EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 699 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

Once they are in, they are generally in to stay.
I read an article in the Times that said there are at least 40,000 failed asylum seekers still living in the U.K..
That’s one’s who have gone through the legal channels and been rejected.
They estimate at least a million unofficially working in the black market.
Mainly in London.
"British towns with the most immigrants and highest levels of diversity tend to do far better economically than areas with little, a study has found....."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...cally-study-finds/ar-BB1drYQV?MSCC=1603470151

Until we have left the EU for 5-10 years nobody will know if we made the right or wong move.

Regardless the who EU set-up needs a massive overhaul. Pointless bureaucracy.

"British towns with the most immigrants and highest levels of diversity tend to do far better economically than areas with little, a study has found....."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...cally-study-finds/ar-BB1drYQV?MSCC=1603470151

You can extend that to countries too. The European countries with most immigrants (eg Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Germany) do better than European countries with the least immigrants (eg Ukraine, Romania, Albania, Poland).

Better economically while the quality of life goes to shit as property prices go through the roof, local services suffer and the equilibrium is lost for a generation.
Good shout if that’s what you’re looking for.

Salcombe property prices? Loads of foreign migrants there? I don't think so.

I chose Salcombe as it's down your way.

Local services suffer? Really? Migrants provide cheap labour to carry out the services.

Last edited:
You can extend that to countries too. The European countries with most immigrants (eg Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Germany) do better than European countries with the least immigrants (eg Ukraine, Romania, Albania, Poland).

Of course , you are correct , and the examples you have given demonstrate east and west , with the eastern countries still playing catch up from their communist past.
Poland , for example has a strong , growing economy that has had the benefit polish migrants returning home with money made in the west.

Poland , for example has a strong , growing economy that has had the benefit polish migrants returning home with money made in the west.

....and still receiving 4 times the funding from the EU than it contributes:
2018 figures for Poland:
  • Total EU spend in Poland – € 16.350 billion
    (equivalent to 3.43% of the Polish economy)
  • Total contribution to EU budget – € 3.983 billion
    (equivalent to the 0.84% of the Polish economy)
Poland | European Union (europa.eu)

I don't deny that the EU works for some countries.

Are migrants not eligible under the Government's minimum wage or living wage rules ? A lot of domestic workers have to accept the same, so I do not see it as cheap labour.
Before the Covid disaster try getting staff for an old people's home. My father-in-law's was largely filled by illegal foreign labour. It was eventually raided. This was after my father in law died. F### knows how they staffed it after that. I can only assume costs and therefore charges rocketed. Still, plenty of indigenous population wiĺl be prepared ro work in such places after the Covid recession/unemployment really hits, I suppose.

I'd take a wild guess that the illegally employed labour were not paid the proper rates.

Before the Covid disaster try getting staff for an old people's home. My father-in-law's was largely filled by illegal foreign labour. It was eventually raided. This was after my father in law died. F### knows how they staffed it after that. I can only assume costs and therefore charges rocketed. Still, plenty of indigenous population wiĺl be prepared ro work in such places after the Covid recession/unemployment really hits, I suppose.

I'd take a wild guess that the illegally employed labour were not paid the proper rates.
I suppose it depends on geography 58.
My mother in law’s care home in Exeter is pretty well 100% local employees.
I’m assuming that they pay the going rate.

I suppose it depends on geography 58.
My mother in law’s care home in Exeter is pretty well 100% local employees.
I’m assuming that they pay the going rate.

My late mother in law was at Friston House in Rochester and my other half tells me 95% of the nurses and attendants were from the area. Just one Irish and a couple of Caribbean descent were the exceptions.

As you say, the staff are available in the sector but they just need to be paid the going rate. The chain called Barchester that run Friston do not look to exploit Eastern europeans just to cut costs and maximise profits and as a consequence they are actually expanding their business.

As 58 points out, there will actually be more potential staff looking for jobs, both here and in Europe, but that is purely down to the effects of the pandemic.