Steve Evans Requests Football Association Simulation Action | Page 8 | Vital Football

Steve Evans Requests Football Association Simulation Action

There's probably an ITV gameshow in this.......'Stumbling in the Box'.
Steve Evans in the Simon Cowell role!?

I am very sorry and upset at what appears to be a developing witch hunt of Brennan Johnson. From the camera angle looking straight down the pitch, it can be seen the Gillingham Player's hand is in front of the shoulder of Brennan and pulls Brennan's arm back. You can see the rippling of the shirt as this action takes place. The ref has a perfect view of it and decides to award a penalty. If the Gillingham player doesn't attempt to pull him, there is no decision to be made by the referee. The Sky commentator decided that the penalty was dubious from the main match camera angle and then changed his mind completely when seeing the straight down the pitch camera angle. The Gillingham player having made the challenge, looks at the referee to see what his decision is and on seeing his decision to be a penalty, not once complained or made any attempt to challenge the ref's decision. His whole body language gave off the impression that he had made a mistake and the ref had called him out for it.

Mike Jones should now be called upon to make a full and frank statement of exactly why the penalty award was a mistake and the precise reasons for coming to this decision which effectively has given Steve Evans a full rein to make all his public announcements to the denigration of Brennan. I want to hear that Mike Jones agrees fully with Steve Evans' statements made, otherwise I find it hard to give credence to anything he has to say on the subject.

Can anyone point to any of the penalties Brennan has won this season where there has been no contact on him whatsoever (A definition of a dive for me) ? It's very simple. Do not attempt to touch a player with your hand or outstretch your arm to impede them. If you do, you take a risk. I don't condone over exaggeration in going down and often feel this leads to a penalty not being given more than it is, e.g Saurez for Liverpool at Arsenal when he threw himself up in the air following the foul challenge, did a couple of somersaults and a pirouette or two and thus convinced the ref not to give a penalty when it clearly was !

I am very sorry and upset at what appears to be a developing witch hunt of Brennan Johnson. From the camera angle looking straight down the pitch, it can be seen the Gillingham Player's hand is in front of the shoulder of Brennan and pulls Brennan's arm back. You can see the rippling of the shirt as this action takes place. The ref has a perfect view of it and decides to award a penalty. If the Gillingham player doesn't attempt to pull him, there is no decision to be made by the referee. The Sky commentator decided that the penalty was dubious from the main match camera angle and then changed his mind completely when seeing the straight down the pitch camera angle. The Gillingham player having made the challenge, looks at the referee to see what his decision is and on seeing his decision to be a penalty, not once complained or made any attempt to challenge the ref's decision. His whole body language gave off the impression that he had made a mistake and the ref had called him out for it.

Mike Jones should now be called upon to make a full and frank statement of exactly why the penalty award was a mistake and the precise reasons for coming to this decision which effectively has given Steve Evans a full rein to make all his public announcements to the denigration of Brennan. I want to hear that Mike Jones agrees fully with Steve Evans' statements made, otherwise I find it hard to give credence to anything he has to say on the subject.

Can anyone point to any of the penalties Brennan has won this season where there has been no contact on him whatsoever (A definition of a dive for me) ? It's very simple. Do not attempt to touch a player with your hand or outstretch your arm to impede them. If you do, you take a risk. I don't condone over exaggeration in going down and often feel this leads to a penalty not being given more than it is, e.g Saurez for Liverpool at Arsenal when he threw himself up in the air following the foul challenge, did a couple of somersaults and a pirouette or two and thus convinced the ref not to give a penalty when it clearly was !
As I posted earlier, the defender pulled his shirt for a reason and by doing so gave the ref a decision to make. And he can have only really had one objective in mind. Brennan then reacted - by losing his balance or by exaggerating or diving, dependent upon who you listen to - but only in response to that tug...

Unless of course, the defender was just smoothing some creases out of his shirt for him?

What's that old saying, you can look but you can't touch.

It's quite simple really. If you physically block, tackle or otherwise position your body to impede an opponent there are often occasions when it is a legitimate action.

If somebody can provide me details of a legitimate action when pulling on somebody's shirt or arm after the opponent has gone past, I would love to know.

The fact that Johnson highlights the stupidity of the defender to the ref. is not cheating. The cheating bit would be the initial tug back; end of debate for me.

It's not a witch hunt at all. Simply a few pointing out that it doesn't take much for him to hit the deck. He is no different from 99.9% of professional footballers. It's the kind of thing that everyone will whine about when a similar penalty is given against us. I think the correct word is "balance", likely in more ways than one.

I'd be interested to hear what MA things about Steve using a young opposition player to deflect away from his own inadequacies following a defeat. Still no mention from him about Akinde's dive in the box to get a penalty or Graham who went down multiple times akin to Johnson or indeed the 4th goal.

It's Evans 101, lose blame everyone else, throw his own young players under the bus, not my fault etc. etc. Before the next home game, he will be laying on the charm. He's an odious snake who doesn't take responsibility for his own failings and instead will use the media to throw young players under the bus. If he thought it was a dive fair enough, talk to MA face-to-face and leave it there. Using the media to cast aspersions on Johnson and the tactics of MA is wrong but thankfully his ilk are leaving the game as he will soon.

It's not a witch hunt at all. Simply a few pointing out that it doesn't take much for him to hit the deck. He is no different from 99.9% of professional footballers. It's the kind of thing that everyone will whine about when a similar penalty is given against us. I think the correct word is "balance", likely in more ways than one.
I don’t disagree that it doesn’t take much for him to hit the deck, take Gillingham and Ipswich for example. However, in both cases defenders were seeking to gain advantage over him by using arms/hands to prevent his progress. The witch hunt I refer to is that the example of Gillingham is being held up as evidence of diving/cheating by Steve Evans of all people and some on this board. However soft it is viewed, neither this penalty nor the Ipswich one would have occurred if the defenders had not done what they did. Cheating by diving should be defined by whether there was any form of contact or not, not by how theatrical the attacking player makes his penalty claim. No contact and equally as badly players who are on their way down before contact is made should be the defining factor of cheating/diving. Using Brennan as a scapegoat for either of these examples in the Gillingham game is just plain wrong and very unfair. There are surely many better examples of this form of cheating. By all means request retribution for those who can clearly be seen to have cheated. But stop hanging Brennan out to dry as an example of something that he is not actually guilty of at Gillingham. Even the one yellow card he has received for simulation this season was shown on replay to be wholly incorrect and a more cast iron penalty I have yet to see given for us this season. If Brennan should dive without contact at some point in the future and receive a deserved yellow, then those of you who have labelled him a diver can come back and claim you are right then. Gillingham is not the case for it now.

Tbh who really cares what Steve Evans thinks or says? I don't!

Anyway we won, they didn't, we are top they are not, we have a great manager they have a Scots bloke who shouts a lot, we have a chance of getting promoted they don't.

Hopefully we won't be playing them next season so keep sucking on those sour grapes as many have done before you this season already end of!