The Commentary Controversy | Page 5 | Vital Football

The Commentary Controversy

I said the other day that I nowadays often turn off 5 Live because they seem to know too much, with meaningless "statistics" at every touch and turn. Just because something can be counted, it doesn't mean there is any need to do so.
Indeed, time for all commentators to 'stand up and be counted'

Would it be difficult for the local BBC stations to have a dossier on each player to send to their opposition counterparts to add a bit of flavour?
Would only need include name and number, pronunciation, and a few titbits. E.g.:
Jorge Grant #10, pronounced George. One of City's best players who has appeared primarily out wide or in an attacking midfield spot this season but also often deputises in defensive midfield when Bridcutt is out. Recently signed a new contract when many expected him to leave for a Championship club come the end of the season. Top scorer, primarily through penalties although has missed some recently and did not take one in the shooutout with Sunderland, although probably would have taken fifth.

Would it be difficult for the local BBC stations to have a dossier on each player to send to their opposition counterparts to add a bit of flavour?
Would only need include name and number, pronunciation, and a few titbits. E.g.:
Jorge Grant #10, pronounced George. One of City's best players who has appeared primarily out wide or in an attacking midfield spot this season but also often deputises in defensive midfield when Bridcutt is out. Recently signed a new contract when many expected him to leave for a Championship club come the end of the season. Top scorer, primarily through penalties although has missed some recently and did not take one in the shooutout with Sunderland, although probably would have taken fifth.

Copy Hortin in to that, as well. ;)

Can you imagine what Radio Lincs would send
Eyoma plays right back, easily confused with Edun usually left back.....

I thought the Wigan commentary reminded me of Hortin/Thommo (more the lead commentator) in the Cowley's first year. Enthusiastic but focused on the game. Excitable when Wigan had a chance (especially the co-commentator) but overall they were great.

I wouldn't mind too much if Hortin was still like that. As it is he has become too settled, too lazy. I don't care if the home commentator is biased because that is natural. Same if we watch a European match we expect the UK commentator is going to be a little biased. It is just the laziness. an hour and a half of sighs, ahhhs, urrrs, aarghs at what is happening instead of relating to the listener what is happening.

Was a chuckle when Wigan had chances and co commentator would drown the commentator out with the loudest Ohhh with both going mental at the worldy they scored.

I thought the Wigan commentary reminded me of Hortin/Thommo (more the lead commentator) in the Cowley's first year. Enthusiastic but focused on the game. Excitable when Wigan had a chance (especially the co-commentator) but overall they were great.

I wouldn't mind too much if Hortin was still like that. As it is he has become too settled, too lazy. I don't care if the home commentator is biased because that is natural. Same if we watch a European match we expect the UK commentator is going to be a little biased. It is just the laziness. an hour and a half of sighs, ahhhs, urrrs, aarghs at what is happening instead of relating to the listener what is happening.
Was a chuckle when Wigan had chances and co commentator would drown the commentator out with the loudest Ohhh with both going mental at the worldy they scored.
Best comment was early in the second half, “We’re playing against the wind, we didn’t have this problem in the first half”.

Best comment was early in the second half, “We’re playing against the wind, we didn’t have this problem in the first half”.

He obviously hasn't been sent on the same training courses as the BBC teams.

Can't beat the old cliches:
"It's a funny old game"
"Its a game of 2 halves"

I never have a problem with the commentary feel blessed being 12000 miles away i can watch and listen. If its too bad i have a volume or mute bottom.

Co commentator was starting to irritate me too much, so I muted the last year minutes. Who was he anyway? Not anywhere near Thommo’s league