Goalkeepers | Vital Football

Goalkeepers

Jonnysking

Vital 1st Team Regular
The problem we have got, is that we have been spoilt rotten with goalkeepers over the years.

Look at the lists below, the first group contains the ones who I would say were outstanding goalkeepers.

Reeves, Filan, Pollitt, Carroll, Al Habsi, Carson, Jasskalinen, Walton, Kirkland, Robles, Marshall.

The next list is of good keepers we have had over the years,

Brown, Felgate, Adkins, Farnworth, Tunks, Butler, O'Donnell, Nixon, Nicholls, Walsh, Stillie, Beasant, Marriott,

The next list is of keepers who were poor, or keepers we saw very little of.

Bogdan, Kingson, Stojkovicz, Kerr, , Haugaard, Nash, Sarkic

Hand on heart, which group would our present goalkeeper fall into?

Last edited:
The problem we have got, is that we have been spoilt rotten with goalkeepers over the years.

Look at the lists below, the first group contains the ones who I would say were outstanding goalkeepers.

Reeves, Filan, Carroll, Al Habsi, Carson, Jasskalinen, Walton, Kirkland, Robles, Marshall.

Brown, Felgate, Adkins, Farnworth, Tunks, Butler, O'Donnell, Nixon, Nicholls, Pollitt, Walsh, Stillie, Beasant, Marriott,

The next list is of keepers who were poor, or keepers we saw very little of.

Bogdan, Kingson, Stojkovicz, Kerr, , Haugaard, Nash, Sarkic

Hand on heart, which group would our present goalkeeper fall into?
Poor but we dont have anyone else

Poor but we dont have anyone else
Leams post match says all keepers will make 1 or 2 major errors per season which is fair enough.
Unfortunately Jones is making 1 or 2 per game.
Not sure how Leam can make that statement.
Whilst we may not have won at Swindon or today Jones's clowning around has cost us at least 2 points in the last 2 games

He may be shite but FFS there's some shite protecting him and further up the field where we should be playing and keeping the ball away from a wank defence and him.
None of the mentioned keepers have had such a piss poor defence and negative midfield and inept strike force in front of them. Plus an out of depth manager trying to emulate his former manager.

Leams post match says all keepers will make 1 or 2 major errors per season which is fair enough.
Unfortunately Jones is making 1 or 2 per game.
Not sure how Leam can make that statement.
Whilst we may not have won at Swindon or today Jones's clowning around has cost us at least 2 points in the last 2 games
Ok but how many mistakes a game is Leam making?

He may be shite but FFS there's some shite protecting him and further up the field where we should be playing and keeping the ball away from a wank defence and him.
None of the mentioned keepers have had such a piss poor defence and negative midfield and inept strike force in front of them. Plus an out of depth manager trying to emulate his former manager.

I take it you don't rate the current team and manager jeff.

Our Defence goes missing longer than Lord Lucan.

Bill Shankly:

“A football team is like a piano.
You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

The problem with this Bill, the Admins sold the Piano,
and this team couldn't make a pass to Nora Batty.

Brown, Felgate, Adkins, Farnworth, Tunks, Butler, O'Donnell, Nixon, Nicholls, Walsh, Stillie, Beasant, Marriott,

For a start I'd take Adkins right out of that good list & drop him in the rubbish one. He was crap
And "concrete boots" Stillie

Jones would go in the poor section for me and I've said it for years when people have clamoured to replace Walton and Marshall with him - but in our situation I'm not sure who better we could actually bring in especially when you see the early indication of the quality of players we were able to attract in the recent window

Evans I've not seen enough of to comment but he looked shaky in the 2 I have seen. An extended run may be the making of him but that run is likely to be littered with errors that will cost us goals and games too

We definitely need to sign a competent keeper if we want a chance to stay up. Even if it's just for competition and force Jones is to thinking he needs to play well to keep his spot because at the moment he really has no fear of losing his place.

Theres ben alnwick out there on a free. Now i know hes ex nob lot but beggars cant be choosers. Hes surely an upgrade on jones. Shoot me down in flames if you like but ive scoured the free agents and its literally him or nothing. Loan might be a better idea but I've no idea who would want to come

Jones's cock ups have been happening for a while, why didn't LR/GR go for a keeper in January? If only to keep Jones on his toes, the admins said in a recent statement that they provided the manager with what he asked for during the window, so why no keeper?

Two points thrown away in 4 days and Jones was responsible for both, shocking goalkeeping for a senior pro.

Jones's cock ups have been happening for a while, why didn't LR/GR go for a keeper in January? If only to keep Jones on his toes, the admins said in a recent statement that they provided the manager with what he asked for during the window, so why no keeper?

Two points thrown away in 4 days and Jones was responsible for both, shocking goalkeeping for a senior pro.

Your own post should answer the question you pose.

They obviously consider him to be good enough and had other priorities.

For all those criticising Jones's performance ask yourself who keeps selecting him and then try addressing your criticism at them.