Kane is the Elephant@Spurs | Vital Football

Kane is the Elephant@Spurs

Spursex

Alert Team
Where did it all go so wrong?

Jose was bought into mount a Top 4 challenge and keep us in the CL as well winning silverware along the way.

Jose got the players he wants, so he's been backed...but his football and almost everything else since has turned sour..

We all knew that without success keeping hold of Harry would be nigh on impossible, over a year ago i relayed here what was coming straight from his camp, he'd give Jose one full season and if there was no break-through, he'd be off.

His camp is now active, perhaps our only saving grace may oddly be the state of the covid affected transfer market. The club will not want to sell him on the cheap.

However, the only club in Europe right now that could afford to pay what we will ask is ManC - perhaps one or two other might - but finding the money of you're RM or Barca is going to be a club risking challenge, that perhaps leaves Bayern Munich, who could afford it and Maybe PSG...Poch doesn't need him, BM might..

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...nsfer-happiness-elephant-in-room-b920104.html

Why Harry Kane’s happiness threatens to become Tottenham elephant in the room
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
11 minutes ago

It Is nearly a year since Harry Kane warned that he would not stay at Tottenham “for the sake of it”, and those comments make uneasy reading for the club in their current state.
“I love Spurs, I’ll always love Spurs, but I’ve always said if I don’t feel we’re progressing as a team or going in the right direction, I’m not someone to stay there for the sake of it,” Kane told Jamie Redknapp in an Instagram Live chat in March 2020.
Right now, it is hard to make a case that Spurs are progressing — short-term, they have been on the slide since mid-December, but their downturn in the League began more than two years ago — and the question of Kane’s happiness is threatening to become the elephant in the room if Jose Mourinho’s side cannot stop the rot.

Kane has always made plain his desire to win the major team honours his talent deserves and now feels like the time to do it, with the 27-year-old in his prime.

“I don’t think there’s a day that goes past when I don’t wake up and think, ‘I want to win the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup’,” Kane told Thierry Henry in an interview in 2017. “In three years’ time, if I haven’t won a trophy, it’d be disappointing.”

Tottenham, though, still look some way short of challenging for the biggest honours and another period of rebuilding appears to lie ahead.
Mourinho last week reminded Kane that Spurs are only one match — the Carabao Cup Final against Manchester City in April — from winning a trophy, while the Europa League, which resumes tomorrow with the round-of-32 first leg against Wolfsberger, offers another credible route to silverware this season.
The question for Kane is whether challenging on those fronts is enough and former Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov, who forced his way out of the club to win two League titles at Manchester United, believes time is running out for the England captain to win the top honours.
“When he stops playing, is he going to be happy with no winners’ medals?” questioned Berbatov in an interview with Standard Sport. “Time doesn’t wait for anyone.”

Kane is also motivated by personal accolades, which are all but guaranteed with Spurs. His goal against Everton last week moved him above Bobby Smith as the club’s second-highest scorer of all-time on 209 and he is just 57 short of Jimmy Greaves’ record of 266.

“From a striker’s point of view, these records are important and he will want to be number one,” Berbatov said. “It would be a great honour for him to be the all-time top scorer for Spurs and this will be something that is on his mind. There will always be the question about if he is staying or going. He knows he is the one who will score goals in that side. He’s in a great place at Spurs. The only minor setback is the lack of trophies.”
Kane has also spoken fondly of wanting to be a “one-club man” and former Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino claimed the forward was “so emotional” while watching Francesco Totti’s tearful goodbye to Roma in 2017, bringing down the curtain on a glorious 25-year career with the Italian club.

Trophies or not, Kane is on course to write himself into Spurs folklore in similar style and even leading them to the League Cup would feel hugely significant given his story and the club’s long wait for silverware.
Whether through Mourinho’s management or his own insatiable desire for self-improvement, Kane has gone up a level this season, establishing himself as not only Spurs’s focal point but their beating heart, too.
Even before the financial devastation caused by the pandemic, there were few clubs with the resources to prize Kane from north London, while his importance to Spurs as a talisman and symbol transcends his role in the team, making him near-enough priceless.

“We are in a unique situation in football, but at the end of the day if a player wants to leave and he expresses his feelings to the manager and the chairman, I would expect them to find a way to make business happen,” added Berbatov, a Betfair ambassador.

Mourinho last week brushed aside a question about the importance of winning the League Cup and Europa League to his talisman’s future, saying only: “You have to ask Harry”, but Kane’s situation has undoubtedly added an extra edge to the competitions.

Kane’s happiness or otherwise is understandably an uncomfortable subject for Spurs and their fans, but it may be one that needs to be confronted soon.

Should Harry Kane leave Tottenham as he approaches his peak years? Pitch to Post analysis

Kane, who turns 28 in the summer, is yet to win a major trophy at Spurs, though Jose Mourinho's side do face Manchester City in April's Carabao Cup final as they look to end a 13-year wait for silverware. Will he leave Spurs in the near future?

Wednesday 17 February 2021 10:55, UK

As Harry Kane enters his peak footballing years, the Pitch to Post Review show panel ask: should he leave Tottenham?
Kane, who turns 28 in the summer, is yet to win a major trophy at Spurs, though Jose Mourinho's side do face Manchester City in April's Carabao Cup final as they look to end a 13-year wait for silverware.

But Kane's future is under the spotlight again after failing to register a single touch in the opponent's box in the 3-0 defeat by Manchester City on Saturday.

Sky Sports' Jamie Redknapp said after the game: "That is not what players of the class of Harry Kane and Son want to be associated with," said Jamie Redknapp after the game. "Harry Kane must be thinking: 'If I played in that City side, how many goals would I get? How many chances? How many touches in the box?'.

Jamie Redknapp believes Harry Kane will be considering his Tottenham future if the club cannot show the same ambition he has to win a major trophy.

"Harry Kane must look at that and think: 'I want touches, I want to be the main man, not just taking free-kicks!'. He won't be happy doing that."

In a March 2020 interview with Redknapp himself, Kane refused to rule out a Spurs exit in the future, saying: "It's one of those things, I couldn't say yes, I couldn't say no. I love Spurs, I'll always love Spurs. But it's one of those things - I've always said if I don't feel we're progressing as a team or going in the right direction, then I'm not someone to just stay there for the sake of it."

Read into those posts what you will!

Harry is never going to say in public "I am a one Club player and I am not going anywhere" because that would take the pressure off the Board and Levy, to improve/progress in the right direction, now saying! in public "if I do not see progression in the right direction then I am not someone to stay for the sake of it" esp the club he love's, by saying that he keeps up the pressure on Levy and the Board, those are my thoughts and am confident he will not leave, esp to another PL club.

Only financial roadblocks can stop Kane leaving this summer. If Man City or Man Utd come calling and can somehow meet what will be very lofty demands from Levy, he will leave.

If finances are the reason he can't get a move then I think he will make life difficult for Levy and the club. I don't think he will down tools, and he will always stay on the right side of respectful, but I think he will make more pointed comments about the club not matching his ambitions and he would be right.

Well there's a certain irony here. In the current financial climate the only way we we can marry his and the club's ambitions is by selling him and reinvesting the funds.

Won't hold it against him if he leaves as he's been incredible for us. However, I hate reading this kind of thing. It was the same with Eriksen. Kane himself, like Eriksen before him, has a big say in whether we win something or not and has thus far failed to turn up when it matters.

Time for him to step up on the big stage and be the player we know he is, starting this April!

I agree with Gary. The new stadium gave us the chance to increase revenue and buy better players. Covid has scuppered that for now. It would be unfair for Harry to say the club is not matching his aspirations. We have spent big ( for us ) and signed some good players. Brought in one of the worlds best managers.
If Harry wants to rub our noses in Covid, he wont leave with my blessing.

Winning the Carabao Cup will probably encourage Kane to leave. His conscience will be clear. He's done his bit and he's left a winner. The pragmatic Kane will know like we all do that it is not the first domino of many. It is probably a one-off.

As for ensuring the best years are ahead of him, Kane will also know that staying fitter as you get older is something that Pep is great at helping his players with. He will also know that the timing is right with Aguero being 4 years older. A space is being created. The brand of football is amazing to play in and the England attackers Sterling, Foden etc are there for him to slot in alongside.

I only see this ending one way. At least we'll have a new (well old) right back in the process :-)

Winning the Carabao Cup will probably encourage Kane to leave. His conscience will be clear. He's done his bit and he's left a winner. The pragmatic Kane will know like we all do that it is not the first domino of many. It is probably a one-off.

As for ensuring the best years are ahead of him, Kane will also know that staying fitter as you get older is something that Pep is great at helping his players with. He will also know that the timing is right with Aguero being 4 years older. A space is being created. The brand of football is amazing to play in and the England attackers Sterling, Foden etc are there for him to slot in alongside.

I only see this ending one way. At least we'll have a new (well old) right back in the process :-)
I agree. If we win the Carabao he will have fulfilled his personal ambition with Spurs. It won't satisfy his professional ambition though.

If we were to end up trophyless and Jose was sacked, he still wouldn't hang around. Jose was the promise of success in the here and now. Another manager means another new system which will take time.

What's your reference to the right back?

I agree. If we win the Carabao he will have fulfilled his personal ambition with Spurs. It won't satisfy his professional ambition though.

If we were to end up trophyless and Jose was sacked, he still wouldn't hang around. Jose was the promise of success in the here and now. Another manager means another new system which will take time.

What's your reference to the right back?

Kyle Walker

Ha. I made a reference slightly in jest the other day about Kyle returning. Are you being serious?

Not sure. Putting the clues together.....

For
Exactly the type of short term manoeuvre Jose would make. Kyle's returns a winner
Cancelo has the shirt
3 league titles, 3 league cups, FA Cup etc - Kyle has the medals already
Kane off the wage-bill / can accommodate the salary

Against
Sheffield lad - would he come down South again?
We want another City player instead e.g. Stones
We just want the cash deal

It's a tough one to call

It’s on the wall that there has to be wholesale changes at the club ,
Kane and Son will both want better .,
Toby will be on his way soon .
Winks ,,despite his twenty years at the club , is not going to be “that” player .,(?nor Skipp or a few others)
Hugo .... how much longer do we hope to be able to rely on him . His
errors are creeping( ! ) in .
Nobody will be forming a team around Lamela of Lo Celso.
Sanchez has proved that he is not about to become a superstar .
Our right backs are a joke , we only have one quality left back , and one decent squad left back .
We could be left without the spine of our “team” at the start of next season

As soon as well sell Kane /Son , every player we are interested in suddenly becomes more expensive. .

The way I see it , is that we have to win two trophies this year .
It’s not rocket science which two that may be .

The premier league “ponies “was a major understatement .

The manager threw everything at the cup game at Everton and it backfired .
We now have given up even being interested in the league .

It’s a far bigger picture than just keeping Kane Happy .
IMO .....however humble that is ....... Or how worthy I am to even be allowed to have an opinion . Rich will tell me .

One thing I am positive about is Levy is not going to make the right decisions when Kane does leave. I have very little faith in Mourinho's ability to build a new team with whatever funds Kane brings in too.

It's Levy's track record that goes against him. The club have never adjusted well when selling their star players. Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Walker, Dembele. It's not so much mind reading, but is more predictive assessments based on history.

It's the same with Levy's managerial track record. Good manager, then a bad one, then a good one, then a bad one.

The Covid loan Levy took on was 175 mil. I dont know how much has been used or when the payback date is. The sale of Kane might cover it.

As for ensuring the best years are ahead of him, Kane will also know that staying fitter as you get older is something that Pep is great at helping his players with.
It's not so diificult when you have the wealth of talent sitting on the bench as they do. Then again Pep is very demanding of his players, nobody gets a free ride.

It's Levy's track record that goes against him. The club have never adjusted well when selling their star players. Carrick, Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Walker, Dembele. It's not so much mind reading, but is more predictive assessments based on history.

It's the same with Levy's managerial track record. Good manager, then a bad one, then a good one, then a bad one.

lol - who were the good ones?