Coronavirus vaccine | Page 60 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

Nothing to do with nationality but the cynic in me hears that vaccines normally take up to a decade to discover and perfect. Yet we have Pfizer, Oxford, Moderna, Johnson, Sputnik, etc, etc , ALL bucking that trend and producing separate vaccines at about the same time without any indication that they pooled their knowledge or co-operated with each other !!

Does nobody else find that at least a little bit hard to believe, as a coincidence or not?

I read somewhere that Covid 19 is similar to other corona/flu viruses, so the basic research had already been done. The boffins have been working on this one since the start of 2020 so the apparent quick results are not so surprising, University scientists exchange data all the time, so the almost simultaneous production is not that unusual. Governments may have been slow off the mark but scientists saw this coming.

Not sure what the answer is long term as the vaccines can not be given to under 16s. I suppose if everyone else gets vaccinated, the cases will drop to a much more manageable level and hopefully more treatments, on top of the vaccines, will be developed.

Not yet, they can't, but I read the other day that vaccine trials on children are now underway, presumably it won't be long until they can also be vaccinated.

Some people seem to be horrified by the thought of schools going back, but if it's well-managed, there's no reason why it necessarily has to be a problem. Schools here have been open since September, my childrens' school sent out a letter last week with their statistics since September. For a school with around 1850 pupils and staff, with 77 classes (it goes right the way through from nursery to 6th form):

Positive cases reported: 44
Positive cases with contacts at school, leading to other students having to self-isolate: 19
Whole classes closed due to a positive case within the class: 8
Totel students having to isolate since September: 199

They seem to have things reasonably under control. 44 positive cases out of 1850 (under 2.5%) certainly doesn't seem to suggest any super-spreading. If anyone at the school tests positive, they decide on a case-by-case basis whether there's been sufficient contact with the rest of the class to isolate the entire class, or just isolate those who've been in closest contact with the positive case. In my eldest's class (in secondary school) there haven't been any cases. In my youngest's class (juniors) there have been 2. One was the teacher, the teacher was off for 2 weeks but the class continued as normal with a substitute. The other case was someone from my son's group of close friends, in that case my son and a couple of others had to self-isolate as a precaution for 10 days (none of them tested positive).

The speed at which it has all been accomplished is truly impressive. It might be a bit rough and ready and there may be unpleasant surprises down the line, but governments and health policy are playing percentages. How many die, get sick and at what cost without vaccines versus with vaccines. Some people will get sick and worse as a direct result of getting the vaccines, but them's the breaks.

I read somewhere that Covid 19 is similar to other corona/flu viruses, so the basic research had already been done.

That's my understanding of it - the building blocks already existed, they just needed to find the correct information to put in.

You can't compare the time taken with other vaccinations - this had all the top companies working on it, as the highest priority.

That said, I'm not getting vaccinated yet

Nothing to do with nationality but the cynic in me hears that vaccines normally take up to a decade to discover and perfect. Yet we have Pfizer, Oxford, Moderna, Johnson, Sputnik, etc, etc , ALL bucking that trend and producing separate vaccines at about the same time without any indication that they pooled their knowledge or co-operated with each other !!

Does nobody else find that at least a little bit hard to believe, as a coincidence or not?
Not at all, these vaccines are very similar to the one that was started for SARS over 18 years ago so the groundwork was done. These have come on quicker because so much funding was made available and so many more people came forward to take part in trials. Jonathan Van Tam has stated that these are actually the most tested, so probably safest, vaccines in history.

Anyway, has no one spotted the obvious?
"All restrictions lifted by June 21st".

Perfect timing for sitting with your mates in a pub beer garden watching England win the Euros.

Football's coming home (but only after having a negative test before entering the UK and then spending 10 days in quarantine before providing another negative test and wearing a mask at all times)

Not at all, these vaccines are very similar to the one that was started for SARS over 18 years ago so the groundwork was done. These have come on quicker because so much funding was made available and so many more people came forward to take part in trials. Jonathan Van Tam has stated that these are actually the most tested, so probably safest, vaccines in history.

Exactly - it's amazing what can be achieved when basically every stakeholder on the planet is directly interested in the outcome.

My wife works in the pharma sector (nothing that would ever be able to be vaccinated against sadly), and the main issues with a vaccine are basically getting funding and volunteers for clinical trials. The standard turnaround is 4ish years, but when you basically have a planet's worth of volunteers and funding available.... well here we are.

IMO the question should be flipped - given this was done so quickly, why do others have to take so much longer...

Seems to have been an awful lot of dates mentioned when it was supposed to be data not dates being followed.

What's the point of mentioning dates if it's all going to be moved if things go wrong. Utter codpiece, making a rod for his own back.

IMO the question should be flipped - given this was done so quickly, why do others have to take so much longer...

I think you covered it in your post. Given unlimited funding, resources and a clear direction that this is priority number one the human race is very good at solving problems.

What is the saying adversity is the mother of invention or something like that.

There are a multitude of other illness / world problems that needs to be cured but they are all competing for funding and resources.

Seems to have been an awful lot of dates mentioned when it was supposed to be data not dates being followed.

What's the point of mentioning dates if it's all going to be moved if things go wrong. Utter codpiece, making a rod for his own back.
"What's the point of mentioning dates"

Because its all he ever gets asked, every day.
To be fair, he does mention, in every step, that this is the earliest it can happen. There are also four conditions that must be met for each step to happen and this has also been explained.

Apparently numbers of Germans have tried to swerve the Oxford/Astrazeneca in order to get an alternative.

That is because after the spat between AZ and Ursula von der Leyen over her demands that vaccines made in the UK should be given to the EU and AZ telling her to buggar off, some of the MEPs (especially the German ones) then turned around and said "Well, we never wanted your silly vaccine anyway :nerner: Ner, ner, ner ner-der"

Phase one of road map revealed and looks nice and measured.
No doubt the government will come under attack in the morning from some for not lifting enough restrictions.

http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-as-pm-plots-course-to-ease-lockdown-12225278
Totally agree. Sensible and measured.
What's happened to Johnson? No longer this boosterism hype and shite but careful planning based on actual facts. He seems to have realised that his verbal bullshit doesn't work on a virus and is finally relying on science and data.

Totally agree. Sensible and measured.
What's happened to Johnson? No longer this boosterism hype and shite but careful planning based on actual facts. He seems to have realised that his verbal bullshit doesn't work on a virus and is finally relying on science and data.

All I know is that whenever I shape up and start making sense, the better half has had a quiet word with me beforehand.

All I know is that whenever I shape up and start making sense, the better half has had a quiet word with me beforehand.
I reckon it must be the likes of Allegra Stratton, his new media person I believe. Probs told him to stop being a complete prick and it seems to have worked (at least over this issue).

"What's the point of mentioning dates"

Because its all he ever gets asked, every day.
To be fair, he does mention, in every step, that this is the earliest it can happen. There are also four conditions that must be met for each step to happen and this has also been explained.

There is absolutely no point mentioning what is going to happen further down the line until we know what the data shows when we have approximately 7-10m people mixing for two or three weeks of when the schools go back. Only after analysing the data of that should he even think about future possible dates IMO.

By the end of March the whole scenario could have changed. Are schools going to close again as soon as there is an outbreak like before? Home schooling has been a traumatic experience for most, although I'm not sure who has suffered most, the kids, parents or teachers but they have at the forefront over the last few months and its the teachers that are now going back into the face if the fire again without being protected.