Evans and Raynor | Vital Football

Evans and Raynor

Rob_b100

Vital 1st Team Regular
So as the Peterborough thread draws to a natural close there are a few messages about the manager.

I just wonder what people’s thoughts are. Many feel that two years is enough, they think either he will go or Scally will thank him for his efforts and look elsewhere for next season. And will welcome the change. Some (myself included) are surprised that he even lasted this long, although Covid has probably had something to do with that. No one wants to be looking for a new job in this current climate.

Worth noting that many didn’t want him here in the first place, for various reasons. I must admit I was excited at his appointment, in fact, it was his signing that prompted me to get a season ticket again in that summer for the first time in 4 or so years. I saw him as a chance for something different, not the usual “ex player, fans favourite, appointed from within” mould that we usually go for. I have got to say as well that he does appear to have cleaned up his act from the obnoxious bugger that he was when we encountered him previously.

Now I know some point to the fact that he moans constantly about the budget, and if previous managers had the sort of funds he had they may have done better, but we just don’t know this, we can only speculate on such matters. I do wonder if the likes of pennock could’ve persuaded Dempsey that Priestfield was right for him. Or if Lovell could’ve got Graham here. I also think for the first time in many years we are an established mid table side. We will flirt a little higher for a week or two and get excited, but for the first time in many years it is February and I have no worry that we will go down.

For me I hope he stays for at least another season, thoughts???

I think this is the wrong time to be changing managers. If Scally is happy for the two to stay on, and they are happy to stay, then so am I. This season was all about surviving, and we seemed to have done that so far. I think Evans and Raynor should be given another year, as I don't think this season has been fair on them to be judged by. We need to keep the Gills ship steady, and hopefully we can see the team next season with the same management. COYG!

Completely agree with your comments although others will beg to differ.

What E&R have done here is bordering on a miracle, although I think that maybe there will be a good few questions arising from his use of the loan market (players coming and going, sometimes within weeks). Furthermore, he may be a foul-mouthed Jock on the sidelines, but when you hear him talking outside of the arena, he sounds like someone with a great deal of knowledge of the game and (dare I say it) comes over as being quite sympathetic.

Anyone who can get Lee Bowyer bleating like a spoiled brat (boohoo) is ok in my opinion and I hope they remain with us.

Scally won't get rid of them unless their wage demands are too high. It was Scally who tried to head hunt them when they were at Mansfield.

We've turned from a potential relegation candidate every season to a mid table looking upwards team. Given our size, money situation etc it's probably the best we can hope for. I'd be happy if he stayed but given his relative obsession with budgets, it wouldn't surprise me if he left. He may get a better offer elsewhere, but I doubt it would be in the Championship. Maybe an Ipswich, or even Sunderland.

He attracts a better calibre of player and it's been a while since we've had a number of players that could be sold for a decent amount of money.

The style of play is noted and not much liked and I'd wish he was a little less one eyed when doing post match press conferences, but that's all managers to a certain degree.

I didn't want him. To be fair he has proved why he will always get a job. PDPS brought him in because of his contacts, that were better than those of Ade and Steve Lovell. PDPS then backed him and despite our legendary meagre budget he has attracted a lot more good players than bench warmers. Together with Raynor they create a disciplined squad with a good work ethic and a style of play that suits the league we are in. We look comfortable enough to hold our own but will need a lot of luck to get near the play offs.
The problem now is that the budget is unlikely to suddenly grow to improve the squad further without selling assets or that forever elusive investment.
Championship football would better attract any investors and make the chairman's dream of a major new stadium complex a possibility and Evans/Raynor are probably still the most cost effective way to get there.
However there will always be other clubs like Gills who want to take a punt on someone to almost guarantees them a bit of a surge towards promotion and a feel good factor.
I imagine the chairman might want to try another season with SE and PR if we end up finishing top half of L1. Bottom half and there is probably more chance they will go elsewhere for more funds.

I say keep 'em. They can be embarrassing at times and the style of play is a bit basic, but in terms of professionalism we've had a lot worse and not much better. I like the fact we make an impact wherever we go instead of being 'soft little Gillingham'. Let's enjoy the ride and see where it takes us.

He is one of the best managers we’ve had in years. I put him up there with Pulis and Taylor (1st stint).

The experiment with a flurry of untested managers hasn’t worked.

BFSE has overachieved on a tight budget. Did you know we have the lowest resources in the whole league?
Really? Never realised, just makes what they have done even more noteworthy.:whistle:

Think they've done a decent job over the time here and IMO probably did better last year than they have so far this season, given this year we appeared to have a better quality if player than last season.

I didn't want them here, but SE has engaged fans from day one and has done his bit in the PR front. Not sure some of our poorer runs or performances would be been welcomed if crowds had been in the ground to sit through some if the toilet performances but we've also had some good ones too.

Granted he's attracted some good players and clearly has contacts within the game, I'm just not sure our recruitment, especially loans have worked as well as they could have and I don't think we're as organised as we could or should be at this stage of the season defensively, that's work that is( or isn't) done on the training ground.

Don't know if PS appointed them to try to get out of the division and perform miracles on a wafer thin budget or if he appointed them to just keep us in the division on said budget. Guess only PS knows whether they've under achieved, achieved or over achieved.

I'd be happy for them to stay but there is room for improvement from a purely tactical, coaching, set up point if view IMO. I'd like the revolving door of players to slow down a bit but understand that's what you get with SE and PR.

Given what's gone on over the last two seasons at GFC and globally I guess we should be careful what we wish for, although I'd have bet my mortgage they wouldn't have lasted this long when they were appointed, with or without crowds.

I just wish we could have the fourth or fifth lowest budget in the division, that should see us in the playoffs.

I think in the summer both SE and PR will have more attractive offers(both in terms of level of football and finance) than the one PS could put together, so wouldn't be surprised if we're looking for new management team, as well as about 18 players come June.

Put another way - is there anyone else better at this level? I don’t think so; and even if there is - they’re probably already employed and there’s no way we’d compensate a club for a new manager.

It's a guessing game but a couple of straws. Scally has said that he thinks managers have a shortish shelf life in our division before the players stop reacting to them. Evans slightly dodges this one because he has always churned players and current times mean teams get overhauled ever quicker. Evans said when he joined that financially he had no need to work and I actually believe him. If that's the case he'll be inclined to stay as long as he thinks he can improve the team. As always if a bigger club with bigger resources and a real chance comes calling, he's off. Evans' reputation and age is in our favour.

I was against their appointment but, having said that, I am quite pleased with what they have achieved, in that both my heart palpitations and depression are decreased, being replaced by a sort of satisfied boredom.

If we were talking about a Premier League team, there would be an argument for saying that they are only just over 18 months in to a team building job.

Problem is that due to the proportion of shortish term loans in our squad, there is no opportunity to build a settled team. Hence, they have probably done the best they could.

Would not expect to get anyone better but if the deadly duo leave, I would probably be looking at someone like the Cowley brothers or Chris Powell to be offered the job.

I hear Bristol Rovers have interviewed Joey Barton. Rather them than us.

Put another way - is there anyone else better at this level? I don’t think so; and even if there is - they’re probably already employed and there’s no way we’d compensate a club for a new manager.

We have in the past - Edinburgh as an example.

Personally I think Evans constantly going on about budgets will be grating on Scally and I wonder if that might be a factor when they come to discuss contracts.
My hunch is they will mutually agree its time to move on.

I'd be happy if he stayed though. I like his engagement with this fans and I honestly believe he can attract better players than the likes of Pennock, Lovell and Hess ever could.

I don't like the style of football so wouldn't be upset to see us try someone new.

Evans is a competitor with ambition. I'm not sure our chairmen is (or can match Evans ambition).

Overall i would give SE a 10/10 for connection with the fans. I don't like the attitude to refs 4/10. I don't like the moaning about the budget all the time. I'm sure he knew the facts before he signed UNLESS the goalposts have moved. With regard to signing and loaning players it's a complete duff or sublime.

But mainly duff:

Graham and Dempsey. Wow. Bonham Good.

Maghoma, Akinde, Hosdon, Willock (waste of 2 years wages) and Mellis. Poor choices.

The loans - generally poor.

Overall, i would let the pair go.

The loans - generally poor.

I thinks that's a bit harsh. Alfie Jones and Ollie Lee were very good last year. This year Ollie Lee is the standout and Evans contacts in the game allow us to get that type of loan.

I remember Tahvon Campbell, Billy King and Ollie Muldoon being the sort of loans we had before.

I hear Bristol Rovers have interviewed Joey Barton. Rather them than us.
You've hit the nail on the head there with your comment on Joey Barton. He is just a really nasty toe-rag whose training regime is based mainly on intimidation (allegedly). I detested him as a player, I detested him when he was a guest at HMPS and I sure as f*** hate him now he has made the transition to manager. My only solace is the fact that he will only ever have a short shell-life, no matter which club he's at, before he is spat out for good. One of the nastiest c**** in football (allegedly).

The jury’s still out whether ultimately they will do any better than Lovell did, in terms of average points per game and final league position. It’s hard to say where we’d have finished last season if the league campaign had been completed.
This season we are lower mid table currently, and slightly worse off on position and points per game than at the same point last season.
Evans has said coronavirus has impacted the budget this season, as the original plan was to have one season of consolidation (last season) and then to really go for it this season, but the budget was actually cut rather than increased, due to the pandemic.
Who knows what sort of budget there will be next season, with likely fewer season ticket sales not helping, and I’d imagine there will be bills to pay that have been deferred from this season.
I think with a playing budget of circa £1.5m it’s near impossible to be promoted, when there are a few big clubs spending around £10m and many others in the £3m-£8m bracket.
Will Scally secure any significant investment that could make the difference, surely unlikely in these times if he couldn’t do it before.