A-Z Of Food You Could Live Without | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Food You Could Live Without

I agree with Digger, it's awful! I'd never had it until my lad moved up North and I don't think I'll be having it again!
Yes, it definitely seems to be a Geordie/Mackem thing.
On the subject of regional foods - have you (or others on here) had or heard of a Chicken Parmesan (mainly sold in take-aways/pizza shops)?
Started as a Teesside thing but seems to be expanding into North Yorkshire/County Durham.
Quite nice - Chicken fillet in breadcrumbs with cheese on top and various toppings - i used to have it with mushrooms and Garlic butter.
Not particularly healthy though.

R- Rhubarb
Used to like it dipped in sugar as a child - couldnt do it now!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops out of sync again!

Never heard of Chicken Parmesan, digger but sounds good - I love anything cheesey!

I too used to have a stick of rhubarb out of my Grandad’s allotment. I can see my Grandma now cutting diagonally one of the small white paper sweetie bags to put the sugar in.

S - Spicey food, not for me!

Quite like rhubarb , stewed, in pies/tarts, and have also even drunk rhubarb-flavoured beer. Easy to grow it (in Brinsworth) and didn't need much looking after.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
S Swede - will eat a bit, if served it, but don't usually buy it, not even from the supermarket bargain bins
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

T Turnip - same as for swedes. Swedes are Swedish turnips, ordinary turnips tend to be white and smaller than swedes . Similar taste though.

Last edited:
Yes, it definitely seems to be a Geordie/Mackem thing.
On the subject of regional foods - have you (or others on here) had or heard of a Chicken Parmesan (mainly sold in take-aways/pizza shops)?
Started as a Teesside thing but seems to be expanding into North Yorkshire/County Durham.
Quite nice - Chicken fillet in breadcrumbs with cheese on top and various toppings - i used to have it with mushrooms and Garlic butter.
Not particularly healthy though.

No, Digger not heard of that one!

Swede and Turnip not for me though, like Mike, if I'm served it I will have a nibble but tend to push it round my plate!

U Undercooked vegetables - sorry, I'm one of those people who like my veggies cooked. When (though seems like a long time now!) I went to the Brecks for one of their steaks and it came with peas I asked them to put mine in the water for twice as long! They kindly did! Usually I have salads when I go out.

V Vegemite - Australian version of marmite, which I have literally lived without because I have never seen it on sale in Britain/Europe, and I have never been to Australia! Presumably it gets the same "love it/hate it" response as marmite, from the Aussies.
Mentioned in a song by Aussie pop group "Men at Work".

Last edited:
The Teesside Chicken Parmo — ANTHONYSHOCK

Have to admit, i take issue with a couple of 'terms' in that article.
I object to Teesside being referred to as 'Smoggy' - it isn't !!!!
Also, it's a Chicken Parmesan (even though it normally has Cheddar cheese), and NOT a Chicken PARMO (That grinds on me).

On the subject of 'undercooked' , i cant eat meat if i see any pink bits .
I'd rather have it 'burnt' than risked eating raw meat

Mike - I love marmite and bovril and have tried vegemite on holiday somewhere and it was horrible!

Digger - I used to have all my mean well cooked but over the years I have found I prefer it pink - except chicken of course which I do tend to overcook.

W Wontons - I love most chinesey things but to me this just tastes like wet pastry

Rhubarb gin is very nice!!

Love swede mashed with salt, pepper and butter but don’t like turnips - as a child (apparently) I used to say they tasted like cigarette ash - not that I have ever eaten it!

Vegemite is definitely on sale in supermarkets here - I don’t like it. Really like Marmite though - not overly keen as a drink but love it on bread and butter and I use it to flavour lots of things.

X - Xigua - a type of watermelon - so Gordon says!

Don’t know if I like it or not as I don’t think I have ever eaten it. I think watermelon is very refreshing though.

I think an xigua is just a watermelon with yellow flesh - if it is then I have had it on holiday and it tastes like the usual watermelon. If it's not then I have no idea if I've had it or not!!

Y Yoghurt with bits in - I like flavoured yoghurt and I like those that have the fruit at the side but I don't like big bits in my yoghurt!