Tayo plays well, Lincoln play well.

He's not (yet) the midfield orchestrator but he's the performance bellwether, when it works for him our passing and movement is better. Tonight it didn't work for him and didn't work for the rest of the team.

We were terrible first half. Only came to life when the subs came on. Sanders has to be starting in the midfield and Morton needs to start upfront on Saturday.
With the options we have at the minute you cannot have both Johnson and Roger's starting. Our midfield was non existent in the first half.
The balance and robustness of the starting 11 wasn't good enough. We ,as a team who were second in the league, have just lost at home to a team who have only won 1 game since mid December and were 17th in the league. That's just not good enough if you are serious promotion contenders and we are cos our League position says we are.
Definitely going through a rough patch to say the least but having seen Sanders and Morton tonight we do have some options in team selection and somehow we have to claw a result from somwhere and try and build on it.

When you bring in players like Poole, Bramall and Sanders when we did they can only learn on the job as there's no time to train and get used to the patterns of play.

The full backs in particular are very important in this way of playing as they are expected to play as wingers, create overloads and even go on underlapping runs. That's in addition to defending as conventional full backs and also acting as the keeper's out-ball if the centre backs are marked. That's a lot of responsibility.

Eyoma and Edun had performed very well this season and so naturally Poole and Bramall will suffer by comparison. If they're any good they will grow into it but that might take another half dozen games. I think we can all see Poole is nearer than Bramall but Bramall is quick and that might be an asset.

I'm not going to repeat my views again on Johnson in midfield except to say that I've been vindicated, sadly, and Rogers is beginning to infuriate me. It's no good languidly dropping a shoulder and leaving two defenders sprawling if you then run straight into three more, or can't pass the ball five yards. Next moment he'll ping it 30 yards with no problem.

We may actually have to look at next season now, as was expected all along. We've been a bit spoiled.

if we can recharge bridcutt, walsh, anderson, so they come back for the last few games we could be very strong going into the final few games. sanders and morton will add to that momentum. eyoma already looked recharged tonight.

scully, edun and rogers need to be put on rest+recharge to add to that group.

as the top 10 is so tight the final few games should still be a battle for play offs, and even a shot at second place. still amazing to be looking at this as a prospect, compared to expectations for this season. crisis, what crisis?

When you bring in players like Poole, Bramall and Sanders when we did they can only learn on the job as there's no time to train and get used to the patterns of play.

The full backs in particular are very important in this way of playing as they are expected to play as wingers, create overloads and even go on underlapping runs. That's in addition to defending as conventional full backs and also acting as the keeper's out-ball if the centre backs are marked. That's a lot of responsibility.

Eyoma and Edun had performed very well this season and so naturally Poole and Bramall will suffer by comparison. If they're any good they will grow into it but that might take another half dozen games. I think we can all see Poole is nearer than Bramall but Bramall is quick and that might be an asset.

I'm not going to repeat my views again on Johnson in midfield except to say that I've been vindicated, sadly, and Rogers is beginning to infuriate me. It's no good languidly dropping a shoulder and leaving two defenders sprawling if you then run straight into three more, or can't pass the ball five yards.

We may actually have to look at next season now, as was expected all along. We've been a bit spoiled.
January window signings dont always become an instant success, as you say integrating can be difficult. Think back to Tom Pett, for example.

Poole was signed with next season in mind with TJ going back to Spurs. He's impressed me, good going forward, think he has a goal in him too. Defensively needs improvement which will come.

Bramall needs rest of this season as back up then a full pre-season.

Sanders looks promising and hopefully can fill Bridcutt's role, though inexperience will lead to mistakes, it will allow Johnson to be pushed forward and Rogers to have a rest.

When Tayo plays well, Lincoln play well.

He's not (yet) the midfield orchestrator but he's the performance bellwether, when it works for him our passing and movement is better. Tonight it didn't work for him and didn't work for the rest of the team.
At the moment, I fear, he is the performance bellender.

In the first half things just weren't going for us up front, not helped by Scully playing as poorly as he has all season (although it was a decent effort with his wrong foot when he put the ball just over the bar). But the close control and accurate passing that we've been used to for most of the season generally wasn't there for the first hour of the match.

We were frankly poor at the start of the second half and Fleetwood went through us like a knife through butter for their second goal, for which I'd blame both McGrandles and Jones.

Jones started the match as if he meant business, but then faded out and from what we saw I think Sanders, if fit enough, deserves to start in his place on Saturday.

I've usually defended Edun this season, but can't deny he gave the ball away more often than not tonight.

Man of the match for me was Adam Jackson, and I thought Montsma also did pretty well.

A well-taken goal by Morton to set us up for the last 25 minutes or so when we were the better side - let's hope we can carry that over into the next match.

Some of the stuff posted on here reminds me of how many knob heads follow Lincoln City. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. If we where in the stadium and i was hearing some of this shit then there would definitely be some choice words had MINIMUM.

Feel free to voice your opinions on here about the game or anything else you may want to say. I may agree or disagree with you but I wont criticise you for having an opinion. Please dont come on here with your sanctimonious, righteous I'm a better fan than you attitude because I never criticise anything to do with Lincoln City.
Some people never criticise, some people are straight down the middle and others will have more forthright position. They are all valid and relevant. Nobodys opinion is more important than anyone else's and everyone is entitled to say anything they want.
If you dont like it, dont read it or if you dont agree with it, argue your case.

Yet he was MoM v Swindon a week ago for a 30 minute contribution which injected pace and purpose into the team.

The inconsistency is infuriating but it's what you get with many young players.
Jndeed, he got my vote, but he is a catastrophe waiting to happen every game, his mom performance was 30 minutes.