Jan Transfer Window | Page 37 | Vital Football

Jan Transfer Window

The irony is that for all the central midfielders we have, with injuries we are thin on the ground at the moment so losing Sow could be a problem.

The irony is that for all the central midfielders we have, with injuries we are thin on the ground at the moment so losing Sow could be a problem.

The most obvious answer to this is being over looked.

Sow is in the last 6 months of his contract; he is free to speak to whoever he likes in any league so long as it is not another English Club.

That does not necessarily mean he will be leaving in the next few days; he could just be signing a pre contract for next season.

The most obvious answer to this is being over looked.

Sow is in the last 6 months of his contract; he is free to speak to whoever he likes in any league so long as it is not another English Club.

That does not necessarily mean he will be leaving in the next few days; he could just be signing a pre contract for next season.
True but knowing the way we shift players I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone in the next few days.

And for those that speak English :)
View attachment 45453

He's out of contract this summer.

He's is keen to stay here (clearly better for him financially) and extend his contract, but he is nowhere near hitting the number of appearances that would automatically trigger such discussions.

I wonder why he's been playing more often recently, training a little harder etc?

If it wasn't for the injury problems, I'd be happy for him to go & thank him for his efforts over the past 2 season.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/duane-holmes-say-after-leaving-4925894

This article, from Derby Telegraph shows how footballers work and how powerless clubs are:

Duane Holmes has left Derby County and joined Huddersfield Town, the club where his career started.

The 26-year-old has signed a three and a half year contract after the two clubs reached an undisclosed agreement.

His deal at Derby was due to expire in the summer.

"Obviously, I’m buzzing. This club means so much to me," he said.

"I grew up here and I still feel like I’ve got so much to give to this football club. I’m happy that I’ve got the chance to do it. I’m really looking forward to working with the Head Coach."

Holmes added: "A couple of months ago Derby played Huddersfield Town in a behind-closed-doors game and I didn’t have to play, but I wanted to play because I wanted to come here and kind of drop it into Brombs (Leigh Bromby) that I wanted to come back!

"So, I played in that game and I spoke to Leigh and since then we’ve been working to try and get it done."

He played 26 times for Huddersfield early in his career and had loan spells at Yeovil and Bury before he joined Scunthorpe United on a free in the summer of 2016.

He signed for Derby in August 2018 and made 83 appearances, scoring six goals, but he has not been in manager Wayne Rooney's first-team plans since the turn of the year.

He has not made the match-day 20 in the last four league games against Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham United, Bournemouth and Queens Park Rangers, and managed only one goal in 15 games (eight starts) this season.

Even though players are not supposed to do so, Holmes has very clearly evidenced that it does happen - he then refused to play, until deal was done - knowing Derby were under a transfer embargo for signing players.

True but knowing the way we shift players I wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone in the next few days.

He has missed 45% of the games played during his time here; he missed 33% of the games at his previous Club; it makes you wonder if he would pass a medical.

If he passes a medical and you manage to get an extra 15 to 20% more game time from him, it is doubtful if his appearance record would improve any such is the regularity in which he picks up bookings - 1 every 2.5 games

Some of the bookings have been quite harsh (probably through accumulation) but referee's have him down as a marked man now and there is nothing you can do about that

Feel Mao’s comment about being free to talk to clubs and moving at the end of the season is the most likely.

How would people feel about trialing Lolley at Right Back?

He’s too much of a goal threat in the long term in my opinion, but in the meantime whilst he’s struggling to score, he would bring the same energy, get stuck in, bomb up and down and overlap like Cash did. He is a left footer, which is the caveat, but him and Knockaert might work well?

He has missed 45% of the games played during his time here; he missed 33% of the games at his previous Club; it makes you wonder if he would pass a medical.

If he passes a medical and you manage to get an extra 15 to 20% more game time from him, it is doubtful if his appearance record would improve any such is the regularity in which he picks up bookings - 1 every 2.5 games

Some of the bookings have been quite harsh (probably through accumulation) but referee's have him down as a marked man now and there is nothing you can do about that
That’s pretty much why I think he could be gone sooner. He certainly won’t get another contract here.

However good he may or may not be he just isn’t a player we can rely on.

Feel Mao’s comment about being free to talk to clubs and moving at the end of the season is the most likely.

See the article above about Duane Holmes - clubs know it happens, players/agents have to be cute and keep it off social media etc - but, if Sow goes, it will be for a pay cut.

If he stays, will he feign injury - just to pick up a wage?

As you can see, we'll end up over a barrel - either paying wages for remainder of season or letting him go for free as it's the lesser of 2 evils!

He’s too much of a goal threat in the long term in my opinion, but in the meantime whilst he’s struggling to score, he would bring the same energy, get stuck in, bomb up and down and overlap like Cash did. He is a left footer, which is the caveat, but him and Knockaert might work well?

Would moving Lolley to Full Back get you anywhere near as excited as last Saturdays team selection did?

I just cannot see Lolley emulating what Cash did; even amongst those people who doubted Cash's ability to play full back there was never any doubt about his tackling ability or his mobility.

Trying to shoe horn players into the side will not work in the long run; if Lolley is unhappy with not being in the side he needs to play better.

Need to go three at the back.

A couple of late loans to ensure safety. Several clubs will be selling or letting go this summer. If we have any cash available, buy Jephcott and loan him back to Plymouth.

Would moving Lolley to Full Back get you anywhere near as excited as last Saturdays team selection did?

I just cannot see Lolley emulating what Cash did; even amongst those people who doubted Cash's ability to play full back there was never any doubt about his tackling ability or his mobility.

Trying to shoe horn players into the side will not work in the long run; if Lolley is unhappy with not being in the side he needs to play better.

Not saying it’s ideal, but I do think Lolley and Cash share a few similar qualities and if you were to eliminate the Cash comparison and just ask ‘Lolley trial or continue with Christie/Jenkinson’ I think I’d be tempted to give it a go. It’s not like you’d be losing outstanding defending ability if Christie were left out... and let’s be honest, you’d be gaining if jenkinsons out, regardless of if anyone came in or not!