Referee Darren Drysdale | Vital Football

Referee Darren Drysdale

Football should follow rugby and cut out players' antics and dissent. I hate it.

Martin Johnson raised an eyebrow as he walked past the ref in the 2003 Rugby World Cup final when the ref had given the Aussies a dubious penalty to equalise with 3 minutes to go. No one can deny how passionate and motivated he and the team were but we were spared histrionics.

Unfortunately individual players' right to be petulant arseholes seems to be more important than the game as a whole.

Also unfortunate is that if "we" don't do it as well, we will lose out to those that do. Hence it perpetuates.

Football should follow rugby and cut out players' antics and dissent. I hate it.

Martin Johnson raised an eyebrow as he walked past the ref in the 2003 Rugby World Cup final when the ref had given the Aussies a dubious penalty to equalise with 3 minutes to go. No one can deny how passionate and motivated he and the team were but we were spared histrionics.

Unfortunately individual players' right to be petulant arseholes seems to be more important than the game as a whole.

Also unfortunate is that if "we" don't do it as well, we will lose out to those that do. Hence it perpetuates.
As opposed to the histrionics of the then Australian Prime Minister when handing over the trophy!

I watched the game in a club in Canberra and found out I was the only Englishman in the audience when that drop goal went over. I paid for it when they beat us at football 3-1 in a friendly not long afterwards. My office door remained shut all day.

Drama wins every time from goal celebtrations through dissent, pushing and shoving, fisticuffs and biting. Like it or loathe it that's what brings viewers. As to Mr Drysdale I hope he gets fair treatment, a short stand down, a course and on with his career. I have no idea why this hasn't happened before. How do they control themselves. In the old days they got to allow particularly irritating players to get a good kicking.

And the manager sticks up for his player and pushes the issue. He should be saying how disappointed he was with his own player's attitude. Maybe he did in private.

In my day, if you came home and said you got clouted at school, you'd get another clout from your parents for good measure. This last bit's not actually true, more illustrative of the point I'm trying to make.

And the manager sticks up for his player and pushes the issue. He should be saying how disappointed he was with his own player's attitude. Maybe he did in private.

C'Mon, we are talking Lambert here - and in any case, even if he did take the trouble to ask Judge, the reply would no doubt be along the lines of "I didn't say nuffink, Boss"

My own suspicion is that the ref decided to put his head in to the player's own instead of booking him or sending off, either for sarcasm or abuse.

Not professional though, as Drysdale has admitted. He got it right shortly after, sending off the other Tractor boy.

Not very professional of Mr Drysdale but i would've excused him for sticking one on that **** Lambert.

The guy is a tool, and deserves many a slap, just would have been funny for a ref to do it. To read Lamberts comments on the ref beggars belief after Lamberts carry on on the touchline over the years.

Anyone remember a few years back when if a player showed dissent the free kick was moved 10 yards closer to goal? Think it was around 2000/2001 time? I just remember a few instances when Manchester United would get a free kick 30 yards out, the opposition would argue about it and it was moved 10 yards closer to goal negated the influence David Beckham had on the kick!

Anyone remember a few years back when if a player showed dissent the free kick was moved 10 yards closer to goal? Think it was around 2000/2001 time? I just remember a few instances when Manchester United would get a free kick 30 yards out, the opposition would argue about it and it was moved 10 yards closer to goal negated the influence David Beckham had on the kick!
This was discontinued as "the rest of the world" did not understand the principle. This was FIFA's explanation.

Judge must have said something really extreme to Drysdale for that reaction let’s be honest and it wouldn’t have been as tame as “ref your a cheat”

I fully support the referee (not professional I know from his point of view) but he must have taken control of hundreds of games in his career and never reacted to a player previously so I really do wonder what was said

Replaced as Ref for this weekend's game where he was due to be in charge of Sarfends match with Bolton. Pity, seeing as the Essex boys have just signed Nile Ranger, could have been an interesting contest.

As an ex-rugbyer, I utterly agree which is why I have been calling for 10 minute sinbins in football for years. Losing a player for 10 mins may not seem much but it can, and has, turned games in the past.

100% agree - bring in a ten minute sin bin for dissent to refs and diving etc, and watch it end very quickly indeed.

It certainly wouldn't make football perfect , given the current state of the game etc, but I reckon it'd lead to large improvements.

Given rugby is a territory and contact sport, losing a player is enormous, so the refs have a great deal of power with the sin bin, and players simply HAVE to abide by it or they'll lose.

For me, that's the main reason for the lack of dissent to refs. I have no doubts that if the sin bin vanished in rugby, then it'd be just like football. Can you imagine how worse Dan Biggar would be (I'm a welsh fan btw) if he couldn't get sin binned??

I have always thought sin bins would be a good idea, like in ice hockey, but it makes me laugh when rugby players and followers try and make out that it is a better behaved sport, when certain players have been banned for things as bad as gouging. They can hardly take the moral high ground.

I would say that only Luis Suarez and his biting comes close to that !

That is not even mentioning the tales I have heard of gooly grabbing and worse in the scrums, at least at a lower level.

Never played it myself as my school did not even have rugby posts.