January Signings | Page 14 | Vital Football

January Signings

I ask again, is the Prince our man?

An emphatic yes from me in answer to that question. It's the coaching and playing staff that have let the club down badly this season, not the Prince.

Going forward the question has to be - is Chris Wilder still the Prince's man ?

An emphatic yes from me in answer to that question. It's the coaching and playing staff that have let the club down badly this season, not the Prince.

i agree the signings have been a total waste of money. but i still want wilder to bring us back up.

They have to be careful in that case because too little trust in Wilder is what is most likely to lead to his departure.

The recruitment team definitely needs revamping, and I'd be angry and disappointed if Wilder wasn't open to change in that department. He's in no position to resist.

I cant understand it, the chief scout was so good at recruiting for his Sunday league team. How different can the prem league be.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have an opposite view on this, which I've mentioned before. Price hasn't backed the club financially, yes we've spent around £50million but that's nothing compared to what most clubs spend in the Premier League. Either he doesn't have the cash or he is looking out for the clubs finances due to the current climate

i agree the signings have been a total waste of money. but i still want wilder to bring us back up.

I think Twirls if CW hangs on to the end of the season his position is going to be up for review and he'll need to convince the Prince he can take us back up.

If the board and CW aren't on the same page when it comes to recruitment it's hard to see a future for the relationship.

I have an opposite view on this, which I've mentioned before. Price hasn't backed the club financially, yes we've spent around £50million but that's nothing compared to what most clubs spend in the Premier League. Either he doesn't have the cash or he is looking out for the clubs finances due to the current climate

Compare our spending with other PL clubs this past two years. Compare our spending this past two years with what we've spent historically.

The Prince's financial backing of CW exceeded my expectations.

I ask again, is the Prince our man?
It’s 50/50 for me I think we the way the club is run as a whole has improved. I also like the idea of Project Prince where feeder clubs nurture young talent who can eventually play for SUFC. The bad part is the lack of real premiership investment. We will never compete with our current levels of player investment unless we are all happy just been top end championship. This has to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I think Twirls if CW hangs on to the end of the season his position is going to be up for review and he'll need to convince the Prince he can take us back up.

If the board and CW aren't on the same page when it comes to recruitment it's hard to see a future for the relationship.
yep ya could be right. hes royally fucked up wi the signings he really as.

23 million on brewster, not what was needed at this time
berge 22 million,just not had the impact
lowe and bogle 11 million. another for the future
rammers 18 million. could have got foster from watford for half that
20 million mcburnie cant , dosnt score or assist

burke 4m been the best so far but yet again dosnt score
all the above should do well in champ though. but we should have signed for the here and now the today not the tomorrow. all will be forgiven if we bounce straight back up ,but no guarantees we gonna do. weve fucked up simple as

all the above should do well in champ though. but we should have signed for the here and now the today not the tomorrow. all will be forgiven if we bounce straight back up ,but no guarantees we gonna do. weve fucked up simple as

Did we spend 4 million on Burke PLUS Robinson. If so fuck me.

They have to be careful in that case because too little trust in Wilder is what is most likely to lead to his departure.

The recruitment team definitely needs revamping, and I'd be angry and disappointed if Wilder wasn't open to change in that department. He's in no position to resist.

Their priority is to ensure they don't put the club at financial risk more than they have done already. The board and the Prince have to be in total agreement that Wilder can rediscover his mojo and is the man to bring us back up if we go down. Not to bothered about upsetting Wilder's feelings to be honest it's totally about the football club not individuals. Worst scenario would be to waste half of next season and more money if he isn't up to it, that's what the board have to decide, don't envy them that job.

I like the Brizzle City keeper Daniel Bentley, Twirls and i doubt he'd have cost owt like what Rammers did but i do think Rammers is better than he's showing at the moment.I think Berge's a very good player and i'm even more sure Brewster will be a future star but i take your point we needed a more experienced striker but as i've mentioned before it's a lot easier to mention players on here than it is to sign them.UTMPB

I think it would be a huge mistake to change managers for the Championship. I am sure Wilder will do well. The question is more around whether the recruitment, the lack of flexibility and tactics are good enough for the Premiership.

Last edited:
I think there’s a bit of Keir Starmerism going on in the fanbase right now. Before this season, not many fans seemed to have an issue with how well the Prince had backed Wilder. Regarding recruitment, it’s been great just as long as we don’t spend more than a couple of £million on a player...we’ve obviously been shopping in the wrong pool. :whist:⚔️

Their priority is to ensure they don't put the club at financial risk more than they have done already. The board and the Prince have to be in total agreement that Wilder can rediscover his mojo and is the man to bring us back up if we go down. Not to bothered about upsetting Wilder's feelings to be honest it's totally about the football club not individuals. Worst scenario would be to waste half of next season and more money if he isn't up to it, that's what the board have to decide, don't envy them that job.
I recall when Warnock was manager and we were relegated and there was a big outcry for him to go, Shoes off in't car park type of thing,Warnock left and within 6 months the same fans were going nuts that Warnock was allowed to leave.I accept with Robson as boss it wasn't a big surprise what i'm saying is fans should be careful what they wish for,i also recall Charlton fans moaning that Curbishley had taken them as far as he could,he got the push and thye've never been close to where they were under him.I'm still backing our Chris and yes obviously he's made mistakes this season(before i get the tek your red&white specs off ballax)in my opinion he still deserves the chance to carry on as our boss.By the way Dezza this reply isn't having a dig at you,just saying as fans we should be careful what we wish for.UTMPB

I recall when Warnock was manager and we were relegated and there was a big outcry for him to go, Shoes off in't car park type of thing,Warnock left and within 6 months the same fans were going nuts that Warnock was allowed to leave.I accept with Robson as boss it wasn't a big surprise what i'm saying is fans should be careful what they wish for,i also recall Charlton fans moaning that Curbishley had taken them as far as he could,he got the push and thye've never been close to where they were under him.I'm still backing our Chris and yes obviously he's made mistakes this season(before i get the tek your red&white specs off ballax)in my opinion he still deserves the chance to carry on as our boss.By the way Dezza this reply isn't having a dig at you,just saying as fans we should be careful what we wish for.UTMPB

It's the board that will make the decision, harsh but sentiment shouldn't come into it, should be based purely on the belief he can replicate his magic touch. If we do go down the contracts we have dished out to players manager make it imperative we bounce straight back, or we will have a repeat of the Robson legacy. Hopefully the board will have replacements in mind should Wilder walks or is fired. Hopefully results will improve for the rest of the season and give us hope that Wilder still has the magic touch we will see.

It's not about hurting his feelings, it's about retaining his services as manager, which I think is still in the interests of the club.

I hope he's told some home truths and is grown up enough not to throw his toys out of the pram and walk. But he's so stubborn and egotistical that it will be a fine line to walk.

At 4 mill plus Robinson he would be valued at 8 mill. I usually agree with you but not on this one. If we got 2 mill plus Burke for Robinson we did well.

I think it was closer to a straight swap wasn't it. If anything we received money for Robinson.

It wouldn't value Burke much over £5m.

At anything around that price he's worth it for potential but mainly for the massive impact he can have in the Championship,

I see him getting double figures next season and being a huge asset with his pace and dribbling.