US Presidential election | Page 55 | Vital Football

US Presidential election

Solar for the leccy, gas for cooking (though sometimes I'll cook outside on an open fire). Don't use much gas, probably a couple of 19kilo bottles every year. I'd need a huge solar array to be able to cook with electric, especially in the winter

I'll send the eco warriors down to you! lol
There's plenty of hot air from some of the posters on here, plenty for your needs 🙂

I'll send the eco warriors down to you! lol
There's plenty of hot air from some of the posters on here, plenty for your needs 🙂

I used to be an 'eco-warrior'! Well, I still am, I suppose. We were banging on about saving the planet from capitalism back in the 90s. And it wasn't even as if we were saying anything that hadn't been said thirty or so years previous to us. 'Eco-warrior' was a term of abuse that the media used to describe us.

But now environmentalism and ecology are all the rage; low-emission vehicles, vegan sausage rolls at Greggs, solar panels on roofs up and down the land, most households recycling their glass, tins, plastics and paper, awareness of carbon footprints, etc., etc.

Found this the other day, bought back a few memories:

I was reading an interesting theory this morning about Trump and why he may not be impeached by the Senate.
It’s alleged that if the Republicans vote for impeachment, he will stand as an independent in four years as head of his own party, thereby splitting the republicans vote and handing an easy victory to the Dems.
If the Republicans agree not to vote for impeachment, he’ll retract that threat.
It’s reckoned that there are enough Trumpists out there to make his threat viable and the GOP can’t take the chance.

If the Democrats can get enough Republicans to impeach Trump under section 14 (I think it is) then they will be able to ban him from standing for election for any party. There is some clause in the constitution that a person found guilty of treason against the US can't stand for election.

The problem for the Republican party is even if there are enough who hate Trump to want him not to stand again, there are enough Trump supporters who will sufficiently boycott those Republicans who vote to impeach. I think there will be a few Republicans who will choose to protect their own future election prospects than impeach Trump. Only a few like Mitt Romney who hate Trump with a passion and has already burnt his bridges with Trump supporters are likely to do their "Et tu, Brute?" routine.

I reckon the Republican establishment elite will then take lessons from the Democrat handbook of doing the dirty on Sanders twice to find a way of changing internal nominations so that Trump can't become their official candidate again.

This does not change the fact that in Australia there are 48 million kangaroos and in Uruguay, 3,457,380 inhabitants. Therefore, if the kangaroos decide to invade Uruguay, each Uruguayan will have to fight 14 kangaroos.

Ahhh yes .... but how would they get to Uruguay? Maybe New Zealand 🇳🇿 would be an easier target 🎯?

This does not change the fact that in Australia there are 48 million kangaroos and in Uruguay, 3,457,380 inhabitants. Therefore, if the kangaroos decide to invade Uruguay, each Uruguayan will have to fight 14 kangaroos.

Forget Kangeroos. Australia wants to send in the Emus

I used to be an 'eco-warrior'! Well, I still am, I suppose. We were banging on about saving the planet from capitalism back in the 90s. And it wasn't even as if we were saying anything that hadn't been said thirty or so years previous to us. 'Eco-warrior' was a term of abuse that the media used to describe us.

But now environmentalism and ecology are all the rage; low-emission vehicles, vegan sausage rolls at Greggs, solar panels on roofs up and down the land, most households recycling their glass, tins, plastics and paper, awareness of carbon footprints, etc., etc.

Found this the other day, bought back a few memories:

Which one is you?! Bloody awful music! lol I've always tried to recycle, even before the councils have us different bins and bags. Used to take my stuff to the recycling centres when passing. Always try to not put out the black bags, but seems to have food in it, which is not mine. When I lived in Southend they used to have food bins. Rarely put a black bag out when I was there. Doesn't help I have the kids back for the covid, they are the worst for recycling!

Which one is you?! Bloody awful music! lol I've always tried to recycle, even before the councils have us different bins and bags. Used to take my stuff to the recycling centres when passing. Always try to not put out the black bags, but seems to have food in it, which is not mine. When I lived in Southend they used to have food bins. Rarely put a black bag out when I was there. Doesn't help I have the kids back for the covid, they are the worst for recycling!

Not telling you!

The music at the beginning of the video is awful, couldn't agree with you more! It gets better towards the end though, nice bit of Culture Shock.

Not telling you!

The music at the beginning of the video is awful. Gets better towards the end.

You were the cheeky little kid? lol
If you think the music got better, then you were obviously singing on it. It's a no from me lol

the (free) "Floating Anarchy Tour" came to Medway College of Design, sometime 1977 or 78. (perhaps before your time, Buddy ... ?!)

Thanks Gilles. Yes, I'd have been very, very young. Was taken to the Stonehenge Free Festival in late 70s but I don't remember that!

Enjoyed the documentary, but was hoping to see Medway College of Design!

Had heard of Here and Now (and of course, Gong) and may have even heard the record (a long time ago). The cover certainly seems familiar.

I was reading an interesting theory this morning about Trump and why he may not be impeached by the Senate.
It’s alleged that if the Republicans vote for impeachment, he will stand as an independent in four years as head of his own party, thereby splitting the republicans vote and handing an easy victory to the Dems.
If the Republicans agree not to vote for impeachment, he’ll retract that threat.
It’s reckoned that there are enough Trumpists out there to make his threat viable and the GOP can’t take the chance.

That theory has got legs.

Whilst he couldn't stand himself as an independent if impeachment holds, there's no reason Ivanka or any of his other kids could stand instead. There's easily 20m loonies that would go with him at the moment, but as others have mentioned it could also be a lot more.

You could even have a Ted Cruz type could stand as an independent with the orange one's endorsement, which leaves the republicans in a bit of a pickle frankly.

The republicans, and right wing media in general have lied and lied and lied for years. Fox news was brought about to basically be a propaganda wing of the Republican Party, and has been spreading hate and nonsense calling it news for years.

Now, if you believed this diet of lies and opinions presented as facts over the last 20 years, then it's a fairly rational position to take to believe the far right lies that Trump gained power with.

The morally right thing to do in this situation, is to impeach Trump. The fact he called on and encouraged his followers (both overtly and dog whistle) to storm the capitol is pretty much not in question, which means he should be convicted.

So, the republicans can choose to impeach, distance themselves from Trump, take the loss in 2024 due to the Trump spoiling effect, and hope sanity returns to the world over the next 4-8 years that makes the far right look more insane than it does now.

OR, you make peace with him, and basically sell your soul to the far far right again, as they did for the 2016 election, to try and win power, to push through more tax cuts and remove even more regulations and safeguards, to basically undo everything that Biden/Harris accomplish during their tenure.

But then they risk losing Texas forever as it's on the verge of swinging blue, not to mention the high chances of Puerto Rico and DC being granted statehood, which would vote blue, which would basically make the reps ever winning an election again being very difficult indeed.

So what do they do?