Jan Transfer Window | Page 36 | Vital Football

Jan Transfer Window

I dont think he's particularly held in high esteem, I think when he passed there was a realisation that for all his faults he was a forest fan who cared about the club.

Also I didn't bring him up, someone was using ND as an example to justify EM'S reign of terror...

I know, ND & his family were/are Forest fans - unfortunately, it's the same up & down the land, fans are very quick to turn on owners.

The whole ownership argument will see both you & Mao 'being right'.

I don't know enough about EM to know whether the allegations against him are true or not, but there has been an improvement compared to what went before at NFFC.

Perhaps, with Hughton as Manager and Vrentros taking a back seat, the atmosphere may improve?

You only have to look at other clubs; Derby, Chelsea, Leeds, Owls etc etc

The owners are heroes one minute, villains the next.

IMO (currently) EM > Fawaz/Scholar etc

Not sure about the comparison with ND just yet.

Unfortunately I think owners in general are in a no win position. Depending on where the club is within the league, if they don't invest in players and the club breaks even, they have no ambition. Invest and there is no success they have wasted money and time. Invest even more and don't get success and break FFP they are not fit and proper. Unfortunately, as Forest fans we have been spoilt by the success in one short spell so anything other than challenging for the top 6 of the highest division will not be good enough, for some. So of all the reasons above forest are fans (not all) are blaming the owner(s) for all of them at some point.
If you look at the size of the city and surrounds, along with the capacity of the ground, we should probably be around the bottom third of the prem.
Being honest, how many owners can run a company loosing £500k per month and how many are based in Nottinghamshire? Then factor in would they be prepared to accept the vile rantings of certain fans, protests outside the ground and then abusing their family?
So before you type -
"just run the club properly and get a good management team in". Do you not think that is what all owners are trying to do? They want success like the fans.
"Just get Mr x in to manage the club" They probably don't want to come!

What is the answer. For me two things. Firstly I do like the idea of looking at stats, they be distorted but over a period of time even out. One of our past assistant and/or manager would look at the team, see what is required and then go and find that person. They didnt necessarily use states as they didnt need those to see what was wrong.
Secondly, coaching and attention to detail. As the manager / coach you should know what is required to win games, a game plan. You coach that and select the team. If players that are coached the game plan and either cannot stick to it or refuse to, well dont select them next time. If they are not good enough, thats your transfer policy. If your game plan is not working, change the plan or perhaps you are just not very good at your job.

CH has a track record of being generally successful. I'm not totally convinced he has the coaches around him he would want to achieve that success currently, but its up to him to resolve that.

I know, ND & his family were/are Forest fans - unfortunately, it's the same up & down the land, fans are very quick to turn on owners.

The whole ownership argument will see both you & Mao 'being right'.

I don't know enough about EM to know whether the allegations against him are true or not, but there has been an improvement compared to what went before at NFFC.

Perhaps, with Hughton as Manager and Vrentros taking a back seat, the atmosphere may improve?

You only have to look at other clubs; Derby, Chelsea, Leeds, Owls etc etc

The owners are heroes one minute, villains the next.

IMO (currently) EM > Fawaz/Scholar etc

Not sure about the comparison with ND just yet.

Fawaz > Wray/Scholar

We don't need gosling, we've 5 players in the same mold, colback must be close to returning just a waste of space can we not get an attack minded player?

Lets face it, it is a bullshit question; but if that's the game you want to play, so be it.

It took Doughty 10 whole seasons to manage the dizzy heights of a third place finish; are you prepared to allow EM a similar time frame?

Sure, let's see where we land. 4 seasons so far with no top 6, let alone top 3.

Where has the Gosling rumour come from other than the click bait sites?

Is there anything substantive about the rumour?

If this is a loan deal, I fail to see what the problem is with is age.

I would rather sign a player on loan with experience than try to develop another Clubs youngsters for them.

Some people will have you believe experience is unimportant; they could not be further from the truth.

The youthful Leeds team which won the League last season had a 34 year old Kiko Casilla, a 32 year old Gaetano Berardi, a 30 year old Mat Klich and a 34 year old Pablo Hernandez, all signed with zero sell on potential.

Compare that with the geriatrics at West Brom who had 37 year old Andy Lonergan, 36 yo Branislav Ivanovic, 34 yo Lee Peltier, 31 yo Jake Livermore, an absolute steal at 10m, 32 yo Kamil Grosicki, who he? and 31 year old Charlie Austin.

Another injury prone dogshit hasbeen with nothing to prove coming for either a final payday or an expensive loan.

Makes you wonder if the injury to Yates is a little more serious? If it's a tear, then probably 6-8 weeks out.

Colback was injured in the home game against Swansea (end November), clear foul - yet again missed by a ref and he's been out with his ankle injury since then - latest update was that he was a few weeks behind Arter - who they hoped would return to training this week.

Arter & Sow are both injury prone, Bachirou & Freeman both been out for months too - perhaps it's out of necessity.

Personally, I'd prefer us to get someone younger - but, finances are clearly an issue for all teams with significantly reduced revenue streams.

An interesting point being made is that we have 5 players on loan currently and that current rules are that only 5 are allowed in the match day squad.
So if we sign another, one of the current crop don't play, we send one of them back or make their loan permanent.

An interesting point being made is that we have 5 players on loan currently and that current rules are that only 5 are allowed in the match day squad.
So if we sign another, one of the current crop don't play, we send one of them back or make their loan permanent.

We can sign 8 loans but only include 5 in a match day squad.

One of our loans is just returning from Injury and judging by his performance on Saturday he is still a month away from full fitness

Bit sceptical about Gosling for the reasons others have stated, but he seems to have a very good reputation amongst Bournemouth fans. He’s regarded as a box to box rather than a defensive midfielder and someone who is a leader on the field.

It makes sense that CH is trying to address central midfield, where we seem to have a ton of very similar options but no good combinations.

Last edited: