Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 37 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

Because that's how MA and the coaching team see it. If we were midtable or lower criticism might be justified, but as they've got us to the top with 18 games to go, they've earned the respect that the selection and tactical choices they make are the right ones.

As good as Roughan looked in the early games, now we're heading into the sharp end of the season, as pitches deteriorate, it's a big risk exposing a young, inexperienced player. Bramall has still to fully get on method but is looking slighly better each time and has more experience to deal with game situations.

That is a very good point Chester, IMO although Montsma looked good early on I sometimes wonder about his defending now. Much prefer Walsh & Jackson as a pairing when injuries permit.

As things stand now, we only play one top-six team in our next 14 matches, that being Sunderland on March 20th. Of the current top six, we only have Hull to come to the Bank, and we have trips to Posh in the penultimate game and that tie back on Wearside. My gut tells me by the time we do travel to Posh, the top two spots will be decided, so we really do have our fate in our hands.

Got this quote from: Still on top: Wigan Athletic 1-2 Imps | The Stacey West- Part 2 .

That is a very good point Chester, IMO although Montsma looked good early on I sometimes wonder about his defending now. Much prefer Walsh & Jackson as a pairing when injuries permit.
Sometimes worry about his positioning and got caught today a couple of times
Still an amazing and a natural footballer that is rarely found in at this level
I do wonder if he’s now focussed on the technical elements of the English game which ultimately will add significant to his all round game

Some people do really try to find the negatives in a good situation. The world is depressing enough at the moment. Why not enjoy a hard fought, slightly undeserving win?

Because it takes our minds off the current circumstances, and football goes a long way in doing that at the moment. Same as what I would do down the pub.

I think the original comment about why Bramall is ahead of Roughan was based on Bramall's defending. If he wants to make left back his own, he has to improve in that area. Its no good flying down the wing, but then later consistently let your winger get on the outside of you to cross the ball.

Its the opposite at right back. Poole I think is as good if not slightly better than TJ at defending, but is a long way from TJ going forward.

Neither look fully settled or integrated as yet, so I still think our best full back pairing is TJ and Tayo. Palmer, Montsma and Jackson all look more confortable with those two.

Next season will be a different matter though, and its next season that Bramall and Poole were really signed for (although with our injuries, signing in January has been a bonus for us).

Just seen the 2 min highlights - their goal had foul in buildup and it took a deflection. The winner was a far better goal from start to finish.

they gave hopper no credit for that - had it been an away goal at sincil bank they would have at least conveyed and acknowledged the skill

please don’t moan about bbc Lincs!

Last edited:
Sometimes worry about his positioning and got caught today a couple of times
Still an amazing and a natural footballer that is rarely found in at this level
I do wonder if he’s now focussed on the technical elements of the English game which ultimately will add significant to his all round game
The technical elements of the English game? Like the foot through the ball and the clearance into Row Z?

Thought he (Montsma) is the best centre half we’ve ever had, is better than Harry Maguire and bound for the premiership in a £5 million + deal🤔

Good result today.

Not our most fluid game (seems the pitch and wind put paid to that) and Wigan certainly pressed hard which, particularly first half, regularly prevented us from getting into our stride. 1-1 Half time was a fair score.

Thought we were better 2nd half, had more control although Wigan looked to have potential on the break but couldn't convert those opportunities.

Hopper's goal was a cracker.

Not our best performance but a long way from our worst.

3 more points when most around us were losing theirs. Dug deep today and our strength and character shone through.

Roll on Swindon.

I think the original comment about why Bramall is ahead of Roughan was based on Bramall's defending. If he wants to make left back his own, he has to improve in that area. Its no good flying down the wing, but then later consistently let your winger get on the outside of you to cross the ball.

Its the opposite at right back. Poole I think is as good if not slightly better than TJ at defending, but is a long way from TJ going forward.

Neither look fully settled or integrated as yet, so I still think our best full back pairing is TJ and Tayo. Palmer, Montsma and Jackson all look more confortable with those two.

Next season will be a different matter though, and its next season that Bramall and Poole were really signed for (although with our injuries, signing in January has been a bonus for us).

I agree that Bramhall has to improve his defending (let's hope he is another Toffolo in that regard) but in mitigation there were times today when Wigan had two on ones against him and other Imps in that area of the pitch were conspicuous by their absence, so it was particularly highlighted theme.

With his natural pace and if he works on his upper body strength he should be able to recover if slightly out of position and get a tackle in or jockey and prevent more crosses being put in. If all goes well this should be one of the benefits of getting him in now rather than the Summer.