Charlton Tomorrow - Shirley in Doubt? | Page 8 | Vital Football

Charlton Tomorrow - Shirley in Doubt?

Late decision not to watch as I thought we'd get nothing but perhaps a bad defeat. So very glad to be proved wrong and can you just imagine had we been there to see it. Dempsey's value keeps rising.

Last edited:
Very satisfying result. I’m starting to trust a couple of players to execute -eg Bonham pulls of great saves and I just think, of course. Jackson needs resting. Confidence isn’t there and off the pace with his passes and clearances. We seem to play forward in short spells, but when we’re up there things look likely to happen. Good stuff.

Well done Gills, deserved win and stunning goal by Ogilvie. Was glad to see McKenzie enter the field, he was a significant upgrade on O`Keefe and might well, at some time in the future, be the same in relation to Jackson who had another poor game.

John Akinde worked hard and took responsibility for getting back to help out, one of his better games, well done Big John. Quality from Dempsey again and he deserved his goal.

Off the field, what a rubbish commentator the lady from Radio London was ! Dreadful in terms of identification and assimilation and, like some of her colleagues at R/Kent, more than a little inclined to go off at tangents completely ignoring what was happening on the pitch. Awful commentator. First half with no commentary was better.

And on the subject of iFollow, my favourite in-game pop-up stat: Possession Charlton 57% Gills 44% !

Most amusing tongue in cheek moment : After the final whistle and the camera person switches to close up of Lee Bowyer giving the 4th official both barrels whilst an angelic looking SE is standing just a couple of feet away listening with an angelic look on his boat !

Great 3 points, made a bit sweeter by being against one of the self appointed too big to be in this league boys.

Let's not hide behind the fact that whilst we were good going forward and did a lot better than I expected given we had no Graham or Slattery, defensively we were bang average (being polite) with a lot of our defending not looking out of place on a Sunday morning park. If we're to give ourselves even an outside chance of being in the playoff mix (and we have got some quality in Dempsey and Graham on the ball) we need to start defending properly, as a team.

Good three points but we've got to improve defensively, if not sooner or later we are going to get spanked by someone.

Great win! Couple of players stood out today.

Bonham never hesitated to come off his line to catch, head, intercept. Made some good saves too. Faultless.

Ogilvie and O’Connor on the left gave their right-winger no joy all day long.

Akinde was a different player today. Hard working. Strong. Fast. A real handful and outshined Oliver.

Jackson - out of his depth today. Can’t beat a player when going forwards. Doesn’t stop crosses coming in to the box. Positionally suspect.

Great win! Couple of players stood out today.

Bonham never hesitated to come off his line to catch, head, intercept. Made some good saves too. Faultless.

Ogilvie and O’Connor on the left gave their right-winger no joy all day long.

Akinde was a different player today. Hard working. Strong. Fast. A real handful and outshined Oliver.

Jackson - out of his depth today. Can’t beat a player when going forwards. Doesn’t stop crosses coming in to the box. Positionally suspect.
Agree with all of that. That shocking slice by Jackson near the end nearly led to an equaliser for them. He was exposed a lot but hapless anyway.
3 well struck goals.

Did my eyes deceive me. I could have sworn Akinde (?) crashed the ball against the bar, seconds before Dempsey scored but the commentator said it was blocked.