Could Japhet Tanganga become Spurs Declan Rice? | Vital Football

Could Japhet Tanganga become Spurs Declan Rice?

SheringhamNo10

Vital Squad Member
I’ve been thinking of the progress of Tanganga recently and wondered where he fits in the team moving forward.

A centre back by trade, Jose has played him at right back or on the right of a back three.

I’m not so sure that he will get game time at centre back anytime soon, although he has put in some very good performances at right back they have been in a defensive capacity rather than an attacking one. My opinion is that either Aarons or Lamptey or preferably both should be recruited to rotate in the right back role. Along with Reguilon and Sessegnon rotating at left back, that would give us four young, exciting, attacking fullbacks.

I wonder then if Tanganga might prove useful in a defensive midfield role a-la Declan Rice who also played youth football at centre back.

Japhet is decent on the ball, he doesn’t rush into tackles, he’s a strong boy, who holds his own and I think he could do a job protecting the back four as a back up for Hojbjerg next season. A bit like when Ledley played there earlier on in his career.

I’ve been thinking of the progress of Tanganga recently and wondered where he fits in the team moving forward.

A centre back by trade, Jose has played him at right back or on the right of a back three.

I’m not so sure that he will get game time at centre back anytime soon, although he has put in some very good performances at right back they have been in a defensive capacity rather than an attacking one. My opinion is that either Aarons or Lamptey or preferably both should be recruited to rotate in the right back role. Along with Reguilon and Sessegnon rotating at left back, that would give us four young, exciting, attacking fullbacks.

I wonder then if Tanganga might prove useful in a defensive midfield role a-la Declan Rice who also played youth football at centre back.

Japhet is decent on the ball, he doesn’t rush into tackles, he’s a strong boy, who holds his own and I think he could do a job protecting the back four as a back up for Hojbjerg next season. A bit like when Ledley played there earlier on in his career.

Or is it the case that what Japhet needs the most is a season-long loan?

I do see where you're coming from though. What Japhet can't afford to be is another KWP, always ticking that homegrown box and never getting a fair chance. It's even worse for Japhet as he's tagged with that "utility player" tag.

It's an interesting thought, I'm just not sure that he's suited to covering the amount of ground in a game that Rice as an example manages. For me we should be moving on from the days of Alderweireld, must consider Dier as the utility player that he is, and focus on building our CB formation around Tanganga, Sanchez and Rodon. One of them may fall by the wayside or not prove good enough along the way, but I'm sure that there is a very good future centre back pairing amongst the three of them.

Jose recently said Japhet is a Full Back, not a CB, but can cover there.
At least 3 clubs came calling for him for loans, Celtic, Southampton and WBA apparently. Jose blocked it.
Japhet has had injury issues so I'm not sure he could do a Skipp and play in every game for a loan club.
But as a FB and not a WB his chances with us are going to be limited.

I don't rate Rice at all. I see another Dier in him.

Tangy reminds me of Palacios. They have a similar frame, movement.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the lad.

That’s a great comparison to be fair RD.

Reference Rice though, I’ll have to disagree. He has much more in his locker than Dier. I rate him highly and think he will only get better over the next few years.

Japhet could easily become like Nathan Ake. On the short side for centre half but has that class about him and ability to play multiple roles.

I felt with Ake that he was in his element at Bournemouth, but may struggle at Man City. His best bet is to focus on the left-back role or even holding midfield. Not sure he'll displace the 3 main centre halves.