Hugo's Howlers | Page 27 | Vital Football

Hugo's Howlers

Hugo doesn't play well when his backline keeps changing. That has been proven on several occasions. He was at his best with Jan and Toby in front of him because he trusted them. He has great periods without those two but how can you be consistent when the whole team in front of him doesn't seem to give a naff?

I agree wholeheartedly. Til the last few games I thought he'd been very very solid since the restart. He's far from flawless and I accept there are better out there, but I'm hoping with a settled backline he gets back to this early season form when he was looking like one of the best in the league again.

He could fail to save the next 10 pens he faced and it wouldn't change my opinion of him, as long as he wasn't the one that gave them away.

Are there any quick win areas where Hugo could improve.
Playing out from the back ( a Poch idea ) was a disaster and Hugo tends to go long now. But it mostly concedes possession. Is there any options on distribution ? Taking off a touch of distance maybe or keeping the kicks out wide.
His propensity to fall backwards may be a technique to make himself bigger on lowish shots but it doesn't seem to work. Invariably the goals from close range involve Hugo on his back. I dont know the answer but a new approach might stop a few. If I'm a striker close in I pretty much know what Hugo is going to do.
He let one goal in flapping at a long range shot with both feet off the floor in readiness for an over dramatic save....trouble is his flap sent the ball into the net. He tipped one over the bar against Spam and ended up on his arse, if I jump in the air I naturally look to land on my feet. If he tips it onto the bar and it goes up in the air, he could be on his arse while the strikers follow in.

Any other potential Help Hugo tips ?