January Signings | Page 16 | Vital Football

January Signings

liverpool and everton want him,and hes waying it up due to wilder reluctant to playing the young uns . so yeah we could be losing him ,ffs

He might as well leave.

Wilder won't play him, no matter how good he is.

He's not brought through a single youngster in all his time here. It's piss poor.

He might as well leave.

Wilder won't play him, no matter how good he is.

He's not brought through a single youngster in all his time here. It's piss poor.
Well he had better start considering the youngsters because it maybe the only way we have of freshening the team up, until we get our finances in order.
If it gets to a point where we cannot stay up he needs to start blooding the best ones.

No matter what our hopeless situation is, he'll never consider them.

If every coach was like Wilder no kids would ever make it as professionals.

The lad is 18, would you play him this season and risk him being ruined for life?
Get him a loan and think about it next year.

Obviously, I have not seen young Gordon play this season.
I like the lad and I like how his dad has looked after his career, but from what I’ve seen over the previous two seasons, he will have to have developed a hell of a lot, to be seriously considered for playing in the Prem. In the future maybe, but not yet.
If Liverpool are interested, it would be for their U23’s to develop, certainly not for the first team.
I’m not even sure CD will prove to be his best position. He certainly has pace and brings the ball out of defence well. I’d like to see him tried at DM.

Obviously, I have not seen young Gordon play this season.
I like the lad and I like how his dad has looked after his career, but from what I’ve seen over the previous two seasons, he will have to have developed a hell of a lot, to be seriously considered for playing in the Prem. In the future maybe, but not yet.
If Liverpool are interested, it would be for their U23’s to develop, certainly not for the first team.
I’m not even sure CD will prove to be his best position. He certainly has pace and brings the ball out of defence well. I’d like to see him tried at DM.
I've said it before Bigglenaldo you speak far too much sense to be posting on here mi owd pal.I think you and me and a few more on here have seen plenty of academy football over the last few years and it's totally different to playing at first team level, never mind the Premier League.UTMPB

There's a poster on S2 Ball-Sup (Phil) who has reported on all the development squads, he's continually asked if any could make the step up he has continually said no when we were in the Champs and the Premiership, his opinion but he has watched them. No way Wilder would risk playing prospects in League 1 promotion was priority, nor in Champs pushing for promotion and definitely not in Prem. Ultimately are these academy player good enough or are they there to generate income, Ramsdale and Calvert Lewin being example. Many more just filter down the leagues unfortunately .

There's a poster on S2 Ball-Sup (Phil) who has reported on all the development squads, he's continually asked if any could make the step up he has continually said no when we were in the Champs and the Premiership, his opinion but he has watched them. No way Wilder would risk playing prospects in League 1 promotion was priority, nor in Champs pushing for promotion and definitely not in Prem. Ultimately are these academy player good enough or are they there to generate income, Ramsdale and Calvert Lewin being example. Many more just filter down the leagues unfortunately .

Yes, young Phil obviously sees them more often than I do (he goes to all the away games), although how he judges them I’m not too sure as he usually has a few beers before the game!

The number who make a good full-time career after being in the Academies, is extremely small, although quite a few have decent “non-league“ careers. United’s has been far more successful than most. Harry Maguire and Kyle Walker haven’t done too badly for themselves (or for us financially). Add on Kyle Naughton, Matt Lowton, DCL, David Brooks and one or two others playing in Leagues 1 and 2, and it has been an undoubted success.
It’s just a pity that ever since its inception, we have never been able to match the terms offered by the big clubs to the really outstanding ones.

Last edited:
The number who make a good full-time career after being in the Academies, is extremely small, although quite a few have decent “non-league“ careers. United’s has been far more successful than most. Harry Maguire and Kyle Walker haven’t done too badly for themselves (or for us financially). Add on Kyle Naughton, Matt Lowton, DCL, David Brooks and one or two others playing in Leagues 1 and 2, and it has been an undoubted success.
It’s just a pity that ever since its inception, we have never been able to match the terms offered by the big clubs to the really outstanding ones.

I appreciate we have produced players over the years, I think the point is we haven't had many cement a regular place during Wilde'rs tenure. Is there a pathway for the current academy and are they good enough is the question.

I appreciate we have produced players over the years, I think the point is we haven't had many cement a regular place during Wilde'rs tenure. Is there a pathway for the current academy and are they good enough is the question.

I think Chris would love to play lads from the Academy but, as you quoted from Phil above, it’s never been the right time - and it is a huge step up, in terms of the physical,
speed and movement, and skill.
Sadly, I can remember a number of Unitedites stating DCL was never going to be good enough for the first team - and we were in Lg 1 at the time!
Opinions eh?

Yes, young Phil obviously sees them more often than I do (he goes to all the away games), although how he judges them I’m not too sure as he usually has a few beers before the game!

He (Phil) must have a great life as he spends a lot of time watching cricket around the world & domestically too (when possible) and also reports extensivly on the beverages available.

Features on the YCCC forum - although not much ATM

He (Phil) must have a great life as he spends a lot of time watching cricket around the world & domestically too (when possible) and also reports extensivly on the beverages available.

Features on the YCCC forum - although not much ATM
I saw him regularly at the academy games i went too and yes he does seem to have a grand life and an understanding Mrs, TT.:giggle: Although i think she travels with him quite alot and yes he does like to talk of ales available,a good bloke. UTMPB

I would love us to be able to keep and develop these young players.
I agree mi owd pal but not many of the academy players actually have very good careers but it would be gr8 if the likes of DCL,Maguire etc; had been here longer but let's not forget the likes of Jordan Slew who we got decent wonga for and he's not had a gr8 career has he.UTMPB

If only you were living in and around South Yorkshire instead of being in Canada Our Chris could have employed you and your expertise in scouting world class footballers Peggy.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: UTMPB

Its all abart opinions init my stalker. that's two of us now, keep going you can get the hat trick.