Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 43 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

A quick look at bookmaker odds suggests the following ...

• A top 6 finish is rated as being between a 88.89-92.31% chance depending on your bookmaker.
  • Promotion (in any form) is rated as being between a 52.38-57.89% chance depending on your bookmaker.
  • A top 2 finish is rated as being between a 42.11-44.44% chance depending on your bookmaker.
  • Winning the title is rated as being between a 20-25% chance depending on your bookmaker.
And the chance of the Mighty Mariners to be relegated from League 2 is about 80%....so where would we rather be?

A neutral would have enjoyed that game. For long periods we played well and did remarkably well to battle into a lead only to change the tempo of the game near the end and hand the initiative to Plymouth who took the opportunity very well. It was just a shame that we squandered so many good chances when the score was 2-3. Scully played very well but is wasted out on the right wing when he is the best we have in the six yard box. I hope the injury to Jorge doesn't add to the long list of unavailable players. On to the next game and hopefully some better fortune.

The club is probably in a better shape on and off the field then its ever been. Lets not be harsh on Managers tactics etc hes far better then any of us. We will prosper under him i honestly think there is much more to come. If we hadnt had such a good year. Yesterday game comments would have been nowhere near as harsh. Mistakes yes can we learn?most definately. Look at where we are top 2 in a league with some very big clubs. It shows what can be done with the right people and them right people include us the fans. Really embrace what we have as i think this is only the start. On the subject of small squad i dont think it bothers Ma too much as he also has eye for detail on the young lads coming through. It allows him to watch all not just a few

That league table just looks so good. Yes I know it could have looked better but it still looks so good. Seeing 30 matches played and only 16 to go makes it look all the better.

We'd have been back at 2 points per game if we'd seen the match out for the last 15 mins. Now as a minimum our next chance to get there is after another 270 mins at football - maybe we won't get back there. Who knows.

The table still looks great though.

Wrong! If we go up, we add to the promising young squad and continue to develop our talented young players. We box clever and use the Championship money wisely. If we do go up and then get relegated, we go again.

That's how football works if you do it correctly, especially at a small club like LCFC with a plan and a vision.
Absolutely this. You can bet MA, JG & the back room team already have plans in place for next season, for all scenarios, and possibly tentative ones for the following season. That is how they seem to operate and probably why MA has signed his contract extension. 👏👏

Just love the passion on here, but not the pointless vilification between posters.
As I just said to one of the other posters in a PM, the problem is that we are ahead of where we were expected to be and the team has been playing some sublime football this season. Unfortunately that sets the bar in many people’s minds and they think we should be playing every game like that, regardless of injuries to key, experienced, players, the inexperience of some players, workload, heavy pitches which probably don’t suit our game (which showed yesterday on Argyle’s pitch when we started to play really well again). All in all, it’s probably best to reserve comment until the next day when you can put things in perspective, which you don’t in “the heat of battle”.
On the downside, we are vulnerable at the moment for several reasons. If we drop out of the top two, so be it. On the upside we will probably have our experienced players back fit and raring to go in time for the run-in which should bode well for the last few games. If other top teams start to get injuries in the run-in then who knows what will happen. Lots of ups and downs yet - keep the faith Imps everywhere🤞🤞

Well a lot of angst and bickering on here.
In amongst the doom and gloom
McGrandles scored one of our best goals of the season I reckon.
We have broken the penalty hoodoo ( I note Hull had 2 pens and Peterborough 1 (which Quest thought wasn’t)) so a pattern here).
Quest said was game of the day and a draw would have been a fair result, and praised Plymouth keeper for his performance, I don’t think Palmer will be receiving any plaudits though.
The middle 60-70 minutes was probably our best play for a few weeks but you can’t concede 4 goals in bad 20 minutes and expect to get anything out of a game.

Gutted for Jorge, hooefully he's just rolled it and there's no significant damage, sometimes those type of ankle injuries look terrible but the damage isn't always severe. Fingers crossed.

Undoubtedly we'll miss him, however it may force MA to reshuffle the midfield to have 2 more defensively minded players in there behind one of Johnson, Scully or Rodgers in the 10. Personally I think we've looked a bit too open in the middle of the park recently resulting in the opposition being able to run at the back 4 and create opportunities. This might trigger a rethink.

Wow, just reading this match thread is both hilarious and depressing.
Reality check needed but believe it or not we are in a pretty good position. We actually played very well but Plymouth got the breaks and got a pretty undeserved win. Armchair fans are so quick to comment, judge and blame players, management or the referee and look at every aspect from just our side. Blaming MApp for not going defensive and closing the game out, the same posters for saying we sit back and invite pressure. We could easily have won that game 4 or 5 If our attacking outlook had resulted in Hopper and Johnson not missing great chances late on.
Forget injuries and excuses like fatigue it’s momentum and confidence that is vital in football and at the moment we are going through a tough patch that every team endure every season Where every thing appears to go against you. It’s nothing new, we simply weather it and play through it though it may take a few more games yet.
We will be in the mix come May, keep the faith!

Blaming MApp for not going defensive and closing the game out, the same posters for saying we sit back and invite pressure. We could easily have won that game 4 or 5

There seemed to come a point around the 70th minute where either we stopped going forward or Plymouth were able to exert more pressure. Either way, when they scored the equaliser it wasn't a surprise as we'd already had a warning.

I am enjoying the season very much and I enjoyed that game despite the result (more so than on Tuesday which was a match of little quality but riddled with mistakes), but what I can't understand is, if it was deliberate or not, why changes were not made when it was obvious Plymouth had more possession?

I'm not generally in favour of any negative substitutions but I don't think either pushing Edun into midfield or taking off one of our forward players for Jones or Sanders would have affected our ability to counter attack.

And surely this tiredness motif can be put to bed now, so to speak. If there is fatigue why would pretty much the same players be used from the start again, and the only substitution be an enforced one 4 minutes from time?

A very depressing result. Especially letting two early goals in and two late ones.
Unfortunately it shows how much we missed the experience of Bridcutt and Walsh.
Map has done a brilliant job with limited resources and in difficult times to put together a very young squad with a blend of experience. The experienced players are needed to keep the younger players calm and to give leadership. Games like yesterday show how unfortunate it is to have two of those players out at the same time.
However we still sit second in the league which is way beyond anything most of us expected. All of us need to stay positive and keep backing the players and Map so we can weather this storm . At least with the injuries happening now we may have a full squad available for the all important run in.

Fresh legs for Plymouth?
Most annoying thing for me is working with Peterborough's number 1 fan who told me on Friday they'd be 4 points clear by 5pm!
Really changed his tune since they started winning, wanted the season called off not so long ago, twat!

This stage of the season it’s not about performances it’s about results.

It doesn’t matter how well you play if you lose.

We are having a good season but I just wish the in game tactics would improve.

On any day we are as good as anyone. I just think our lack of plan B is costing us.

Also if players are tired you don’t do things that increase the chance of error.

I am not being a doom merchant or any of the accusations levelled at people who are questioning. As I said above the world would be very boring if it was only filled with yes men!