Match thread, Forest v Luton, part of a lucky run? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Match thread, Forest v Luton, part of a lucky run?

Well I was around for the Clough years, although we moved across the midlands just as Forest got good, so saw less of them than I wanted. And the only Final that I managed to see Forest in was the 1989 Simod Cup Final, 4-3 win over Everton at Wembley, which even the most die- hard would concede will never be the basis of the "you're not famous any more" chant. I fear now that none of us will get our "turn", though we may have a shot at being a lower- end Premier League team. The days of dominating Europe will never be seen. It is an interesting and striking fact that it is still the case that Nottingham is the smallest city in Europe to have had a European Cup- winning team.

Just for the benefit of the under sixties ........... (though I'm not too sure on this one!)

Que sera sera , put the champagne on ice
We're going to Wembley twice,
Que sera sera.

I believe one season we had to change it to Going to Wembley thrice , but not sure about that ?

Why does this thread just read like a recording of rambling conversations in an old people's home, or something that that drunk old barrister in the Fast Show would come out with? Even the facts are wrong: Luton have not won the FA Cup, the nearest being when they lost to Forest in 1959 when Roy Dwight broke his leg. They have won the League Cup (beating Arsenal in 1988) and then lost to Forest in the 1989 Final, but so what? The times when these two clubs were in the top half of the top division are many years behind. Nathan Jones seems to have brought an improvement to Luton, who, like Barnsley, have used their narrow escape from relegation last year to push on and perform much better. I still think that Forest will have too much for them though.
That's a bit harsh, probably true, but harsh. When you get to our age you'll probably get some of the facts wrong, but surely it's one of the few positive things that getting old brings (apart from not having to get up to go to work any more) bringing back those good old memories. Please be assured when you get to a similar time of life you WILL be the same even if you don't think you will at the moment, so don't knock it.

Just for the benefit of the under sixties ........... (though I'm not too sure on this one!)

Que sera sera , put the champagne on ice
We're going to Wembley twice,
Que sera sera.

I believe one season we had to change it to Going to Wembley thrice , but not sure about that ?
Yes, that chant was right. The revision to thrice might have been 1989 that it was thrice: League Cup final v Luton, Simod Cup final v Everton, but would have been invalidated when Forest went out of the FA Cup in the semi- final (replayed after the awfulness of Hillsborough).

Won 3, drawn 2, lost 1. I think we're getting just that little bit of luck at the moment which can mean a lot. I used to think that Luton were not much of a club, small ground, small crowds, and only a few years ago in the Conference. And then I remembered that they'd once won the F.A. Cup and then were playing the great Nottingham Forest in another F.A. Cup Final to which I was lucky enough to have a ticket. On reflection that was probably the only high spot I've ever had with the Reds. Currently they sit 1 point above us in the table, so much for the little club syndrome. I was in Australia for all of the Clough years working long hours on my own business and I doubt whether those years will ever be repeated. At that time I'd never heard of Vital Forest, or 606, or anything else that would have kept me informed.
And now Luton sit 1 point above us, they can't be that bad otherwise I'd feel fairly sure of the points, now I'm beginning to sweat a bit. If we can't pick up 3 points today then we're in trouble.

I've never been to Luton and have no more knowledge than I've shown on here so over to you fellows with all the knowhow.
ORF, not so sure about the luck. With luck we'd have had 6 points from Swans and Sheep. We were better than both on the day. For this one, Luton are a much improved team this season but slipping a little lately (lost 4, drawn 1) while we are improving (won 2, drawn 2, lost 1). Could be a good game and a chance for 3 points if we keep on with recent form.

Must admit I am just enjoying the fact that we are able to talk about beating teams and being unlucky not to win games. Feels like a far cry from the start of the season when we were just wondering how badly we were going to be beaten by mediocre opposition.

That's a bit harsh, probably true, but harsh. When you get to our age you'll probably get some of the facts wrong, but surely it's one of the few positive things that getting old brings (apart from not having to get up to go to work any more) bringing back those good old memories. Please be assured when you get to a similar time of life you WILL be the same even if you don't think you will at the moment, so don't knock it.

Don't talk rubbish. I can remember as clearly as anything when we got that third star under FA-H !

If we win tight we will be on 46 points, the average for staying up in championship. This year it may require 45+ goal difference. Finishing tonight on 46 points and if games go our way we could also be in single digits of 6th spot. Will we be looking up or down?

If we win tight we will be on 46 points, the average for staying up in championship. This year it may require 45+ goal difference. Finishing tonight on 46 points and if games go our way we could also be in single digits of 6th spot. Will we be looking up or down?
Think you're getting ahead of yourself there Polly. We're only on 40 pts at the moment. Love the positivity though.

He showed absolutely zero, nothing against Derby. He was ineffective and woeful

I actually thought that was an improvement from being a total passenger. If he plays and is poor that will be another step up imo.

There is a player there but will we see him

That Adebayo chap Luton signed recently looks a find chaps.Could be a tricky encounter tonight.

Why does this thread just read like a recording of rambling conversations in an old people's home, or something that that drunk old barrister in the Fast Show would come out with? Even the facts are wrong: Luton have not won the FA Cup, the nearest being when they lost to Forest in 1959 when Roy Dwight broke his leg. They have won the League Cup (beating Arsenal in 1988) and then lost to Forest in the 1989 Final, but so what? The times when these two clubs were in the top half of the top division are many years behind. Nathan Jones seems to have brought an improvement to Luton, who, like Barnsley, have used their narrow escape from relegation last year to push on and perform much better. I still think that Forest will have too much for them though.
You seem very angry Chandos. However, ORF does need reprimanding for not mentioning P.O.N.