Aston Villa v Newcastle United Match Thread (Sat 23) | Page 31 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Newcastle United Match Thread (Sat 23)

Shout out for Matty Cash as well . I thought he was outstanding tonight.

He or Konsa actually would have been my man of the match because we left the backdoor open a lot. I think we knew we could do that but his recovery and interceptions were brilliant.

Realistically I think anyone could have got MotM for us except Barkley, Luiz, Martinez, and Watkins. The back four were sold, Marv made no mistakes and between Grealish and Bert they ran the game. Every dangerous attack came from those two.

That's about as easy as it gets. No need to break out of second gear. Just the sort of team you want to be up against when half your squad is recovering from Covid and a lack of match fitness/sharpness. Lots of positives to take from that. Marv and Konsa were the standout players for us tonight. Both absolutely Immense!

It was very chilled wasn't it. We played as if it was a training match. Never looked like conceding though, so it doesn't bother me! Remember shitting yourself last year being 2-0 up at half time?

Yes, that was exactly my thought. I sat here not worrying about them scoring, because when we needed to defend we stepped up...on the break we stepped up.

But at all other times (2nd half especially) we dropped gears and left them to fanny around.

So bizarre.

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith tells Sky Sports: "I thought we were good especially in the first half. We overplayed a little in the second half and could have scored a couple more.

"Really pleased for Ollie Watkins, it always weighs on forwards' minds and it was nice to get an early goal for himself. Really pleased, solid performance at 2-0 and another clean sheet at home.

"We have had three tough away games and we only got one point, there were some debatable decisions in the Manchester games but today we did well.

"I have Jack Grealish on four yellow cards and last couple of days he has had a tight hamstring. When you feel the game is done you can take him off. Ross Barkley has had eight weeks out but both showed their qualities."

On potential signings: "I have not spoken to our sporting director and there is obviously an inbound player and hopefully that is done soon."

Premier League LIVE: Aston Villa v Newcastle radio & text updates - Live - BBC Sport