Henderson | Vital Football

Henderson

Oxblade

Vital Newbie
Still can't get used to him playing for another team. Guess reminds me of better times.
Can't bare to watch us this season so not seen enough of Rammers.

Don't be too worried about it. If Rammy had let in Salas shot This forum would have been in melt down by now.
Lol, maybe PR but that said, compared to other forums and social media, this forum’s reactions are relatively calm and measured.

Didn't see the Manure /Pool match but , here in Manchester, the Cult of Hendo is not so well cultivated ( mainly by Hendo) as it was at BDBL.

He has his faults but success covers up so much, if failing then the scrutiny increases and the real truth emerges- and that's what's happening at BDBL and one of the protaganists comes up well short to date.

TT Hendo was a showman who was able to cultivate the Cop and of course they were there to applaud his many good saves, which would certainly give him confidence. Also give him some leeway when he made mistakes. Unfortunately Rammy didn't have the benefit of a large crowd behind him from the start. In hindsight now the errors are coming it's as well their isn't a crowd or I could see a repetition of the Long saga.

TT Hendo was a showman who was able to cultivate the Cop and of course they were there to applaud his many good saves, which would certainly give him confidence. Also give him some leeway when he made mistakes. Unfortunately Rammy didn't have the benefit of a large crowd behind him from the start. In hindsight now the errors are coming it's as well their isn't a crowd or I could see a repetition of the Long saga.
Exactly PR, Hendo played the fans for all he was worth and got away with his weaknesses because they were hidden in the overall success and his PR was better.I have consciously not tried to use him when criticising R/dale as , basically, it's irrelevant. The one big thing in Hendo's favour, technically, is that he's more athletic, has a better spring and for me, better anticipation.

A crowd behind R/dale might well have spurred him, and the rest, on but none of them could help him when he comes for crosses and drops them or lets the ball squirm away, they are down o him and why he's not good enough ATM

Blades recognise and appreciate a good keeper and, as one of our own,he may well have got more leeway than others but , ultimately, it's down to the player and, if the player does not perform, then the crowd only has so much patience.

Regardless of that R/dale will get a great reception when there is a crowd behind him- but, after that, it's down to him as to whether that continues.

Lol, maybe PR but that said, compared to other forums and social media, this forum’s reactions are relatively calm and measured.
That's cos most of us are owd BLADES and we've seen our beloved club in alot worse situations than this.I must admit watching the Manure/scouse game i had a chuckle when both the scouse goals were scored and thought i wonder if Rammers will get the blame on some of the BLADES FB forums.:giggle: UTMPB

Last edited:
Looking forward to Wilder's match interview, will any of the presenters be brave enough to ask about Ramsdale's form, highly unlikely but you never know. Certainly the main theme on media streams, be interesting to get Wilder's take on it, whatever the response.

Watched the game and thought Hendo was no better than Ramsdale.....again. He was behind a defence performing at levels virtually unseen by a Blades team. Looks average behind Man Yoos lumbering backline.
That said I note and agree with a number of Ramsdale issues, namely flapping and diving randomly.
Agree to some extent but I think Ramsdale may prove to be a better keeper for us than Henderson. Yes he has flapped a bit but his positional sense is good, has very good reactions and can catch a ball better than Henderson imo. Never easy to follow a popular goalkeeper especially when he performed in our first good premiership season for almost a lifetime and the first for many blades.
Ramsdale reminds me of the late, great John Hope. We all know what a clown he could be then the next moment out of this world. He was in the England u23 squad too and had the unforgiving job of following our best ever goal keeper, Hodgy. We all ended up loving the guy though, warts and all.

Let's all get behind Rammers and make him a Blades legend. We could certainly do with one!

Agree to some extent but I think Ramsdale may prove to be a better keeper for us than Henderson. Yes he has flapped a bit but his positional sense is good, has very good reactions and can catch a ball better than Henderson imo. Never easy to follow a popular goalkeeper especially when he performed in our first good premiership season for almost a lifetime and the first for many blades.
Ramsdale reminds me of the late, great John Hope. We all know what a clown he could be then the next moment out of this world. He was in the England u23 squad too and had the unforgiving job of following our best ever goal keeper, Hodgy. We all ended up loving the guy though, warts and all.

Let's all get behind Rammers and make him a Blades legend. We could certainly do with one!
Well said. I think we should buy Rammy a lucky Gonk. Do they still sell them?
163DA42E-E53D-4CAA-B788-6ADA19C40419.jpeg

I've hesitated to use the comparison with John Grope because I thought he was, how shall I put it,less than competent - much less than Ramsdale. He did keep 7clean sheets in a row, a Blades record at the time.

Any similarities between the two are the ones where there is a bad error and, in that respect R/daale is streets ahead of Hope in competence and ability.

His call up to the U23's was a 'two off' both as an injury replacement, he only played 101 games in total, 63 for us, in a career that spanned only 8yrs before going non league .He was on a free for 3 months before the mighty Darlington stepped in and he lasted 23 games there before non league beckoned.

If that sort of career is how you see R/dale then so be it. I think R/dale is far, far better than Hope but then again, in the pantheon of great SUFC keepers, John Hope wouldn't get on the 1st page.

I can see what you're getting at re. gaffes v the very good, but , overall, R/dale has not made the depth or calamitious gaffes that you saw too often from Hope.

Last edited:

at last another rammers fan. well said pal well said

at last another rammers fan. well said pal well said
I'm a Rammers fan like i am a fan of all our players Twirls,but i can't deny the lad is struggling just now.When he was at BDBL before he did seem to have a big personality and i think Bigglenaldo told me how Rammers used to encourage the younger Keepers at Shirecliffe after his training session had finished.UTMPB

I've hesitated to use the comparison with John Grope because I thought he was, how shall I put it,less than competent - much less than Ramsdale. He did keep 7clean sheets in a row, a Blades record at the time.

Any similarities between the two are the ones where there is a bad error and, in that respect R/daale is streets ahead of Hope in competence and ability.

His call up to the U23's was a 'two off' both as an injury replacement, he only played 101 games in total, 63 for us, in a career that spanned only 8yrs before going non league .He was on a free for 3 months before the mighty Darlington stepped in and he lasted 23 games there before non league beckoned.

If that sort of career is how you see R/dale then so be it. I think R/dale is far, far better than Hope but then again, in the pantheon of great SUFC keepers, John Hope wouldn't get on the 1st page.

I can see what you're getting at re. gaffes v the very good, but , overall, R/dale has not made the depth or calamitious gaffes that you saw too often from Hope.
I think John Hope played his part in us going up in 1971 when he replaced Hodgy who i think had gone well past his best TT.I was mad tho when we got the pig fan David Ford and Hopey and the Geordies got King Tudor in exchange.I used to rate Tudor highly,he was a great header of the ball.UTMPB

I think John Hope played his part in us going up in 1971 when he replaced Hodgy who i think had gone well past his best TT.I was mad tho when we got the pig fan David Ford and Hopey and the Geordies got King Tudor in exchange.I used to rate Tudor highly,he was a great header of the ball.UTMPB
Hodgy needed replacing true and Hope did play his part Rod but not a leading role in that the others were much more important in getting us there.
We definitely got the wrong end of that deal, a pig and a keeper with one 1st team game to his name, against a very good leader of the line

But we did better all round.
We got the one and only incomparable Trevor Hockey.

I can see what you're getting at re. gaffes v the very good, but , overall, R/dale has not made the depth or calamitious gaffes that
. We went to Oxford when John Hope played his first game for United after one of our greatest keepers in Hodgy started dropping crosses and the crowd started to get on at him. John had a great game plucking all the crosses out of the air majestically. He looked a world beater. He had a good spell for United but made a few mistakes and the crowd being unforgiving started on him. All keepers make mistakes just as Henderson did against Liverpool last night. Some of you veterans on here will remember a Gary Sprake dropping loads of gollocks for Leeds yet he had a long international career. Once the crowd start getting at a keeper it knocks their confidence. We need to back Ramsdale Instead of looking for faults in him.