Match Thread: Hull City v Lincoln City | Page 33 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Hull City v Lincoln City

One thing I thought from tonight and last week - can we play against Josh Magennis every week?

I think there must be a real shortage of strikers in league one - either that or posh just get them all. I like Hopper and he does a lot of good stuff for us (and got his poacher goal on Friday!) but tonight you had two forwards whose main contribution was winning a few fouls, in a game where there was a reasonable amount of decent positions for both sides?

News from Humberside: captain Richie Smallwood will miss the rest of the season with a medial ligament injury. Bad news for the player, but good for Lincoln.

BBC Radio Humberside love going after managers, see Michael Jolley for further proof. McCann didn't sound didn't sound convincing to me.
Stopped listening after 3 minutes. I imagine the interviewer will get the Hull job when McCann leaves, he certainly seems to know everything.
Not sure what the fella wants. Hull have just given as good as they got against a side, top of the league, and won the last 6 away conceding just 1 goal. Methinks he's another Billy big bollocks because we were a premier league team.

When you think back to Danny Cowley in turmoil about the pitch not being properly watered before the Carlisle match, you can imagine he might have had some sympathy with the players last night.

Quick and accurate passing and clever movement is the key to unlocking good defences and that was always going to be difficult last night on Hull's pitch... and so it proved.

So if you take the last two matches together, we have faced games where the conditions or opposition style were big tests and have come through with two clean sheets and four points.

Bringing on both Poole and Bramall after losing the defensive insurance of Bridcutt was a brave move.

I thought both looked good players on first sight but were obviously not fully attuned to the style in the way Edun and Eyoma are, not surprisingly. They were also wary of not making a mistake and took the safe option which blunted our attacking play a bit.

The good news is they both looked accomplished enough and have got some game time under their belts and will soon be fully up to speed.

So not a great spectacle last night but many reassuring and encouraging signs. There is certainly are no indication we are likely to just fade away as the season progresses, in fact, we are much more likely to keep powering on.

Stopped listening after 3 minutes. I imagine the interviewer will get the Hull job when McCann leaves, he certainly seems to know everything.
Not sure what the fella wants. Hull have just given as good as they got against a side, top of the league, and won the last 6 away conceding just 1 goal. Methinks he's another Billy big bollocks because we were a premier league team.

He seems to be reflecting what a lot of the Hull fanbase (at least the social media fanbase) believe. and to me that's a good stance to take as it's directly asking him the questions they would like answered.

Any side coming down from the Championship should be considered as promotion favourites unless they're in such an awful state, like Wigan, that it's impossible.

Football fans are funny and fickle though, as we all know. Doncaster's were cock-a-hoop after beating us and Oxford. They're unstoppable.

Then, after playing poorly at Fleetwood and losing there's now a thread "Luck Ran Out", where several of them now appear to realise they were fortunate to beat us (and Oxford).

Their fans, Hull's and ours are no different. At least the radio guy put McCann on the spot after two consecutive games where they didn't manage a shot on target.

There is certainly are no indication we are likely to just fade away as the season progresses, in fact, we are much more likely to keep powering on.

Other people just assume this side will fade away because "squad size" but loads of credit needs to go to whoever is doing the physical conditioning.

The players look fitter than practically every other team we play, which is borne out by the number of second half goals we've scored and a stat that the Hull commentator mentioned last night which I didn't know - we haven't conceded a goal in the last 15 minutes of any game.

Not only that, our team play has actually improved as the season has gone on. The standard of the football is getting better and better (in general as last night was an exception).

Whether the side blows up eventually will be seen, but there's no evidence that's likely to happen.

Reflections on Hull recognising they have a few players missing. I have watched both games and their strength is definitely in the midfield, Crowley pulls the strings and Doherty is excellent. They appear to have weaker wing backs than us and have no real width. They may play sharp passing football but that currently is impossible on their pitch until probably May. Our key flair players clearly struggled on that pitch and seldom provided an out ball. Rogers hugely wasteful in the last 20 and potential could have cost us a goal and Hull created opportunities from him constantly giving the ball away. Should have been hooked off. We were not over run in the middle but did miss Bridcutt breaking up play. Jones looked off it and McGrandles was the stand out in that area. This title race is now down to five contenders in my opinion. We will know more by the end of this month.

Other people just assume this side will fade away because "squad size" but loads of credit needs to go to whoever is doing the physical conditioning.

The players look fitter than practically every other team we play, which is borne out by the number of second half goals we've scored and a stat that the Hull commentator mentioned last night which I didn't know - we haven't conceded a goal in the last 15 minutes of any game.

Not only that, our team play has actually improved as the season has gone on. The standard of the football is getting better and better (in general as last night was an exception).

Whether the side blows up eventually will be seen, but there's no evidence that's likely to happen.
Our fitness is definitely one of the major strengths of this squad, completely agree! However that "stat" from their commentator is completely wrong. We conceded in the dieng moments of the Northampton game even recently, and also against Blackpool.

We conceded in the last 15 against Blackpool but that's all I can recall.

He seems to be reflecting what a lot of the Hull fanbase (at least the social media fanbase) believe. and to me that's a good stance to take as it's directly asking him the questions they would like answered.

Any side coming down from the Championship should be considered as promotion favourites unless they're in such an awful state, like Wigan, that it's impossible.

Football fans are funny and fickle though, as we all know. Doncaster's were cock-a-hoop after beating us and Oxford. They're unstoppable.

Then, after playing poorly at Fleetwood and losing there's now a thread "Luck Ran Out", where several of them now appear to realise they were fortunate to beat us (and Oxford).

Their fans, Hull's and ours are no different. At least the radio guy put McCann on the spot after two consecutive games where they didn't manage a shot on target.
Doesn't really matter to us.
I've no problem with the questions, you are right they probably are what the fans want asking. For sure, we've moaned about ours not asking them in our darker days. It's the manner and tone of the interview that I dont like. They guy is aggressive and confrontational, which helps nobody.