Coronavirus vaccine | Page 56 | Vital Football

Coronavirus vaccine

I am 62 but received a call today offering me the Pfizer vaccine at Harrietsham Medical Centre early Friday Morning. My other half who is 60 has been offered the same, late on Thursday afternoon.

I have no underlying health conditions of note and my partner only has an underactive thyroid, but the impression I got is that each different centre is working down an allocated list and Harrietsham seem to be ahead of schedule with theirs.

The bizarre thing is that we live in Headcorn, where the Doctors surgery (which we are registered with) is doing vaccinations and there is also one of those mass vaccination centres at Headcorn Aerodrome.

I would anticipate that a nurse or doctor will administer my jab, whereas the mass vaccination centre has mainly trained up volunteers which I would not be so confident about, so I am pretty chuffed and grateful.
Mrs Nobby has had a similar experience. Nationally we are starting over 65s this week but she's having hers tomorrow and she only turned 60 in October.
I'm guessing it depends on the number of "gimmers"* living in each area. If a certain health authority gets a certain number of doses but it's "older" residents are under represented, I'm guessing they will start on the next age group down rather than waste the vaccine. I'm hearing anecdotal evidence of quite a lot of vaccine being wasted because of lack of "take up", especially amongst the BAME community so makes sense to give it to those who do want it.

* I consider myself as bordering on gimmer so mean no offence 😁😁

It's not selfish, stupid ####s that are refusing to take the.vaccine, the biggest factor in not taking the vaccine is ethnicity.

Good to hear that the relaxations will be based on the data and not dates. Cases in medway have fallen like a rock over the last few weeks and now below 100. Every reason to expect that to be in the 20s or 30s soon.

At that point, and if the good weather arrives maybe we can open outside dining and pubs which was always much safer than inside.

Gradual, slow and with one eye on the data at all times.

We need a good (if UK) based summer to allow everyone to breath before the likely return of the virus next autumn. Although hopefully not with hospitalisation and deaths at the levels seen previously.

I think I'm in the next vaccine group, over 50s with underlying health conditions. The NHS has done a great job with the roll out. Thank god a tory donor didn't offer to run it.

When it comes to data, I watch the news most days and the deaths resulting from the virus are always state as being "within 28 days of a positive test", well are those who die 29 days and beyond not counted?
Another point will they ever publish the daily figures of those who died from corona virus although had a vaccine, because we know all vaccines are not 100%, some are going to work better than others, I have a feeling that information will not be forthcoming.

Mega respect to the volunteers being deliberately infected with Covid for valuable research on behalf of us all.

Genuine heroes.

Contrast with the selfish, stupid ####s who refuse to take the vaccine and consequently endanger society ( both physically and financially with lockdown likely being longer).

Maybe all the COVID deniers would step forwards and do it for free?

When it comes to data, I watch the news most days and the deaths resulting from the virus are always state as being "within 28 days of a positive test", well are those who die 29 days and beyond not counted?
Another point will they ever publish the daily figures of those who died from corona virus although had a vaccine, because we know all vaccines are not 100%, some are going to work better than others, I have a feeling that information will not be forthcoming.
On the other side of the coin, if you get hit by a bus on your way home from having a positive test, are you counted as "dying with COVID-19"?

When it comes to data, I watch the news most days and the deaths resulting from the virus are always state as being "within 28 days of a positive test", well are those who die 29 days and beyond not counted?.

There has to be some cut off period, 28 days must be the period when experts think that death wasn't attributed to Covid.

This has been discussed before, but a death certificate will usually have 3 or 4 contributing causes of death. Presumably it isn't possible to be 100% sure which factor actually led to the death

Mega respect to the volunteers being deliberately infected with Covid for valuable research on behalf of us all.
Genuine heroes.
Contrast with the selfish, stupid ####s who refuse to take the vaccine and consequently endanger society ( both physically and financially with lockdown likely being longer).

Absolutely, and at £4.5K each for having the nasal sprays, not to be sniffed at !

Last edited:
Good to hear that the relaxations will be based on the data and not dates. Cases in medway have fallen like a rock over the last few weeks and now below 100. Every reason to expect that to be in the 20s or 30s soon.

At that point, and if the good weather arrives maybe we can open outside dining and pubs which was always much safer than inside.

Gradual, slow and with one eye on the data at all times.

We need a good (if UK) based summer to allow everyone to breath before the likely return of the virus next autumn. Although hopefully not with hospitalisation and deaths at the levels seen previously.

I think I'm in the next vaccine group, over 50s with underlying health conditions. The NHS has done a great job with the roll out. Thank god a tory donor didn't offer to run it.
But the wife of a tory MP has been running it pro bono.

On the other side of the coin, if you get hit by a bus on your way home from having a positive test, are you counted as "dying with COVID-19"?

And this is one of the big problems I think.

Obviously many people have died and it is a terrible, terrible shame.

But “dying WITH covid” and dying OF covid” are two different things. I’m not sure the figures accurately represent that, IMO.

Exactly Nobby, I've been saying this ever since they started showing the number of deaths on the TV news. The small print under the number, is death for whatever reason after testing positive for COVID. Hopefully there won't be so many buses around as the year progresses.

Fair point Phil re the Tory mate and pro bono work. The vaccine roll out has been a success story which I've lauded from the start. My missus was pointing out to me that the woman actually had some nous and proper contacts. Beats giving a job to your local publican amongst other examples of nepotism.

Unfortunately it is a marked exception to everything else the government has/hasn't done and its "chumocracy".

It does seem that Johnson has grown a bit of a backbone in resisting the CRG nutters at last and has cut out his bullshitting.

Last edited:
Fair point Phil re the Tory mate and pro bono work. The vaccine roll out has been a success story which I've lauded from the start. My missus was pointing out to me that the woman actually had some nous and proper contacts. Beats giving a job to your local publican amongst other examples of nepotism.

Unfortunately it is a marked exception to everything else the government has/hasn't done and its "chumocracy".

It does seem that Johnson has grown a bit of a backbone in resisting the CRG nutters at last and has cut out his bullshitting.
Understood 58. Just to be clear I am no tory and am centre left but difficult to relate to Labour at the moment. My hero was Tony Benn and I really admired his euroscepticism. Voting to join the Common Market was my biggest ever mistake and seeing how it is now unravelling after Brexit brings a warm glow to my heart.

One of my daughters made me complete a questionnaire recently based on beliefs and aspirations. Apparently I should be voting Green.

Back to my original comment about the chief of vaccine roll out I just want the true facts to be expressed on anything and not shaded by political views.

Understood 58. Just to be clear I am no tory and am centre left but difficult to relate to Labour at the moment. My hero was Tony Benn and I really admired his euroscepticism. Voting to join the Common Market was my biggest ever mistake and seeing how it is now unravelling after Brexit brings a warm glow to my heart.

One of my daughters made me complete a questionnaire recently based on beliefs and aspirations. Apparently I should be voting Green.

Back to my original comment about the chief of vaccine roll out I just want the true facts to be expressed on anything and not shaded by political views.
Labour/Green coalition would be great imo and Caroline Lucas in a prominent position. I've often voted Green, particularly in London elections where thanks to PR it's worthwhile..

Death Certificates have always been a bit bizarre. My old man had terminal cancer. His death certificate stated "pneumonia". I remember asking at the time and was told technically that's what he died of.

I know why we pay so much attention to the numbers who have died but there will always be anomalies. Nobby's example is absolutely correct I believe the person hit by a bus would be counted as a COVID stat. The person who died months after (due to COVID) wouldn't.

It would be better if we standardised across the world but however you count the UK deaths they are very, very high and there must be lessons learnt.

What I took from my history lessons was that no one learnt from history.
In X years there will be another pandemic and the same mistakes will happen.

IF and its a huge IF any do indeed die, why would you want to know? what would you do with the information? How much background information would you want to put it into context?
You know the various vaccines are beginning to work and that lock downs work. what exactly would be the point of releasing that sort of information in anything other than a peer reviewed journal.