#COVID19 | Page 786 | Vital Football

#COVID19

I think the factory worker concerns come from the meat industry where social distancing is all but unfeasible.

No easy answers here cos we dont have enough vaccine. In general i agree with vaccinating those people who keep us healthy, fed and safe first.

Yep, Maslow's hierarchy of needs in action.

Continuing the AZ vaccine news, The CEO went on to signal that doses manufactured in the UK would not be diverted to the Continent after, EU leaders reportedly asked whether British vaccines could help make up the shortfall.

"The contract with the UK was signed first and the UK, of course, said 'you supply us first' and this is fair enough," Soriot said. "As soon as we can, we'll help the EU."

Sources at the firm also pointed out that Italy, Germany, France and the Netherlands had reached a preliminary agreement in June, only for the EU Commission to insist on formalising the deal – which took another two months.

Asked whether the EU had left it too late, Soriot replied: "I will not pass judgment on this. But I can only tell you the facts, and the facts are that we basically signed an agreement with the UK three months before we did have it with Europe. The UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal. So with the UK we have had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced. As for Europe, we are three months behind in fixing those glitches.
Look, the sites that have the lowest productivity in the network are the sites that are supplying Europe. One of the plants with the highest yield is in the UK because it started earlier."

Sources close to AstraZeneca said dedicated supply chains had been set up for each international agreement to prevent countries squabbling over the same doses.

Looks like we are on course, great news.

It pretty much is Boris in an office making decisions to be fair

And, as I said previously, once you get to the lower risk ages it doesn't make sense to do it based on risk. It makes sense to do it based on reopening the country and who is the priority for that.

Life saving public services first.

Then you look at who else you need to be able to be at work all the time. In reality, that is teachers/school staff (don't forget them, they are vital) ahead of supermarket workers and security guards, where you have more than enough relief staff and casual workers to cover sick or isolating colleagues, whereas you cannot have too many staff off and run a functioning school

If the parameters change, there may be a better reason for doing other groups. At the moment they are saying that the vaccine doesn't stop you getting the illness, or stop you passing it on. My guess is it will to at least some extent , but until they have any scientific proof and anyone testing positive or being near anyone positive has to isolate , vaccinating a group for economic reasons doesn't really make any difference.

Continuing the AZ vaccine news, The CEO went on to signal that doses manufactured in the UK would not be diverted to the Continent after, EU leaders reportedly asked whether British vaccines could help make up the shortfall.

"The contract with the UK was signed first and the UK, of course, said 'you supply us first' and this is fair enough," Soriot said. "As soon as we can, we'll help the EU."

Sources at the firm also pointed out that Italy, Germany, France and the Netherlands had reached a preliminary agreement in June, only for the EU Commission to insist on formalising the deal – which took another two months.

Asked whether the EU had left it too late, Soriot replied: "I will not pass judgment on this. But I can only tell you the facts, and the facts are that we basically signed an agreement with the UK three months before we did have it with Europe. The UK contract was signed three months before the European vaccine deal. So with the UK we have had an extra three months to fix all the glitches we experienced. As for Europe, we are three months behind in fixing those glitches.
Look, the sites that have the lowest productivity in the network are the sites that are supplying Europe. One of the plants with the highest yield is in the UK because it started earlier."

Sources close to AstraZeneca said dedicated supply chains had been set up for each international agreement to prevent countries squabbling over the same doses.

Any idea why the number of vaccinations has fallen over the last couple of days ? Not unusual at the weekend (though Saturday was a new record) , but Monday was disappointing. Is it just the weather, in which case they should catch up again, or is there a bottleneck in the supply ?

Any idea why the number of vaccinations has fallen over the last couple of days ? Not unusual at the weekend (though Saturday was a new record) , but Monday was disappointing. Is it just the weather, in which case they should catch up again, or is there a bottleneck in the supply ?

It's called 'returns'
The admin staff have to return information to the central hub which is then updated, this will not have happened for Saturday's until Monday/Tuesday.
The lag is crazy, some of it is deliberate, because the pressure the DHSC are putting on PCNs to deliver is huge, so some PCN networks sandbag the figures.

There are supply issues with the Pfizer one, not sure what though, will try and find out.

Last edited:
They should, anyone with half a brain new it was going to damage the economy & all the experts warning about it were shouted down as project fear or told that this country had, had enough of experts.

What's happened to all the "experts" who last Summer were saying Britain was stupid to go it alone and should gratefully take up the EU's "generous offer" to join its vaccine buying programme?

What's happened to all the "experts" who last Summer were saying Britain was stupid to go it alone and should gratefully take up the EU's "generous offer" to join its vaccine buying programme?

They are probably self isolating, dying alone in a plastic tent, wondering where the PPE is or pointing out all the things that could’ve been improved on the track & trace system m, you know the many many things the butcher has got wrong

I am not expecting you to get many likes for this post so it gives me great pleasure to be the first and more than likely the only one.Once again the EU are showing just how shit they are when it comes to decision making. No opinions or reference to obscure pieces from unknown jornos, but a direct quote from the CEO of a vaccine manufacturer.

It's called 'returns'
The admin staff have to return information to the central hub which is then updated, this will not have happened for Saturday's until Monday/Tuesday.
The lag is crazy, some of it is deliberate, because the pressure the DHSC are putting on PCNs to deliver is huge, so some PCN networks sandbag the figures.

There are supply issues with the Pfizer one, not sure what though, will try and find out.

My sister says someone who went to Long Eaton on the Sunday got the Pfizer jab, but on the Monday they had switched to AZ. Guess some of the Pfizer might have to be held back now after the EU threat, to ensure second doses are available.

Metal workers apparently

You do know that metal is not the only thing produced in a factory don't you?

Pretty much everything you use, wear, drive, pick up, eat is made in a factory.
They are pretty damn essential, and bringing it down to comparisons to metalwork, which was one of 'those' subjects in school, is not correct.

I actually agree with you that teachers should be a priority, though.

Regarding the one dose strategy which has been questioned...

The CEO of AZ again...

I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. I cannot comment about the Pfizer vaccine, whose studies are for a three-week interval. In our case, the trial we're talking about was conducted by Oxford University. We AZ are conducting the US trial, which we think is going to be ready very soon. Oxford University conducted the so-called Oxford trial in UK and Brazil, and we have data for patients who received the vaccine in one-month interval, 2 or 3 months interval. First of all, we believe that the efficacy of one dose is sufficient: 100 percent protection against severe disease and hospitalisation, and 71-73 percent of efficacy overall. The second dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later than earlier. We are going to do a study in the US and globally to use two-month dose interval to confirm that this is indeed the case, there are many reasons to believe it is the case with our vaccine.
We have a different technology. First of all, when you look at level of antibody production, this is higher if you give the second dose three months or two months later than one month later. Also, if you look at Ebola, its vaccine, which is also using the Adenoviral vector like the Covid one, the second dose needs to be given eight weeks later. Finally, the J&J vaccine with Adenoviral vector also are performing studies on a two-month interval. And J&J has the same technology as ours. Therefore, for our vaccine, there is no doubt in my mind that the way the UK is going is the best way, because right now you have a limited amount of vaccine, but also you have a limited number of doctors and nurses able to inject people. So you maximize the number of people who get one dose. You give them enough protection for two or three months, then you give them the second dose after 3 months. By March, the UK will have vaccinated maybe 28 or 30 million people. The Prime Minister has a goal to vaccinate 15 million people by mid-February, and they're already at 6,5 million. So they will get there".

Regarding the one dose strategy which has been questioned...

The CEO of AZ again...

I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. I cannot comment about the Pfizer vaccine, whose studies are for a three-week interval. In our case, the trial we're talking about was conducted by Oxford University. We AZ are conducting the US trial, which we think is going to be ready very soon. Oxford University conducted the so-called Oxford trial in UK and Brazil, and we have data for patients who received the vaccine in one-month interval, 2 or 3 months interval. First of all, we believe that the efficacy of one dose is sufficient: 100 percent protection against severe disease and hospitalisation, and 71-73 percent of efficacy overall. The second dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later than earlier. We are going to do a study in the US and globally to use two-month dose interval to confirm that this is indeed the case, there are many reasons to believe it is the case with our vaccine.
We have a different technology. First of all, when you look at level of antibody production, this is higher if you give the second dose three months or two months later than one month later. Also, if you look at Ebola, its vaccine, which is also using the Adenoviral vector like the Covid one, the second dose needs to be given eight weeks later. Finally, the J&J vaccine with Adenoviral vector also are performing studies on a two-month interval. And J&J has the same technology as ours. Therefore, for our vaccine, there is no doubt in my mind that the way the UK is going is the best way, because right now you have a limited amount of vaccine, but also you have a limited number of doctors and nurses able to inject people. So you maximize the number of people who get one dose. You give them enough protection for two or three months, then you give them the second dose after 3 months. By March, the UK will have vaccinated maybe 28 or 30 million people. The Prime Minister has a goal to vaccinate 15 million people by mid-February, and they're already at 6,5 million. So they will get there".
This is so obviously such a load of bollocks that i am surprised that you have posted it. I read on another forum and in an article from a bloke who's name escapes me on facebook that this is definitely not the case.

You do know that metal is not the only thing produced in a factory don't you?

Pretty much everything you use, wear, drive, pick up, eat is made in a factory.
They are pretty damn essential, and bringing it down to comparisons to metalwork, which was one of 'those' subjects in school, is not correct.

I actually agree with you that teachers should be a priority, though.
I don't think they produce meat products in a sheet metal factory.

Fortunately the vaccine rollout is one thing we can be justifiably proud about, and as such, any decisions made about which groups/occupations or whichever way it's determined, should mean that there will only be a week or two between them all.

Pascal Soriot, The CEO of AstraZeneca stated yesterday that he believed the UK was on course to administer doses to "maybe 28 or 30 million people" within weeks (that's almost half the population) and nearly everyone aged over 50 will be inoculated by March.

This puts the pressure on the NHS to deliver it, as supply would appear to not be too much of an issue from AZ. (Pfizer is another issue if the EU strangle them).

Soriot went on and revealed that British plants had among the best yield in the world after spending months perfecting the process, while EU factories had been left with the "lowest productivity in the network". "By March, the UK will have vaccinated maybe 28 or 30 million people. The Prime Minister has a goal to vaccinate 15 million people by mid-February, and they're already at 6.5 million. So they will get there," Soriot told Italian newspaper, La Repubblica.

Then we can start going to the boozer again, assuming they've not all gone.

On that, I'd wager that when we are let loose, the good ole British pub may see a bit of a renaissance and, with fewer about, the ones which have lasted will hopefully see their owners smiling again. After all, Tim Martin would deserve it ;-)
it doesnt stop the spread and people are only getting part dose which isnt very effective, well, 1/3rd of its effectiveness.
Its a bit like the ppe gloves being labelled as 2 items just to make the numbers seem better