Coronavirus vaccine | Page 64 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

Which would make you think those communities would be bang up for a vaccination instead of the mistrust that seems to be flying around. It's a difficult job for the government/NHS to talk these people round and I really don't see what else they can do that hasn't already been done.
The short film they showed on tv the other night, with high profile celebs from BAME backgrounds promoting the jab, was very good but all I keep hearing on tv is that "not enough is being done". I'm at a loss personally as to how they can be convinced.

we are told that in each vaccination group so far the uptake is around 95%. On the other had we are told that some groups are not taking it up in large numbers. Is this stats telling people what they dont want to hear?

if we are at 95% then why are we caring about the rest so much or is it because we can whip up a story in the media - anything anti or pro poor bame is good for them.

the complaint was bame were being discriminated against by the virus etc and now its bame don't want equality stories on the vaccinations.

If a very very small number of people dont want the equally offered free vaccination (thats what social equality is) then so what? We are over the expected uptake and what happened to herd immunity etc lol.

I've a pal in Norfolk. He's 68 and lives alone. He's getting a bit down that everyone and his uncle that he knows (admittedly not many people and all around his age) seems to have had at least one shot. He reads the websites and understands that he is waiting to be told and not to contact his surgery. It's a bit unnerving. From far away here in the US, 68 and still nothing set up seems a bit worrying. I am very happy to be told that he is still well within the parameters of the roll out over there. Any advice, comments or, indeed, opinions, welcome. Thanks.

I've a pal in Norfolk. He's 68 and lives alone. He's getting a bit down that everyone and his uncle that he knows (admittedly not many people and all around his age) seems to have had at least one shot. He reads the websites and understands that he is waiting to be told and not to contact his surgery. It's a bit unnerving. From far away here in the US, 68 and still nothing set up seems a bit worrying. I am very happy to be told that he is still well within the parameters of the roll out over there. Any advice, comments or, indeed, opinions, welcome. Thanks.
He should indeed have heard by now and have received contact from the NHS about his appointment. Not sure if there is a backlog in Norfolk or a substantial number of over 65s/70s in his his particular area but as far as I am aware, nationally every area is on track without any major backlogs. In Medway we have started booking the 60 to 64 year olds appointments and it is going as smoothly as possible. It is now possible to book both the first jab and the subsequent follow up jab. Get all the gimmers done and let the mad free for all commence.

His group will be coming forward for vaccination in the coming days and weeks so he should hear fairly shortly, they have just started the late sixties group so tell him not to panic, he should get a letter or call soon.

Tell your pal to call 119.
Easy as that !

Inmates in England`s prisons have been concerned about the delay in getting themselves vaccinated. But, they should worry no longer, it seems......

As, according to The Times (today) , teachers, police and other key workers should not get priority for Covid jabs but prisoners can be vaccinated en masse, the government’s advisory body has concluded.

The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) handed final recommendations to ministers on Sunday advising that under-50s be vaccinated by age rather than occupation, and that people from ethnic minorities should not get priority, The Times understands.

Good news for the prisoners, especially those who must have been worrying about their coughs and spits. There are plenty of criminals in jail for coughing or spitting at police officers - threatening to infect them with Covid-19. So, quite understandable that inmates, some with bad coughs, should get a vaccine for the virus before the police officers they attacked.

Wonder whether HMG have made some exceptions; as in, insisted that their personal protection (police) officers have received the vaccine ?

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2021/02/...thirds-of-65-69-year-olds-already-vaccinated/

we are told that in each vaccination group so far the uptake is around 95%. On the other had we are told that some groups are not taking it up in large numbers. Is this stats telling people what they dont want to hear?

if we are at 95% then why are we caring about the rest so much or is it because we can whip up a story in the media - anything anti or pro poor bame is good for them.

the complaint was bame were being discriminated against by the virus etc and now its bame don't want equality stories on the vaccinations.

If a very very small number of people dont want the equally offered free vaccination (thats what social equality is) then so what? We are over the expected uptake and what happened to herd immunity etc lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-55274833

This is from BBC a few days ago. It says what has been said all along - the vaccine uptake is highest amongst whites, lower among Asians, and lowest amongst blacks. It may be that not enough BAME will get vaccinated for there to be herd immunity in cities

He should indeed have heard by now and have received contact from the NHS about his appointment. Not sure if there is a backlog in Norfolk or a substantial number of over 65s/70s in his his particular area but as far as I am aware, nationally every area is on track without any major backlogs. In Medway we have started booking the 60 to 64 year olds appointments and it is going as smoothly as possible. It is now possible to book both the first jab and the subsequent follow up jab. Get all the gimmers done and let the mad free for all commence.

Thanks Kate

This is from BBC a few days ago. It says what has been said all along - the vaccine uptake is highest amongst whites, lower among Asians, and lowest amongst blacks. It may be that not enough BAME will get vaccinated for there to be herd immunity in cities

yet we are at 95%!!!!!

my family and friends are in these categories and i dont see the same reported reluctance.
also why do we worry about it as we may get the same issues as we try to vaccinate younger non at risk whities lol.
offer to all - thats all we can do.

I see plenty of informed advice already jokerman. I have 2 sisters in Norfolk 70 & 85 both been vaccinated some time ago and reporting that most over 65s they know done or booked. Probably worth a call as others have said.

also why do we worry about it as we may get the same issues as we try to vaccinate younger non at risk whities lol. offer to all - thats all we can do.

That would be worrying, also, Jerry.
Though not so much for those who dismiss the Virus, and it`s potential dangerous mutations, I suppose. Which is also worrying.

In my book, there are just two divisions or characteristic in this issue a) those who take the vaccination and b) those who refuse the vaccination. All those in category "b" are a concern and it`s more than reasonable to be worried about it.

That would be worrying, also, Jerry.
Though not so much for those who dismiss the Virus, and it`s potential dangerous mutations, I suppose. Which is also worrying.

In my book, there are just two divisions or characteristic in this issue a) those who take the vaccination and b) those who refuse the vaccination. All those in category "b" are a concern and it`s more than reasonable to be worried about it.

Agreed, also reasonable to be worried about the numbers that turn up for a second jab.
my point is more that we keep purposely digging into the race side of who takes a jab. Its a diversion.

more worrying are the stats for carehome staff and nhs staff not taking vaccines. This is an area where something can be done asap the same as current nhs vaccination requirements for staff.

the other area that needs sorting is where all front line workers should be vaccinated asap.

Last edited:
Age is the prime risk for covid so the vaccines are going to the eldest / pre-existing conditions first.
Front line workers that are older/at risk will get picked up that way.

Unless you believe that all black people are evangelical christians, who believe in god rather than medicine, your earlier suggestion wobbles. Those figures from the BBC do not give an idea of why the take up varies so much and researchers, who have asked more detailed questions, have discovered reluctance rather than opposition. I would guess that alongside all other considerations that our records for these groups are less good. Less settled domiciles, lower registration with GPs etc. It will be interesting to see the figures once local health professionals and local administrators have done their thing.

Unless you believe that all black people are evangelical christians, who believe in god rather than medicine, your earlier suggestion wobbles. Those figures from the BBC do not give an idea of why the take up varies so much and researchers, who have asked more detailed questions, have discovered reluctance rather than opposition. I would guess that alongside all other considerations that our records for these groups are less good. Less settled domiciles, lower registration with GPs etc. It will be interesting to see the figures once local health professionals and local administrators have done their thing.

I know for certain that members of bame family and friends are not registered as any group or race and did not give it when asked at vaccination station.

agree reluctance does not equal refusal. both i and my wife were reluctant but both had the jab.

what is the number of women v men reluctant or taking up jabs? How many lgbt+qtbsnsbjatjetc etc lol.

Age is the prime risk for covid so the vaccines are going to the eldest / pre-existing conditions first.
Front line workers that are older/at risk will get picked up that way.
Totally get that but, send a PC in my position (55 year old asthmatic) into a house to break up a party of 50 or more people and that officer has a high chance of getting covid. He/she may or may not die but would probably at least be very sick (as a couple of my asthmatic colleagues have been).
That age group and that health condition are not seen as clinically vulnerable so have not been jabbed and are not allowed to shield. You wouldn't expect a nurse to carry on working in a covid ward under those circumstances but it seems to be OK for police officers to take similar risk
From a personal point of view I am quite lucky that I don't have much close contact with the public in that way but hundreds do.

Totally get that but, send a PC in my position (55 year old asthmatic) into a house to break up a party of 50 or more people and that officer has a high chance of getting covid. He/she may or may not die but would probably at least be very sick (as a couple of my asthmatic colleagues have been).
That age group and that health condition are not seen as clinically vulnerable so have not been jabbed and are not allowed to shield. You wouldn't expect a nurse to carry on working in a covid ward under those circumstances but it seems to be OK for police officers to take similar risk
From a personal point of view I am quite lucky that I don't have much close contact with the public in that way but hundreds do.

Its also the fact that we rely on front line workers and they are in short supply. As they face the danger constantly they will obviously have to stay off work more to isolate and therefore even less staff to run already stretched under resources services.