51 Points achieved, next target ... | Page 3 | Vital Football

51 Points achieved, next target ...

Now, this set of messages is titled 51 points achieved.
Yes, but:
I've just been doing a study all national divisions with a fully completed 46 game programme (this dates back to the 1950-51 season and covers what is now the Championship, FL1, FL2 and National League Premier) (also adjusted all earlier leagues to 3 points for a win, put back any points deducted, and re-ordered all tables accordingly).
From all that (177 tables in total), 50 points would on average be enough to finish above bottom four places. However, on 55 occasions 50 points was not enough, on 32 occasions 51 points was not enough, on 16 occasions 52 points was not enough, on 7 occasions 53 points was not enough, and on 1 occasion 54 points was not enough (that team was relegated in 4th spot with 55 points).

So! Conclusion is we are far from safe fron relegation at the moment !!! 🙄🙄🙄
That sounds like some serious work, will you be predicting the number of points required for 6th? Or 2nd?

Its not mystical, its more a statement of fact that a 50 point haul will ensure safety from relegation. I have not been back through the records, but has a club ever been relegated on 50 points? I know the last time the Imps were in the 3rd tier it was a high points total to avoid the drop back to the 4th tier, 49 points rings a bell. But, generally 50 points is easily sufficient to avoid demotion.
Was the post 3 up too long to read? I know I struggle with verbose postings

Was the post 3 up too long to read? I know I struggle with verbose postings

It was the 'mystical' bit I was refering too.

However, I stand by what I said 9 times out 10 - 50 points will be more than sufficient points haul to avoid the drop and I don't see this season being any different. Can you see the teams currently occupying the bottom 4 slots reaching 50 points?

It was the 'mystical' bit I was refering too.

However, I stand by what I said 9 times out 10 - 50 points will be more than sufficient points haul to avoid the drop and I don't see this season being any different. Can you see the teams currently occupying the bottom 4 slots reaching 50 points?
No. But I think you asked the question has any team been relegated with 50 points so I was pointing out the 3 or 4 examples of it happening. It’s not too much of a worry if you can get to the mark with half of the season to go as opposed to the last day of the season!

The team that wins the league is the one that drops fewest points. Points dropped can never be regained. You can only move up if teams above you drop points. In this table, games in hand are not an opportunity to catch up, but a chance of falling further behind.

The current situation after Sunday's games is as follows -

y.jpg

Last edited:
The team that wins the league is the one that drops fewest points. Points dropped can never be regained. You can only move up if teams above you drop points. In this table, games in hand are not an opportunity to catch up, but a chance of falling further behind. If Shrewsbury win two games in hand, they'll still have dropped 42 points.

Portsmouth's game in hand played tonight (Tuesday) dropped three points, Ipswich's two.

y.jpg

At the end of the season, the side that drops fewest points will win the league. Remember... points dropped are gone forever.

Updated after Wigan match (20th Feb).

At the start of the day, there were four teams within 5 points of the Imps, now there are two.

y.jpg

Now, this set of messages is titled 51 points achieved.
Yes, but:
I've just been doing a study all national divisions with a fully completed 46 game programme (this dates back to the 1950-51 season and covers what is now the Championship, FL1, FL2 and National League Premier) (also adjusted all earlier leagues to 3 points for a win, put back any points deducted, and re-ordered all tables accordingly).
From all that (177 tables in total), 50 points would on average be enough to finish above bottom four places. However, on 55 occasions 50 points was not enough, on 32 occasions 51 points was not enough, on 16 occasions 52 points was not enough, on 7 occasions 53 points was not enough, and on 1 occasion 54 points was not enough (that team was relegated in 4th spot with 55 points).

So! Conclusion is we are far from safe fron relegation at the moment !!! 🙄🙄🙄

We now have 56 points, so can we finally claim that we are now safe from relegation?