MATCH DAY THREAD : The Mighty Blades v Plymouth Argyle h | Page 9 | Vital Football

MATCH DAY THREAD : The Mighty Blades v Plymouth Argyle h

england u23s first choice keeper, plays well almost every game,maybe because hes confident that the team in front of him will perform. can he do better of course he can ,but hes nowhere near as bad as your making out. if he was that bad why does wilder pick him. then again wilder picks mcburnie every game when hes fit hahahahahaahhahahaahahah
As others are saying Twirls, it's Hobson's choice when picking him- the other 2 are worse and bringing him in is looking worse by the week- a major mistake.

I've said before, being picked in goal for England is no big shakes, we're hardly overstocked with half decent England keepers, look at Pickford as the best we have. Really? That's a tragedy and will have Gordon Banks turning in his grave.

I've also said before it's his basic technique, not massive errors, and they are the problem. Look at that corner in 1st half injury time - it's a straightforward catch- no one around him-no challenge and he drops it and scrambles around on the floor to get hold of it.Would you expect any keeper anywhere to drop that? Of course not- and that's the 8th time he's done something similar this season.

He might come good- I hope so- but , with 2 relegations to his name in 2 seasons, he's on the road to nowhere ATM and needs to sharpen up sharpish.

Against a Lg 2 outfit, Lg 1 outfit and the worst team currently in the Prem.
Sorry if I don't feel even the slightest bulging in the trouser department.
Nah we’ve played two Lg 1 outfits Sean. It was the Scum that got the ‘easy’ tie against L2 outfit Crawley. Take your point though pal although at my age I’ll take any help that’s going in the trouser dept. ⚔️

As others are saying Twirls, it's Hobson's choice when picking him- the other 2 are worse and bringing him in is looking worse by the week- a major mistake.

I've said before, being picked in goal for England is no big shakes, we're hardly overstocked with half decent England keepers, look at Pickford as the best we have. Really? That's a tragedy and will have Gordon Banks turning in his grave.

I've also said before it's his basic technique, not massive errors, and they are the problem. Look at that corner in 1st half injury time - it's a straightforward catch- no one around him-no challenge and he drops it and scrambles around on the floor to get hold of it.Would you expect any keeper anywhere to drop that? Of course not- and that's the 8th time he's done something similar this season.

He might come good- I hope so- but , with 2 relegations to his name in 2 seasons, he's on the road to nowhere ATM and needs to sharpen up sharpish.
What I find strange is the Fotheringham transfer. We were apparently tracking him for 2 years. However a quick look on line and it is just universal that Rangers fans thought he was dogger. Verrips was supposed to be another good prospect but he is also the invisible man. The money we are wasting on wages for 6 plus players is a joke.

Makes you wonder where it’s all gone wrong with England’s keepers TT. We always seemed to have a couple of world class keepers vying for the shirt, some outstanding keepers hardly if ever got a look in. The last decent English keeper was Seaman and he played his last game in 2002. Since him they’ve been garbage and by and large all in the same mould like Rob Green, Scott Carson, Butland, Hart, Pickford all error prone and and average at best.

Hopefully Henderson and dare I say Ramsdale will become the exceptions one day. It’s amazing to think that not to long ago we’d got two keepers in Tracey and Kelly who were both better than anything in the current England setup.

What I find strange is the Fotheringham transfer. We were apparently tracking him for 2 years. However a quick look on line and it is just universal that Rangers fans thought he was dogger. Verrips was supposed to be another good prospect but he is also the invisible man. The money we are wasting on wages for 6 plus players is a joke.
It's difficult to comprehend the policy on bringing keepers in as those two just don't look to be solutions, or look like they expect to play 1st team football.

I said earlier that we should have been looking for a good 2nd from among the many bench warmers in the PL - look at Martinez, now at Villa for one, John Ruddy Wolves and I'm sure there are many others with decent PL experience that were less risky- to play in our 1st X1.

On the other hand, arguing against myself, R/dale fits the above criteria in terms of profile but with less experience than some.I honestly think that, somewhere along the line, someone's not done their homework properly, just looked at the headlines, the ex Blade bit, the B/mouth player of the year and a lot of diving around there but not really aanalysed his technique and skill set.

All transfers are a risk but not doing your due diligence on a keeper for the PL is criminal.

And what’s happened to Simon Moore? Are Verrips and Fotheringham really better than him, I doubt it. The only time we see him now is in the odd promotional video. I don’t think he’s done anything wrong whatsoever. He‘s never been outstanding but he was certainly competent enough to deputise based on the other two who are bizarrely now above him in the pecking order.

Makes you wonder where it’s all gone wrong with England’s keepers TT. We always seemed to have a couple of world class keepers vying for the shirt, some outstanding keepers hardly if ever got a look in. The last decent English keeper was Seaman and he played his last game in 2002. Since him they’ve been garbage and by and large all in the same mould like Rob Green, Scott Carson, Butland, Hart, Pickford all error prone and and average at best.

Hopefully Henderson and dare I say Ramsdale will become the exceptions one day. It’s amazing to think that not to long ago we’d got two keepers in Tracey and Kelly who were both better than anything in the current England setup.
I think much of it is to do with style over substance.

Soft hands ( keeping hold of the ball when it comes at you) has all but gone ot of the game in favour of blocking it and hoping the rest tidy up. Same with trying to catch the ball when making a save- I can't name one that does.The prevalence to punch, often two fisted, has me screaming at the tele- in 99% of those cases you can catch it and stop the attack dead.

Everyone says the ball moves more these days but I'd question that too. It's a lot lighter, a lot easier to deflect with one hand ( finger) but that also makes it easier to hold onto if you try to.

Keepers are probably more athletic so make more blocks and stops with their feet and that is a more valued quality than holding on to the ball- which is self defeating as it negates handling skills.

Very few come off their line and tidy up the 6yard box crosses etc ( I was told that Blackwell told P Kenny NOT to come for crosses) thus stopping all the goalmouth scrambles and starjump blocks etc.

For me commanding the area like that is a bit like the old adage that prevention is better than cure. These days keepers are judged on 'cure' , stopping attempts, as opposed to prevention, cutting out at source wwhere possible.

Like refs to a degree, the less you notice them the better game they have had but today's fashion is to have them diving all over looking herioc and making 'awesome' stops when they'd be better not letting it get to that stage -unless it's the last resort and then, regardless of what's happened in front of them, they earn their corn.

Can you imagine any present day keeper having the nous, positional sense, handling skills and speed of thought to stop Pele's header like the great Gordon Banks did?

he wa voted player of the season last season by the fans. . hes going through a nervous time because of the tripe in front of him, yes he can do better of course he can ,but hes not going to be perfect in everything he does all the time. his work load through a match is probably 5 to 10 times more than any other keeper in the prem . hes bound to look shakey at times. if had played at the start of last season he,d have the same confidence as the man united player had. he,d have been a reight buy ,everyone would be saying 18 million for a keeper of his calibre whos been called up by england. im sure of it. this team in front of him with the continued mistakes are letting him down badly. goal after goal after goal after goal coming from an outfield players cheap mistake. in keeper trems hes just starting his career. i for one have faith in him rising to the top and being a top keeper for us.

he wa voted player of the season last season by the fans. . hes going through a nervous time because of the tripe in front of him, yes he can do better of course he can ,but hes not going to be perfect in everything he does all the time. his work load through a match is probably 5 to 10 times more than any other keeper in the prem . hes bound to look shakey at times. if had played at the start of last season he,d have the same confidence as the man united player had. he,d have been a reight buy ,everyone would be saying 18 million for a keeper of his calibre whos been called up by england. im sure of it. this team in front of him with the continued mistakes are letting him down badly. goal after goal after goal after goal coming from an outfield players cheap mistake. in keeper trems hes just starting his career. i for one have faith in him rising to the top and being a top keeper for us.
Twirls, you can ignore the evidence that everyone esle can see as long as you like but I've outlined the deficiencies countless times and the fact that the fans thought he was their best player ony emphasises that he had more to do, more saves to make , and was therfore more noticeable and closer to the fans than the rest of the team.He was the one making the last ditch, after everything else had failed, attempts to stop goals so, naturally, became seen as a true ally busting a gut to prevent the inevitable- and, ultimately, he failed but was the biggest trier with the most effect- in a lost cause. the very stuff 'heroes' are made of.

Think about that, Pig fans think Bannon is better than Fleck so does that make it true?

He's got a similar workload to quite a few others. Yes he's made more saves , a few from his own mistakes, his drops, his poor handling.He wasn't that busy yesterday but screwed up badly twice, one unpunished,(dropped corner) one punished severely ( their goal) so that renders the 'busy boy' argument threadbare

How many saves has he made that are totally outstanding, unbelievable, breathtaking? 2 at most, the rest you would expect any competent keeper to make.

Do you blame Agurro or Vardy for being busy too, like you say R/dale is, because they score more goals, get more chances, have more to do ? Of course not, it's their job same as R/dale's is to make saves.You could argue being busy makes you better, gives you more opportunities to shine - or screw up!

We'll have to agree to differ on his ability and his failings.One thing we do agree on is that there is loads of room for improvement and we both want it- it's just that you're more confident of him doing that than I am.
I hope he proves you right

Last edited:
I think Rammers will be a decent keeper but there's no doubt he's struggling just now.I can see TT's point but what i will say is surely Wardy(our keeper coach) knows more about keepers than any of us do,altho some probably won't admit it.:giggle: I thought Rammers should've saved their goal yesdi but the big mistake was Lundy's very poor ball control that led to the chance. I hope we(or i should say some fans) don't create another George Long situation when some thought it was clever to sarcastically cheer when George picked up simple crosses or headed back passes. I don't care what level the 3 teams we've beaten play at,we won and i'm glad we won,does that mean i'm over the moon or thinking we've won the cup already no it doesn't but in a season like this one's been i'll cheer any win because i know as sure as i'm a BLADE missing going to BDBL some would've slaughtered the team the manager the board if we'd not won any of them, so as i say i'll enjoy the FACT we've won 3 out 4 games.UTMPB

Just watching the analysis of Liverpool’s poor form on the BBC. It looks like us tippy tappy around the box, too many touches and no early balls into the box. Confidence is such a huge part of football

Twirls, you can ignore the evidence that everyone esle can see as long as you like but I've outlined the deficiencies countless times and the fact that the fans thought he was their best player ony emphasises that he had more to do, more saves to make , and was therfore more noticeable and closer to the fans than the rest of the team.He was the one making the last ditch, after everything else had failed, attempts to stop goals so, naturally, became seen as a true ally busting a gut to prevent the inevitable- and, ultimately, he failed but was the biggest trier with the most effect- in a lost cause. the very stuff 'heroes' are made of.

Think about that, Pig fans think Bannon is better than Fleck so does that make it true?

He's got a similar workload to quite a few others. Yes he's made more saves , a few from his own mistakes, his drops, his poor handling.He wasn't that busy yesterday but screwed up badly twice, one unpunished,(dropped corner) one punished severely ( their goal) so that renders the 'busy boy' argument threadbare

How many saves has he made that are totally outstanding, unbelievable, breathtaking? 2 at most, the rest you would expect any competent keeper to make.

Do you blame Agurro or Vardy for being busy too, like you say R/dale is, because they score more goals, get more chances, have more to do ? Of course not, it's their job same as R/dale's is to make saves.You could argue being busy makes you better, gives you more opportunities to shine - or screw up!

We'll have to agree to differ on his ability and his failings.One thing we do agree on is that there is loads of room for improvement and we both want it- it's just that you're more confident of him doing that than I am.
I hope he proves you right
im not ignoring it ,but are you ignoring it what im saying about him being over worked, and im not really bothered what others on here are saying about rammers, the same as others on here arnt bothered what i say about how poor the team in front of him are. rammers will come good in my opinion. a mean just look at the super star henderson hes gone from being the greatest keeper on earth to letting goals in through his legs,and hes playing behind the best team in britain.

difference of opinion on rammers is fine . and i do see what some are getting at. up the blades