Goalkeepers | Page 2 | Vital Football

Goalkeepers

Your own post should answer the question you pose.

They obviously consider him to be good enough and had other priorities.

For all those criticising Jones's performance ask yourself who keeps selecting him and then try addressing your criticism at them.
Quite a few questioning Leams continued selection of him post this week TB

Your own post should answer the question you pose.

They obviously consider him to be good enough and had other priorities.

For all those criticising Jones's performance ask yourself who keeps selecting him and then try addressing your criticism at them.

Even though Richardson and Rioch pick the team, they had the chance to go for a keeper in January but instead brought back the lame duck(s) that had already been here once and were useless first time around, someone said earlier in the thread that Richardson was out of his depth and i tend to agree.

Witnessing Jones's howlers you would have thought a keeper would have been a priority in the transfer window.

We still have the option to bring in a keeper.

Also can't the EFL agree emergency loans for keepers ?
Whilst "because our current ones are related to "the clangers" probably wouldn't wash surely a couple of mysterious training ground injuries could be engineered?

Even though Richardson and Rioch pick the team, they had the chance to go for a keeper in January but instead brought back the lame duck(s) that had already been here once and were useless first time around, someone said earlier in the thread that Richardson was out of his depth and i tend to agree.

Witnessing Jones's howlers you would have thought a keeper would have been a priority in the transfer window.

Therefore the problem in your view would be LR and GR for picking him and not prioritising a keeper in the window.

So what is the use of criticising Jones when it is clearly not his fault. He is our only experienced keeper and is being selected by the manager and academy manager, so the criticism should be directed at them.

If you employ someone who cannot do the job and continue to employ him then it is you that is at fault, your employee can only perform to the standard he is capable of.

We still have the option to bring in a keeper.

Also can't the EFL agree emergency loans for keepers ?
Whilst "because our current ones are related to "the clangers" probably wouldn't wash surely a couple of mysterious training ground injuries could be engineered?

Perhaps when the takeover has gone through we will go out and look for a new keeper, however until that time we will have to persist with the two we have as it would be crazy to have three keepers taking up squad places alongside the five centre backs, that would be a third of our squad.

De gea yesterday. Allison today. Its a horrible position to play. Everyone's an expert on it unfortunately. Jones has saved us in games this season and also cost us in games. In the couple of games Evans has played he's cost us goals too. Some cite him as the worst we've had but few have played in a back 4 changed as much as ours this season.

Jones was not acceptable last season, unless you think acceptable is going having a drink of water when the ball is with your defence just outside the goal area with the opposition closing them down.

I was absolutely fuming at the time, next day I moved on.

I'd move O'Donnell and Nicholls into the third category, Carson into the second and to be fair to the likes of Nash and Sarkic they never played enough to really say either way so harsh to put them in the rogues gallery with Stojkovic and Kingston.

Also I'd put Gilks into category one - I thought he was great for us in his brief spell.

Someone like Jussi would've been category 1 in his first season and then category 3 in the following season unfortunately. So hard to place him overall.

Unfortunately Jones goes in category 3, he's not as bad as some of the others in there but he's still in there.

Last edited:
Jones was not acceptable last season, unless you think acceptable is going having a drink of water when the ball is with your defence just outside the goal area with the opposition closing them down.
Without which and an extra 2 pts we would be bottom of the championship rather than bottom of L1 !